S3 Sportbacks - limited numbers? Discounts?

DanG

Anyone know if these are being released in limited numbers or if there is a huge waiting list?

Just had the most pathetic and annoying conversation with a sales person trying to find out info.

And no there is no discount etc etc but drive the deal are already showing a 6% discount on a reasonably specced car 

Comfort Pack

Tech Pack

Black Pack

Privacy

Auto

Genuinely mystified why the fellow was so bolshy, unless there really isn't a discount.

Its for a friend who thinks you buy a car for the price on the sticker in the window....

I have, selflessly, offered to test drive one on their behalf.

On the drivethedeal topic I am seeing the same as you. Salesman won't budge yet DTD are offering good discounts. I looked into using them a few years back when buying a couple of new cars but backed out. What are the cons from using them as I understand it you get a brand new UK car supplied by a UK main dealer with 3 years warranty etc.

There always used to be that thing on Audi S cars that there was very little discount available. That certainly wasn't the case when I bought the S5 nor when I was considering the S4.

I can't see demand outstripping supply on something like the S3 to the point there is no discount.

And long lead times are the norm for Audi these days, unfortunately. The S5 was 6 months.

Edited by Milo

Thanks for thinking of me Dan but I can't get close to manufacturer promotional rates.

Both BMW and Audi seem to be going down this road at the moment.

I can ask my Audi contacts about discount levels if you like.

Recently got 9.5% off a new Q5 for the wife when everyone else was quoting 5 and 6%. Still got to wait till May "possibly April" for it though.

As above DTD are offering 'physical' cars with a decent discount, so that might be the way forward.

And just mentioned the one series to Jim and he immediately said that 'it must have been designed by Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles' and that he 'wasn't driving a junior management rep mobile, even if it was a quick one'.

Fair enough.

Besides all that, I think all wheel drive is quite important to him as his folks live in Sweden....

There always used to be that thing on Audi S cars that there was very little discount available.

I've never paid full price on the 1 x S3, 2 x S4 and 1x RS4 that I've bought from an Audi dealer - nor have I taken their first offer on finance rate, told them what interest rate I was earning and the cash and if they weanted the commission they had to make if financially worth my while not to just pay cash and lose the interest. It's surprising what they can do when pushed...

• 2 weeks later...

And in similar news my mother is on the case for a Q5 S-line Plus, 2.0T auto - which comes well spec'd but she will need 'Old Persons Parking Assist' and heated seats....

Any one (cough) Booster (cough) got any ideas on discounts? :grin:

DTD quoting 8.5%... so presume this is easily achievable.

+++

Edited by DanG

Absolutely brilliant car.

Firstly, I have to say that I like the look of the new A3 platform. From a distance, it looks like an A4, and even up close its got a lot of similar angles and features. I guess this is indicative of the entire German motor industry standardizing the looks of models, but in this instance, its not a bad thing.

Sportback has 5 doors and proper, adult, rear seats which fold flat too and a boot big enough for most peoples weekend activities. Roof rails add the possibility of a top box  / ski rack for the odd trip to the Alps if that’s your thing. Basically a small estate car for everyday use. I got one for a couple of hours test drive on my own….

First thing that strikes me is that the S3 has a normal key, i.e. one that you put in a thingy and turn, which is somewhat novel these days, but I am guessing helps with the anti theft – something I might be worried about if I had one of these. Turn on the ignition and there is a lovely sweep of the hands around the clocks, the tacho also has a boost gauge…. which my inner boy racer liked a lot.

Engine starts up to a deeply satisfying and somewhat surprising burble, sounding more like a throaty V6 than a 4 cylinder, and you realize that the 4 exhaust pipes on the back have been tuned, nicely.

The numbers, of 300hp, 280lb ft and 0-62 in 4.9 seconds, are those of far more exotic metalwork. Add in the smooth 6 speed S Tronic (not a 7 speed as some reviews are stating duh!) and Haldex Quattro and it makes for effortless driving around town with stop start cutting in and out without any issue.

The DSG box is very quick and gentle to shift gear, almost as seamless as the PDK system on the Porsche. One of the nice things is that on the up shift at full chat, valves in the exhaust make some terrific rally car noises – in dynamic mode at least. Shifting down also creates some terrific aural delights, enough to scare old folk in the sleepy villages I was driving through.

