Charity track days 2014

Twinspark

As some of you may know, I am involved with a group of gentlemen (not sure how that bit happened...) enthusiasts who raise money through track days.

At our last event at Castle Combe, we managed to raise just short of £4.5k - split between 2 PTSD charities - Combat Stress and Surf Action.

These days are very well run, with limited numbers invited, and all participants are especially well behaved on track. You need to be when sharing the track with anything from a supercharged Zetec Morris Minor, through 1960s Lotuses to Ford GT40 replicas and the latest McLaren supercar! - I don't know anywhere else you can share the track with such an eclectic mix of vehicles.

The organiser has asked us all if we know of other 'gentlemen' (or ladies!) who have similar attitudes to track driving who would like the opportunity to attend events next year.

Usually we do 2-3 at Castle Combe, 1 or 2 at Llandow and sometimes have been known to score Brooklands or Snetterton.

(I generally only do Combe or Llandow, but do plan to expand this year!)

The most rewarding part of the last event was giving passenger rides to (mostly young lads) veterans of recent conflicts as part of their therapy to help them with their PTSD.

Some photos from the last event are here:

https://www.facebook.com/DiddyChick/media_set?set=a.10153332993290191.1073741828.566865190&type=3

If anyone wants to join the mailing list - drop me a PM with email address - the only stipulation is that we don't want a load of Caterham style cars / Radicals etc., as it's a much more gentle day than that!

• 3 weeks later...

I'd be interested in this, maybe Dr O too, he lives near Llandow. I'll DM you my email address. If it's a good cause and you have an interesting line up and location we might cover it in the mag +++

Any chance of Cadwell, Donny or Rockingham?

If I am at home & you were to do any circuits closer to me, I would be up for it too.

Either Cadwell, Donny, Elvington, Croft or Blyton Park spring to mind.

The choice of tracks is limited to places where the organiser has a relationship by which the track time is either free or heavily discounted - as this gives the best return for the charities.

LLandow do it for nothing, from what I recall - and I believe Castle Combe just asked for the VAT to be paid last month.

Actually, Llandow is harder than it looks if you're going properly quick. Especially when there is a spinning 8 series in front if you :uhoh:

I like it there. Yes, it's short, but you can learn shorts circuits more quickly and really feel that you're mastering them.

• 4 weeks later...

You need to grab that 3 wheel Morgan demonstrator - I think that would go down really well.

If they do Llandow I might take it along, they're actually pretty useless on track, huge understeer and then *whup* you're suddenly on two wheels.

One day, when I am far from the clutches of Malvern's legal people, I will publish a little video clip of something that happened the last time I took one on track. ;)

Edited by theduisbergkid

If they do Llandow I might take it along, they're actually pretty useless on track, huge understeer and then *whup* you're suddenly on two wheels.

One day, when I am far from the clutches of Malvern's legal people, I will publish a little video clip of something that happened the last time I took one on track. ;)

You little tease Rich.

• 3 weeks later...