Luke

iPad mini.

118 posts in this topic

This thread has gone wrong.

What's really cheap - 30 quid? 60 quid? 100 quid? As long as you buy something running android v4 or newer you should have no problems running the app, but check version compatibility first.

http://www.ubislate.co.uk/product.php?prodid=1  UbiSlate tablet - 30 quid.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/dec/16/datawind-ubislate-india-aakash-tablet-android

Cheap as in 30 quid cheap.

The App. needs 2.2, apparently. But always good to be a bit future proofed.

The only way to future-proof and to ensure you get any future android upgrades is purchase a Google branded tablet, I doubt very few of the 'other brands' will see any significant version upgrades.

But for kids or apps needs 2.2 anything running a skinned version of 4 will do.

Yeah, I was assuming I wouldn't upgrade the OS - just wanted to ensure that, should the app get updated next year, then I wouldn't need to buy a newer tablet.

Buy a used iPad 64gb 3G/WiFi instead. Much better! I know where there is one for sale.... :grin:

Ha, problem is, I need two, and they need to be identical, and the problem with the iPad 1 is that I would imagine it's getting to the point where Apple wont support it with future updates etc!

The Kindle was roundly slated by the Gadget show, don't want to pay Apple prices for the kids, so that means Android, Hudl gets consistently good reviews but is unavailable, the similarly priced Samsung appears to be a fair bit lower spec wise.

Might just wait and get the Hudl after xmas, or splash a bit more on another couple of Nexus 7's as it's been utterly faultless.

They already do - iPad 1 will only go to iOS 5.1 (I think - 5 something anyway).

Didn't see that in the sales pitch. What is iOS 5?? VHS?

I think 5 would be Laser disc, pretty good but hugely flawed.

Well..bizarrely after all the moaning about iOS 6 & 7, a lot of people think 5 was the last 'good' IOS.

You're on a % Mac, aren't you.

Ha, no, I have enough iPads of my own thanks. I can see 4 from where I'm sat!

I must admit the mini is a lovely, compact bit of kit.

I must admit the mini is a lovely, compact bit of kit.

Did you get it from JL - they now have an Xmas Price Deal, if the price drops in the next 30days (IIRC) they'll refund the difference.  

They already do - iPad 1 will only go to iOS 5.1 (I think - 5 something anyway).

Yes, that's true.+++

Did you get it from JL - they now have an Xmas Price Deal, if the price drops in the next 30days (IIRC) they'll refund the difference.  

Is that on everything? Is there a link to a webpage? (I'm looking, but can't find yet...)

Edited by Sponge

The Kindle was roundly slated by the Gadget show, don't want to pay Apple prices for the kids, so that means Android, Hudl gets consistently good reviews but is unavailable, the similarly priced Samsung appears to be a fair bit lower spec wise.

Kindle, slated? The Gadget Show gave the 2012 model Kindle 4 out of 5 G's - That's pretty good in group test with the iPad mini & Nexus 7 which are twice the price.  The 2013 Kindle is faster: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CTVTJ4Q/  (same one currys is selling for 99) Plus you can de-skin it for free, which removes all the amazon stuff  :)

Two samsung's would be 40 pounds cheaper, but yes it is a 2012 model - not that the kids would notice.

I'm waiting for the 2013 Nexus 7 to drop even more, if I'd seen it at 180 when I was in the UK last week I'd have grabbed one.

Edited by Andy_Bangle

The Kindle is a brilliant device.

LittleMissMe has an iPad 4, but she also has a Kindle HD.  The reason is that Kindles are allowed in school - and iPad's aren't.  She loves the Kindle.  It is certainly easier to read books on it than on the iPad (even in Kindle mode) and some of the games on it are impressive.

When we bought her the HD I started using her original Kindle.  I now always have it on my travels for the sheer lightness and feel of it as a book reading device.  The charge seems to last forever too.

It wasn't one of the Kindle book things, it was their tablet, that hotel inspector woman was reviewing them on monday night, the Kindle didn't fare well.

I didn' realise you can deskin the Kindle HD.

I thought it was suppoed to be good hardware but the kindlification crippled it?