Get out of town and onto some faster roads and the suspension, a much maligned part of Audis these days, reveals itself to be hugely better than any of the S Line offerings, soaking up bumps and pot holes very well and not seeming too harsh at all.  The body roll is also lacking and it corners brilliantly - These are both potentially a feature of the, standard fit, magnetic ride. Unsure without playing for longer…. Overall its very ‘chuckable’ and forgiving, flattering even my ‘fists of ham’ driving style.

(There are a lot of steering, throttle, suspension and gearbox settings as standard, which I didn’t have a chance to faf with, but even just in ‘dynamic’ it was responsive and very pointable. It’s a smaller car than my A4, so more nimble into, around and out of corners. Its also nicely quiet at motorway speeds).

The power is epic. It’s just there all the time, far less lag than the A4 2.0T (not that there is much there) and no torque drop off above 5k revs either, pulling quickly to the near 7k rev limit. Nail it and the computer drops gears and raises revs in literally a heartbeat and you’re off down the road like a scalded cat.

It goes like the absolute clappers. Launch control on a slighty slipy road was getting the claimed 4.9 seconds and I think on a dry cold day you’d be under that. Booting it off a roundabout it just stuck to the road and all this chat about Quattro understeer, which I am sure exists if you are doing some daft speeds, just couldn’t been seen – although it only runs 225 tyres, which surprised me.

I have always been put off the TT and the like as it doesn’t have ‘proper’ Torsion Quattro, but I couldn’t tell the difference. Well maybe I could a tiny tiny bit, but there was never any issue with front end torque steer or feeling that the front was pushing wide, as I said before, you’d have to be driving like a maniac or on a track to get things really out of shape.

Interior is top end A4 quality too. Sat Nav screen rises out of the dash on command, DAB and bluetooth are standard these days, black piano trims look and feel expensive and leather is soft and the seats are quite Bentley like with their ‘quiltedness’. It has some funny touch control which I didn't have time to play with either, but which is, initially, intuitive.

Costs £31k for the auto, add in tech pack for nav at £1400 and you’d have a very decently spec’d car and with discounts of 7% available and finance rates near 6%, its worth a look – oh and for an extra £500 it comes with a full 5 year warranty, which I think speaks volumes about the longevity of the 300bhp 2.0T lump. (Audi demonstrators are all over spec’d with pointless kit like night vision radar cruise crumpet toaster pack and platinum plated unicorn horn led lights).

The other thing about it is the road presence. It doesn’t scream hot hatch or ‘sub 5 second’ car, its pretty stealthy, which I really like.  You would surprise some seriously expensive motors at the lights and then nip around the next roundabout and be gone.

As a package I could see this as an everyday car, motorway cruiser (47mpg claimed, 40mpg combined) and fun weekend throw around on a country road whilst escaping town with guns / fly rods and luggage in the boot.

I loved it, for me and my life and where I live my life (only having RWD is just not an option) it would work really well. 

• Like 1

If I were buying one, I would also get Comfort Pack, Interior Light pack, Privacy glass, Folding Mirrors and chrome roof rails - as thats all on my current car, oh and rear airbags too as my son goes in the back from time to time.

And I'd have Estoril Blue. 

+++

• Like 1

What are peoples thoughts on the S3 Saloon? I expect you lose a touch of practicality but it looks nice. I think I like it over the hatch as I do the CLA over the A class merc.

I think they look great and would probably be my preference, I think though residuals will suffer, the UK market historically hasn't done very well with saloons - A4 Estate vs A4 saloon, Bora vs Golf, etc  The hatch generally has a better residual because we don't appear to be a nation of saloon lovers.

Audi has apparently satisfied its UK sales targets for 2013, therefore trying to get anything "Specced" & delivered within a reasonable time has been a joke.

I looked to place an order back in September this year, told week 3 build 2014 earliest build slot available

Enquired again last week, and lo and behold now week 6 2014 FFS!

Also the majority of cars delivered to dealers to date, for demo and sale, have been DSG & sportbacks so no chance of picking up a three door manual car anywhere, the only one I could find was estoril blue with 5K on it and a few bob under list, which considering it has probably been ragged by every "Test Pilot" in the dealers is a bit rich

No worries though, the 1000Hp VW 415V three phase "Up" should be arriving soon