Jag XFR-S

Busby

Ford wrecked the look of the Jaguar. The old XJ was a stunning thing. The XF is minging. To put it politely.

Funny really because I couldn't disagree more, I think the current Jags are stunning, easily the best looking range on the market, the X-Type and the S-Type however I would describe as minging.

As for any of the old school Jags, they simply wouldn't compete in todays market, they belong in the past, cool as they are.

The current range are generic blobs - they could easily have come out of Korea. The interiors are particularly awful, too - the XF interior looks like an early 2000s Matsui product.

Whilst the engineering in the old Jags may have been ageing, the style of the XJ had been around since the 60s with tweaks along the way and was the signature of Jaguar - it just needed further evolution. Whilst the S has detractors, the final facelift version was a fine looking car... and the platform was sound, as it has been used to underpin the XF.

Most people would struggle to identify a Kia Cadenza and Jaguar XF if they were parked side by side with badges covered.

Not sure what Jags you've been sitting in, but I think the interiors are great.

The old XJ simply couldn't have cut it at all no matter how they evolved it, it was old fashioned and out dated and just wouldn't have sold compared to the competition, have you sat in a new XJ? it's got to be one of the nicest cars I've ever sat in.

'Wouldn't have sold'... I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of new shape XJs I've seen.

I see a fair number of XFs, but they are mostly poverty spec. cars being driven by middle managers who didn't want a 5-series.

All that painted silver stuff in the XF really is awful, dated and I bet it doesn't wear well.

Not sure what Jags you've been sitting in, but I think the interiors are great.

The old XJ simply couldn't have cut it at all no matter how they evolved it, it was old fashioned and out dated and just wouldn't have sold compared to the competition, have you sat in a new XJ? it's got to be one of the nicest cars I've ever sat in.

The interiors are short of anything out of Germany in the quality stakes.

I spent a good bit of time in an XJ earlier this year (a good hour or more and a test drive) and I found that the real thing didn't live up to the photos and brochures.

They still have a plasticky feel, the centre screen and it's supposed dual-view system is finicky, impossible to read in strong light and I found myself having to tap buttons 2-3 times to get them to work.

The interiors are short of anything out of Germany in the quality stakes.

I wouldn't say 'anything' out of Germany, I'd rate them as good as anything from Merc, not quite BMW standard perhaps, but leagues ahaead of VW/Audi.

They are certainly harder wearing than VAG as the interiors of all the taxis testify.

I'd say on par with VW. 

The Mercedes cars I've been in this year were far superior in build quality to the Jag.  I think Mercedes have made huge strides and I've have them within a whisker of BMW material quality (just a little bit more needed on some of the switchgear).  Audi are on par with BMW (in my view) with their interiors but miles behind on integrated technology of the interiors.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

The cars I was most impressed with from an interior perspective were Milo's new S5 and our eldest's A1 (for a car of its small class/size I mean).

To be honest I've not seen inside a new A3 so couldn't comment, but I certainly don't doubt they're as good as the others.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

Didn't like the A5 interior - it now feels and looks very dated - which is to be expected, as the A4 platform is well overdue replacement now.

The A3 is very minimalist, but very high quality. Biggest reason I didn't end up with a 2.0TDI S-Line was due to the DSG box, which is awful compared with the ZF 8 speeder.

It'll be interesting to see what the new 'baby' Jag. is like - my FiL is currently smoking around in an early S-Type which was his company car and gifted to him on retirement... he wants to replace it, but the XF is too big for post retirement needs.

I have to say I haven't been in any of the newer Jags, but I have been in a few XJs of different vintage, XKs of different vintage, X-Types, & S-types and apart from the S I was astounded by how a car of the size of all of them could have so little interior space, especially the XJs.

Plenty of new shape XJs knocking about round here. It definitely outsells the A8, probably not far off the 7 series. Of course they all suffer from the fact the S Class is and always will be the daddy.

I thnk Jaguar have come a very long way in a short time. I like the exterior styling of the XF and XJ and the XK and F Type are simply the two best looking cars currently available.  I'm not quite so keen on the interior - seems like they're trying a bit too hard to appeal to a younger market, hence some stuff is just downright gimmicky.

One of the issues Jag still have is depreciation compared to the Germans.  Not good if you're buying new, but brilliant if you're looking at 2-3 years old.  There are some genuine bargain XJs out there if you want an exec cruiser.