Does your AMG encourage you to drive...

Rachel

LoL! The best noise reflectors in my town all surround Parliament House! Oh well, beggars can't be choosers. :)

I will admit that of all my toys, the R32 and the XKR were the ones that keep whispering "go hard, go loud or go home!". They were also dull colours that in Oz sunshine looked electric blue and firey red, so Mr Plod like to see them on the side of the road a bit, which didn't help. :finger:

Funnily, the tweaked 996.2 C4S, the R36 and the AMG don't set me off like that. Even though they sound just as fun (and evil*) as the two that did egg me on.

* evil = live backwards... Does this mean I haven't done enough doughnuts or spun out yet?

The M3, while sounding great, does't sound great or intrusive enough to want to blip it the whole time. However, it does encourage a few squirts here and there. Those squirts though - they could land me in a whole heap of trouble caught at the wrong moment.

The M3, while sounding great, does't sound great or intrusive enough to want to blip it the whole time. However, it does encourage a few squirts here and there. Those squirts though - they could land me in a whole heap of trouble caught at the wrong moment.

You need a decent set of pipes mate.

That said I'm always tempted by c63 black, 4 seats, in black no spoiler... Everyone I know that has them loves them...

Just can't be bothered to spend the money to change...

Edited by Woppum
  • Like 1

I'm 3 months in and there's not been one day where turning the key hasn't put a smile on my face.

Over the quiet Christmas break I managed to have a "proper" blast in it and I have to say, it doesn't need to be any quicker (got back shaking quick!!!).  The big difference over the M-engines is torque, there's gob-loads.  I guess with 50% more cc's, you'd expect it, but it makes such a huge driving experience difference. It's a lazy gargly american V8 in comfort mode, rarely going over 2,000rpm... in Sport+ it's a high reving, fire-spitting NASCAR-esque monster, that frankly laughs at the speed-limit display flashing in the dash.  It has less mechanical grip than the M3, but for some odd reason I don't care.... when normally such a thing would do my head in.

Love it, really really love it.  I know a lot of people say "this is the best car I've ever had" when they are driving said car, but genuinely, this is.  In order, my top five owned are: 1st C63, 2nd E92 M3, 3rd X6 and joint 4th E60 M5 & 996 C2.

I'm a bit late to this thread but thought I'd add my two penneth...

The only thing I miss about not owning a performance car anymore is something very simple, but very special.

It is the V8.

I don't miss the straight 6 of the E46 M3's, as glorious as they were in an altogether different way.  Nor did I ever feel inclined to buy an E92 M3 - because as clinical and awesome as the total package is, the V8 is, in my opinion, a little muted.

I do miss the V8 of the 6 series though.  Did it make me drive more enthusiastically?  I'm not sure, but it did bring out one or two strange behaviors.

Firstly, I would often pull away in 2nd so that I got the full deep growl of the V8.  I would regularly blip the throttle in a tunnel, even under a short bridge.  Why?  Because it would bring a huge grin to my face.  The 6 series being a convertible with a traditional roof meant you could hear more of the engine and exhausts.  Whereas the V8 in an M3 Convertible had the new 'real' roof.  I think that's a shame from an audio perspective.

I would deliberately shift down from a higher gear, at mid-revs, to hear the pop or rumble of the V8 audio from the exhausts.

I miss that.  Not the performance, but the noise.  There is something highly addictive about a V8 soundtrack and I do tend to think that once you've owned a V8 you'll have a set of memories that will never leave you - and you'll smile years after the event whenever you think about them.

As some know on here, I drove a C63 AMG about a month before I bought the 520d.  Quite a contrast, yes?

I was lucky.  Lucky because I hadn't anticipated the big rise in mileage, but also because for the first time in a long time, my head over-ruled my heart and in speccing the 5 series up I managed to get a car I am delighted with.

But....

If I could justify having another car, another new car, then it would without hesitation be the C63.  I was within a day of placing my order.  Then, the day before I'd have done so, I received 3 emails that completely changed the amount of travelling I would be doing in the second half of 2013.  It wasn't something I could think "Oh, so what", because whilst the financial benefits were obvious, I also had to think about comfort on the higher miles.  In a way I was little saddened to leave the performance cars behind, but the reality is that the noise of the C63 is the only real reason for that.

Not the punch in the back that the torque delivers (and it is significant).  Not the performance.  Not the special presence the car has.  No, just the cubic centimetre impact of that quite superb V8 engine.  It sounds magnificent, no matter what gear you're in, what speed you're doing, or whatever the conditions.  Even starting it up is an event.  It's so good you don't want to turn the ignition off.  It is probably the most impressive V8 soundtrack I have heard on a road car that offers a mix of performance, refinement and equipment levels.

But I had to be sensible and also look at the harsh reality of what my leisure miles are - zero.

I also had MrsMe wanting to change the X5, and by choosing the head over heart car for me, and the only real sensible option for what my mileage was going to be, it meant we could do that without really thinking about it.  So I became boring.

If an M3 passes me, I look at it and think "nice car".

If an RS4, RS5, etc passes me, I look at it and think "nice car, but a bit boring".

If a C63 passes me, I put my window down to listen to it.

I think that says it all.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

I do exactly the same when I see any of the AMG V8s - window down. It sounds so damn good.

I gather with tinkering the M3 sounds can be fully unleashed and it sounds fantastic but I don't have the inclination to do it to mine. A mixture of time at the wheel vs. value and the money it costs. You can get a cheap back box mod to the original exhaust but I want to keep it original.

I miss that.  Not the performance, but the noise.  There is something highly addictive about a V8 soundtrack and I do tend to think that once you've owned a V8 you'll have a set of memories that will never leave you - and you'll smile years after the event whenever you think about them.

Exactly.

I don't use a car enough to have many opportunities to exploit the power hence I down graded on the engine side. I occasionally miss the poke but if I'm after power then I'll be on the bike instead.

I definitely miss the sound of the V8 and that little body twitch that the whole car would do if I gave it a big blip.

MrMe - I thought you wanted a V12.

Is there a consensus of thought about the differences in the soundtracks of V6/8/10/12s? The V8 is a growl, the V10 is a shriek based on the R8 advert.

I do fancy a V12 at some point in my life, but I think it is unlikely given the stupidly low personal miles I do, never mind the almost zero leisure miles (put it this way, I've not driven for drivings sake for at least 2 years now, probably much longer).

I suspect I would prefer just a loud V8.

That Aston V12 down the road from me does sound incredible.  Window shakingly so.  it is very loud.  Maybe I could buy one of those just for the V12?  I reallllly don't like the cars, but the noise is something else. 

The problem is also one of priorities for me though.  I've got sooooo many other things I want to do in terms of travel, more house development, sorting out a property overseas, that kind of stuff, that cars are so far down my list of things to buy that I can't seriously look at something without seeing a vision of something else I know I want more.:roflmao:

NNMM's long winded description is pretty apt.

The XKR under WOT sounded "like war!" according to friends I did a flyby of, but inside the car the noise was really muted.

The C63 sounds epic both inside and out, and any excuses to be had for manually downshifting or the epic crack on upshift must be taken when the opportunity presents itself, or you just do it anyway. :P