Audi did it right today

Scotty

I've been a member on RS246.com for over 10 years and still drop in there so it was great to be able to join them today at Millbrook for a day organised by Audi.

We really lucked out with the weather so that I left home on a Sunday morning with the sun shining. I rarely get to play in my car as fun days are generally on two wheels so this was the first day for a long time that I had a real play.

For me the route to Millbrook is quite fun and twisty and I really gave the car a work out. Everything set to dynamic and a heavy right foot meant I got there in plenty of time but my fuel economy was 15.5mpg 

The cars consisted of (to the best of my memory)

TT S

TT RS

S4

S5

S5 Sportback (in lieu of an S6)

S8

RS4 saloon

RS4 avant

RS6 avant

R8 V10 spyder

I end up driving the S4, S5 Sportback, S8, RS5 Cab on the high speed bowl and Alpine course plus the R8 V10 spyder and the RS6 on the acceleration course (1 mile straight line : nail it from 0 - 160+)

The highlight was a sneaky demo by an instructor on how it should be done around the Alpine circuit although I won't comment more on that online as it wasn't meant to happen!

Audi also commissioned an artist to create a painting during the day. The difference was this guy uses models and remote control cars in stead of brushes. The finished result was really good. I'm kicking myself that I didn't pick up a print of one of his earlier works. His site is :http://www.popbangcolour.com/

Add in Audi's hospitality, meeting up with people I've not seen for years and a nice goodie bag at the end and I'd say there's not a lot to complain about.

The 50 mile journey home took 30 mins longer that the morning thrash due to a lack of clear roads but my mpg did benefit as it returned over double at 31! 

A great way of spending a Sunday! Thanks to RS246 but especially Audi UK  +++

Edited by Scotty

Great to catch up with you Scotty, long time no see.  +++

Windsor was another life ago, cannot believe its that long since you parted with the S4 now, I'd never have thought it was almost five years!

15.5 mpg is crackers as discussed!  Get yourself one of those 3.0 litre S4 Avant / S5 Sportback thingys!  :P

I've been in but never driven a car with over 500 bhp before.  So it was a real privilege to drive three today.  :grin:

Biggest surprises of the day - probably the S8.

Biggest disappointment of the day - every single car was automatic!  (no S3 present, and TTS TTRS and R8 were all S tronic)

Agreed. I wondered if Audi are giving up on manuals!

Their auto's were impressive particularly the R8's implementation (which I don't doubt can't be beaten by a human) but we we all know it's not simply about how much the car can do for you but also about what you get back from the driving experience.

p.s. S8 is certainly not a car for me but it's an impressive bit of kit. It's the most effortless quietest 100mph I've done in my life!

Didn't anyone managed to break anything?

One of the instructors threw up.  Does that count!

S8 is certainly not a car for me but it's an impressive bit of kit. It's the most effortless quietest 100mph I've done in my life!

100 mph is 2500 rpm in 8th.  So it would do 260 mph on a rolling road assuming you took the 155 limiter off.

Didn't anyone managed to break anything?

Yep - one pheasant!

I was out in the S8 to start and this thing just didn't have a care in the world. I slowed and slowed and eventually I stopped about 2" from it. It just ambled off like I wasn't there.

Another guy later in the day wasn't so fortunate. The pheasant was written off but the car went undamaged.