What are your fitness plans for 2014?

Mook

Nothing too serious, just to keep up the last few years good work & keep my weight where it is/lose 1/2 stone as I do through the year & to keep my level of fitness where it is.

I am happy with the rest, 4 days a week an hour & half in the gym at a time.

• Like 1

It's all about weight loss and basic fitness for me. I made some progress in the first half of 2013 but went through a bad patch after that. Still nearly stone lighter than my worst but 2014 is going to be a new start in lots of ways, health being one essential part of that. Likely to have a bit of spare time after January and intend to use it wisely.

• Like 1

I fell off the wagon last month. I think i then actually ate the wagon. In September, I cut all the crap from my diet and started working out three times a week with basic weights. I stuck this solid for 6 weeks with not so much as a biscuit even sniffed at. I then revamped my exercise routine and kept the diet going through Oct in November. I lost just over a stone and felt 100% better for it. I have an ongoing lower back issue too and the exercise seemed to really help with this. All it took is a poxy winter cold to ruin my healthy eating and a constant string of headaches to stop the exercise. :(

I've continued to monitor my food intake so it's not excessive but its things like that extra bowl of cereal late at night or sneaking in some chocolate that have crept back in and I'm not exercising to compensate. Need to get back on the weights and kick myself back to it. The aim is to be able to ride my MTB again properly next year with the reward of a new one if my back can stand the riding. I miss it a lot and haven't ridden properly for 18 months or more. :( 

• Like 1

I'm musing a race of sorts next year. Prob a half marathon as I can't be arsed to train for the full at the moment.

I mentioned to the wife the other day I'd fancy a crack at swimming the Channel ...

Aside from that just maintenance next year. More swimming (doing 5k a week at the moment) perhaps.

• Like 1

I was supposed to be doing the Portsmouth Marathon this weekend, but training had some major interruption because of a niggly injury :( It's almost totally gone, but I need to hit the gym regularly to strengthen up my core.

Have also just started training for the Brighton Marathon on 6th April. Aim will be to smash another PB and get under 3:30. After that, I want to simplify and attack my 1 mile PB in July and then smash new PBs in all distances up from there. What 10k time are you chasing Mook?

All this while taking on the massive life change of having a baby. So any of these might go out the window after April :roflmao:

• Like 1

I'm going to start carrying two crates of Bud a week from the Supermarket to the car, and from the car to the house. After that I guess I'll be thirsty.

Once my thirst is sorted I'll attempt 30 minutes of bump class with the Mrs. When I'm super fit from weeks of carrying the beers in, I'll extend mu bump class to hour sessions daily.

I also intend to take up beating classes, any more shit from the kids and a Ill beat them both.

• Like 1

Not sure. I have entered the Cholmondley Castle race triathlon next year but am having ongoing problems with my achilles which means I haven't run for over a year and now even cycling on my road bike causes issues if I use it for 30 minutes or more. I was going to enter the Deva triathlon before it sells out but am still undecided due to injury (don't like getting old).

Training wise I have been taking it easy for the last month or so with just one bike and swim per week as struggling to get training time as Mrs Drinks has entered her first half marathon and is using up several of my free time slots as I am left holding the baby.

Will up the training considerably in the New Year and get back to swimming and cycling 3 times/week as a minimum and gentle introduction to running again probably around February.

• Like 2

A couple of months ago I entered the Bridge to Bridge swim (14k down the Thames) but I've done very little swimming since, so I guess I should get my arse in gear and get training! It's my first serious event since 1997.

I should add weight loss to the programme but I understand that a few mouthfuls of Thames water will result in the rapid evacuation of stomach and bowel contents, so that will take care of that :)

• Like 2

What 10k time are you chasing Mook?

I want to get sub 40.  Problem is I'm not a natural runner and I'm not built like one either. Getting my 12 mile time down over the course of the year is the main one - aiming to get a Tough Mudder done in under 2 hours by September :)

Not sure. I have entered the Cholmondley Castle race triathlon next year but am having ongoing problems with my achilles which means I haven't run for over a year and now even cycling on my road bike causes issues if I use it for 30 minutes or more. I was going to enter the Deva triathlon before it sells out but am still undecided due to injury (don't like getting old).

Training wise I have been taking it easy for the last month or so with just one bike and swim per week as struggling to get training time as Mrs Drinks has entered her first half marathon and is using up several of my free time slots as I am left holding the baby.

Will up the training considerably in the New Year and get back to swimming and cycling 3 times/week as a minimum and gentle introduction to running again probably around February.

Do the Anglesey Sandman :)  I so badly want to do that, but the sea swim is what's stopping me.  I need a couple more years of open water swimming before I tackle that one +++

I'm going to start carrying two crates of Bud a week from the Supermarket to the car, and from the car to the house. After that I guess I'll be thirsty.

Once my thirst is sorted I'll attempt 30 minutes of bump class with the Mrs. When I'm super fit from weeks of carrying the beers in, I'll extend mu bump class to hour sessions daily.

I also intend to take up beating classes, any more shit from the kids and a Ill beat them both.

:roflmao:

What's wrong with 2 hours bump sessions?  ;)

Hmm... Tough one this Mookie. I've done the whole gym, football, weights, fitness fanatic thing but thought I'd do something different around September last year.

I'd put on a bit of weight...well a fair bit and started insanity.

After completing the program (9 weeks in total) I was great and noticed a drastic change but wanted more and am now halfway through the 3rd time of doing it. You know how it is. Into the cycle and you get that addiction buzz again

Now to answer the question.

For this year. I think I might do it one more time as right now, I think I've got to my peak fitness level, am a lean mean machine :P  so just want to maintain it really. I'm not keen on going on some crazy gym routine anymore so have to find something not too hectic but can balance it out for me where I don't put on the bit I lost back again. +++

• Like 1

Do the Anglesey Sandman :)  I so badly want to do that, but the sea swim is what's stopping me.  I need a couple more years of open water swimming before I tackle that one +++

Sounds fun, will see how I get on in June and may well enter the Sandman if there are still places available. I have a few friends who have done it the last couple of years so quite fancy joining them.

How is the swimming coming along?