New telly 40-46"

scooby_simon

Spend as much as you can.

Smart isn't, maybe the newer units are better. Eye test units and play with the remote, take off dynamic and if you want the best get your absolute favourite movie and demand to see it played on the potential new buy.

Normal suspects, Panasonic . Samsung, Sony.

Then buy it from the nets and save £150

+1 for Samung Smart and JL. JL pricematch don't forget, but it must be from somewhere that has a retail outlet somewhere. RGB Direct for instance. I bought a 40" Smart Sammy 6 months ago, price matched to £399. UE40S5500 I think... we never use it as it's in the breakfast room, but it looks great on the wall as its so slim. It was bought for the little man, but he's too young to watch TV apparently. Lol.

If you get Smart, try and get built in wireless otherwise you need to spend £40 on a dongle! We're hardwired as we live in the sticks so didn't matter to us.

Try electronicworldtv.co.uk for some awesome deals. Bit hit n miss though.

As with pretty much everyone else, you won't go wrong with a Samsung, but it's worth looking at some of the new LG smart TV's too, they are very good, Panasonic also seem to have moved with the game on some of their new sets too.

I was browsing in Currys last week whilst waiting for a microwave!

• Like 1

What ever you choose, I would buy from JL. 5 year guaruntee on every telly. A few of us have had to claim to our benifit, and you have the ability to price match.

Don't forget Richer Sounds. I got the cheapest price from them, a 5 year guarantee, free delivery etc. 

Wifi enabled is great.  And they also have the surround sound Soundbar add-on thing, which has a wireless woofer that sits wherever in the room.  Nice not to have wires trailing all over.  And it sets itself up as well, which is a nice change!

Mine's got wifi but since it's near by Router I've wired it in to leave more wireless bandwith available. What I do love is WiDi. I'm working from home today and my Intel Core i5 laptop is using my TV as an extended desktop. I think this may be LG only building this in although you can buy plug on WiDi adaptors for others.

I went LG coz I wanted 3D but can't handle the active glasses. The passive ones are much more relaxing and a lot cheaper which is good when you've got a young family where they could be sat on etc.

Another vote for Richer Sounds here.  We got our last TV and our Sony surround wotsit system from them and they matched everything John Lewis could offer and to be honest I found them much more knowledgeable.

My experience of the John Lewis TV/Audio section in Newcastle is that they're too busy with not enough staff and their customer service is awful.

• Like 1

Samsung make their own - I prefer the Samsung OS (or whatever it's called) to the LG one though, which was the other reason I chose it +++

I think i'd agree with you there, it is subjective of course.

The LG I was playing with in Currys last week really was very good, I was looking at 55" sets mind you, On the quick 5 mins I was playing I couldn't swing it either way if i'm honest between the LG and the Samsung, i'd need to spend more time playing with both sets.

We have an LG 37" in the bedroom (no choice of brand as it came inside the bed), and no quibbles with it whatsoever.

Bought a 40" Samsung LED Smart TV two months ago - second one I've bought in the last year.  I used to be a Sony fan, but the Samsung stuff is so much better for picture quality.

Been a Samsung fan for years, My latest is a Sony W9 series (from John Lewis for 5year Guarentee).  I thought picture with my normal content was far better than the Samsung.  The Sony W8 series is all now reduced because of the W9 and that also has a pretty good picture.