Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
News_Stig

Grainy new M3 shots.......

16 posts in this topic

See what you think of these new M3 shots and info.........

post-9259-0-90521300-1383227669_thumb.jp

post-9259-0-08446000-1383227860_thumb.jp

Power comes from a new 424 bhp 3.0-litre twin-turbo six-cylinder engine, expected to shove the rear-wheel drive M3 from 0-62 mph in around 4.5 seconds. Fuel economy will be in the region of 33 mpg, with CO2 emissions of less than 200 g/km.

Buyers will be able to choose between a seven-speed twin-clutch gearbox and a six-speed manual, while an aluminium bonnet, carbon roof and plastic tailgate will cut weight by around 80kg compared to its predecessor. Carbon-ceramic brakes will be offered as an option for the first time.

Six cylinder. Just wrong.

I know it'll bring the M range back to the E46 principles, but it's just wrong. It should be a V8.

I wonder how long before they're back to the 4 cylinders of the E30 M3...

Sooner the better, M3's were never meant to have V8's!

Nah, I disagree.  I don't care how brilliant BMW engineering might be, there is very little to beat the sound of a proper V8.  Well, except a V12.

Or the V10 in the R8. I reckon it has to be up there with the best car sound there is.

As for a V8, it isn't very touring car is it? Much as I adore mine, it doesn't feel like a focussed drivers machine to me.

Say what you see! Don't get me wrong, I do fecking love my car. Or do you mean the Audi V10 love?

I mean the V8 comment.

The V10 is superb too, I agree.

I do know what you mean, I think.  The 6 cylinder engines can feel very lithe.  The V8 have a more rolling feel.  However, the noise is sublime in the M3 V8, the RS V8's (when not muted), the S8 V8's, the M5 (when not piped through but with a proper exhaust on) etc. 

I loved the E46 M3 engine notes, but nothing compares with a V8 for me.  They sound good at every stage of the throttle.  Whereas the 6 cylinders are like the old M5/M6 engines - only truly appreciated at full throttle (as was the E46 M3).

The only thing I'd prefer is a V12. 

I love a good V8, but I can't help thinking there are probably plenty of M3 puritans out there who believe the E90/92 was wrong and going back to fewer cylinders is the right thing to do. Mind you, I expect all their heads exploded when BMW announced the M4...

I'd certainly like a go in the new one although it is a few years before I can even think about broaching buying one. Maybe 10 years optimistically.

Having had three BMW NA straight sixes in a row, I'm in love with that.  As said, only at its best when on full throttle, but that is a problem easily solved. 

A V8 and a turbo 6 are both different propositions.  I often feel tempted to get a tidy E46 M3... last of an era.

I'd love an E46 CS. Or a normal E92 in Estoril Blue ... I love the E46 M3.

People only buy 6-cylinder M3s because they can't afford V8 ones though!

;)

There's just something about a V8!  :)

People only buy 6-cylinder M3s because they can't afford V8 ones though!

;)

Yep, that would include me... :grin:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0