Tax Disks

DanG

Its currently illegal and an instant fixed penalty (£60) not to display a valid tax disk.

Extremely surprised you haven't been picked up on it in 18 months - even beat police who see your vehicle parked on the street have the power and tools to report you.

Its currently illegal and an instant fixed penalty (£60) not to display a valid tax disk.

Extremely surprised you haven't been picked up on it in 18 months - even beat police who see your vehicle parked on the street have the power and tools to report you.

You have beat police in your area? :o

Some of them will check it on the system and maybe then just can't be bothered?

I didn't display one for 6 months, as I couldn't be arsed paying to have it redirected to a new house.  I had paid for it though.

Didn't get stopped at all and that's with a daily 100+ mile commute and various other trips.

ANPR registers the car as 'clean'

Of course. I'm a rebel. Don't you know that? Being stopped on average more than most even more surprising. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Will be fine as long as it doesn't affect buyers of second hand cars.  Is there going to be a way of knowing for sure whether the previous owner is actually leaving the car taxed the day you collect it, or whether they cash the tax in five minutes after you drive off having bought the car and signed the V5??

Not really a major problem on an A3 TDi which is £20.00 a year, but its vitally important on an S4 which is £475.......

Why they don't just bin the entire tax system and put it on fuel I have no idea

Will be fine as long as it doesn't affect buyers of second hand cars. Is there going to be a way of knowing for sure whether the previous owner is actually leaving the car taxed the day you collect it, or whether they cash the tax in five minutes after you drive off having bought the car and signed the V5??

Good point +++

Will be fine as long as it doesn't affect buyers of second hand cars.  Is there going to be a way of knowing for sure whether the previous owner is actually leaving the car taxed the day you collect it, or whether they cash the tax in five minutes after you drive off having bought the car and signed the V5??

Not really a major problem on an A3 TDi which is £20.00 a year, but its vitally important on an S4 which is £475.......

Why they don't just bin the entire tax system and put it on fuel I have no idea

Not sure how true this is, but I did hear from an "industry inside source" some years ago that the petrol companies banded together & said they will not collect tax for the government.

Could be 8ollocks, but it sounded feasible at the time!

Not sure how true this is, but I did hear from an "industry inside source" some years ago that the petrol companies banded together & said they will not collect tax for the government.

Could be 8ollocks, but it sounded feasible at the time!

Isn't fuel duty and VAT a tax?

Surely all the government would have to do is increase fuel duty to compensate for the loss of VED.

I've held the opinion for a number of years that they're on a mission to convince everyone that putting it on fuel is the best thing.

If they'd just said they were going to increase fuela tax further people would have been pissed off.

Now they can do and say "we've listened to the electorate".

I think it's the only fair way. When I had my S4 I never got why I should pay more for my 6k miles a year than someone in a Mondeo doing 30k?

I'm glad the disk is going. On motorbikes they get pinched....and they look horrid! :)