Michael Schumacher suffers serious head injuries

Andy_Bangle

DC has written a nice piece in todays Telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/michael-schumacher/10543292/I-only-hope-Michael-Schumacher-pulls-through-so-that-he-can-see-all-the-nice-things-people-are-saying-about-him.html

In this mornings press conference doctors say Michael's condition has improved after a second operation to relieve pressure on his brain however, impossible to give prognosis for tomorrow, 6 months' or 1 year's time: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25558709

I read somewhere yesterday, "The team in charge with changing his drip shaved .03 seconds off their best time today". 

I'm hoping that no news is good news at the mo. I know he's probably not out of the woods at all yet, but four days in is hopefully a good thing.  :cool:

I wish him well.

I've found some of the comments around the incident quite bizarre.

People saying they never liked him as a driver but hope he recovers.  Others saying he's such a legend they are praying for him.

Why?  Isn't it enough that it is a man/father who has suffered a potential life threatening injury for ANYONE to wish him the best?  So what if they didn't like him as a driver!  So what if he is completely unknown to anyone outside of his family!  I really don't get why some people have to say things like that at times!  Thanks for telling us you never liked him in F1, but you don't wish death on him.  We needed to know that.:roflmao:

Sorry for this, but I too fall into that category.

I would not wish an untimely death on anyone, particularly someone who's untimely death would be considered to be such a tragedy by so many.

However I find myself unable to forgive the many times that he has, in his racing career, cheated/deliberately crashed/put the lives of others at risk etc.

Let's not get into an argument about what he did or didn't do as a driver. If anyone wishes to judge his character then do so on the time and money he has spent supporting the charities he cares about. It is typical of his nature that, according to many reports, he was injured trying to help a young member of the party.

I don't go in for this mass hysteria whenever anybody famous is involved either. When it comes to human tragedy (let's hope that is too strong a word) we are all equal.

Edited by garcon magnifique
  • Like 1

Sometimes a driver has to pass away for everyone to then realise how great they were. Look at Senna. He was not really universally liked when racing as he was so bloody good. Then he died and everyone salutes him as the best ever. Schumi was an amazing driver who in his first quali put a very rubbish Jordan car, right up the front of the grid in Spa. It was a stunning bit of driving. The rest is history.

He was ruthless and too aggressive at times but guess what, it was a lot more fun seeing drivers go toe to toe and desperate to win at no cost. The controversy and arguments were all part of the hype.

I wish Schumi a speedy, full recovery and hope everyone realises just how good he's been before he moves onto F1 heaven, when he's very old and grey.

Edited by Luke

I don't have a problem with people expressing their opinion on him, so long as the well wishes are still there, and i've not seen a single comment stating otherwise even from people who didn't like him.

That's the whole point of freedom of expression, it'd be a fecking boring world if everyone said exactly the same thing.

Personally I obviously wish him well, and hope for a speedy and full recovery, my thoughts are with his family, I never used to like him as a racing driver, until he made his comeback and his character had changed for the better, he was much more fun and likeable and I enjoyed watching him, off the racing circuit he's always been, and hopefully will continue to be, a massively altruistic person, working tirelessly for charity etc, ultimately a good man, who was ruthless behind the wheel.

Edited by Tipex

Let's not get into an argument about what he did or didn't do as a driver. If anyone wishes to judge his character then do so on the time and money he has spent supporting the charities he cares about. It is typical of his nature that, according to many reports, he was injured trying to help a young member of the party.

I don't go in for this mass hysteria whenever anybody famous is involved either. When it comes to human tragedy (let's hope that is too strong a word) we are all equal.

This. 

The family asked the media to leave the hospital a few days ago and asked for everyone to trust the reports the put out and not to question them.

The initial report on the incident has now been released as well and he was going a speed you would expect but he didn't slow when he went off the main slopes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25651852

• Like 1

I listened to the live press conference about an hour ago.

While there is no actual change in his condition, still critical but stable, they have now gathered the video from his helmet camera to determine exactly what happened, and help pinpoint exactly how and where he hit the rock that has done the damage.

The hope is they can use this information to pinpoint exectly where the injuries are on his head to help decide what action to take.

An inquest has found he was approximately 8 meters off piste when he lost his balance and fell, hitting his head on the rock, nothing more than a tragic accident.

they have now gathered the video from his helmet camera to determine exactly what happened, and help pinpoint exactly how and where he hit the rock that has done the damage.

The hope is they can use this information to pinpoint exectly where the injuries are on his head to help decide what action to take.

One would hope the surgeons eyes and the visible damage/scans to his head would be the best source of this information ?

• Like 1

One would hope the surgeons eyes and the visible damage/scans to his head would be the best source of this information ?

I would imagine so, but if the surgeon thinks viewing the footage frame by frame will give him even the slightest bit of additional info as to exactly what they are dealing with, then it'd be daft not to let him him view it, wouldn't it?

I would imagine so, but if the surgeon thinks viewing the footage frame by frame will give him even the slightest bit of additional info as to exactly what they are dealing with, then it'd be daft not to let him him view it, wouldn't it?

Of course, but you mentioned "use this information to pinpoint exectly where the injuries are on his head" - reminde me of this....  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1A0eXlcRn0

Lol, I was quoting the press conference, apparently the injuries weren't necessarily obvious from an external viewpoint as he was wearing a helmet, so while the brain itself had taken a battering, they wanted to make sure they hadn't missed anything.

I would have thought the scans would have shown everything up too, but I guess it's better to have the info and not need it, than not have it at all.

• 3 weeks later...