News_Stig

Please read carefully. I shall type this only once

38 posts in this topic

Well I've just show it to my better half and she loves it and thinks it might be an option for her next car. She likes my BMWs so might take a look at this, I quite like it as well but not big enough for me. 

As for the FWD / RWD, BMW will use FWD in the lower end range as the push for greater economy and better packaging push things firmly that way. For anything larger the brand wants the feel and ability and differentiation of RWD.

Mercedes has already shown that you can have a FWD model in the range and still have the rest being RWD with all buyers happy, this will be no different. 

I really hope they don't shift to a FWD 1-series platform because Tipex thinks people wouldn't notice the difference, as that would take the only real alternative choice out of the family hatch / small company car market.

That's the point. At the moment they are different. People might not all be able to say why, but there is a differentiation and with that they are safer. Back in 1997 when I was relatively uncommitted to them and tested a 323 against a non-4WD A4 and a 900 (all with similar power), it was very obvious that there was something very different about the BMW in a way that I liked.

If you're different, you might put some people off but at least there are some people who will be attracted to you.

Putting aside the driver feedback or whatever you want to call it, I remain of the opinion that, overall,  a RWD drive-train is smoother (or at least they've always felt it to me)

It is.  Especially with a straight six.

I'd explain, but it's late and it would even send me to sleep.

..and doesn't it make 50/50 weight distribution easier to achieve?

FWD is the drive train of Beelzebub.

RWD feels great and is fun. All wheel drive is practical and safer.

FWD is the drive train of Beelzebub.

RWD feels great and is fun. All wheel drive is practical and safer.

But what you really need to do is hang the engine over the back of the back wheels, to provide proper entertainment ;)

1 person likes this

like like like.... +++

Original Beetle, of course :P

1 person likes this

I had a mid-englned car once or twice.

MR2 and MGohnevermind.

Everyone knows the proper layout for a car is front engined, RWD, with the gearbox under the boot floor. That's how you get properly balanced weight distribution.

Even Porsche worked that out, but the luddites stuck with their 'ass engined Nazi slot cars'...

Everyone knows the proper layout for a car is front engined, RWD, with the gearbox under the boot floor. That's how you get properly balanced weight distribution.

Even Porsche worked that out, but the luddites stuck with their 'ass engined Nazi slot cars'...

"Eldavo in agreement with TS shocker!"