Milo

S5 (or S4) servicing

40 posts in this topic

I almost forgot there were car sections on here....

Anyway, I've had the S5* for just over 10 months now and covered 6300 miles.  The service indicator bonged today, which was a bit cheeky I thought.  It's saying 20 days/2200 miles to a service.

Now I'm guessing it's only an oil change? Is it normal for it to start complaining after such a relatively short time/distance (I'm thinking more the 3.0TFSI engine)?  I tend to get the servicing done annually anyway so I'll hold on until the end of Feb.

My 2.0T A4 would happily go 12k/18 months between services, although it was always done annually (7-8k miles).

* 3.0TFSI, not the 4.2

Edited by Milo

I should add, it's not been driven hard and it's probably used about 400ml of oil since new.

I should add, "not driven hard" is understatement of the year.:roflmao:

I'm stunned to hear it wants a service so soon, never mind after such low miles.

That seems a pretty low mileage, normally its plenty more than that. My A6 was only 18 months and 12k ish as you say, strange. 

Looks to me as if it's set on Time and Distance regime which is 9,300 miles (15,000km) or 12 months, whichever occurs first.

I assume the car will a year old in around.20 days.

Nope, it's a 1st march 13 plate. I'm not bothered really as I'll wait until it's 1 year old anyway (it'll only have 7k mikes by then).

But I just thought it was odd that it would 'need' a service so soon.

Other forums seem to suggest similar patterns, however.

Fair enough.

Could it have arrived at dealership and the PDI done in January in preparation for delivery 1st March? As far as I know service counter is reset as part of the PDI.

Edited by Cuprabob

Maybe it's desperate to be ragged and knows the dealership valeters will give it a good seeing to?

;)

Edited by eldavo69
3 people like this

If you do a lot of stop / start driving then this is to be expected. I would suspect you are on the variable servicing interval and need switching to the 12 month fixed one.

1 person likes this

Maybe the car has decided it wants the dealer to check whether there's something stuck under the accelerator pedal.

1 person likes this

Fair enough.

Could it have arrived at dealership and the PDI done in January in preparation for delivery 1st March? As far as I know service counter is reset as part of the PDI.

Not in this case, the build date wasn't until the beginning of feb and it didn't arrive in the uk until 24th feb I think.

I do do a lot of short journeys, but then they're no different to those I did in the A4. Hmmm.

And the cold air + supercharger winter months have led to it getting a bit of a blat more often than it usually would.

Does seem a bit early at 6300 miles.  Just ignore the indicator and book it in for a service 1st March if you are happy to pay for yearly.   +++

Does seem a bit early at 6300 miles.  Just ignore the indicator and book it in for a service 1st March if you are happy to pay for yearly.   +++

And risk Audi telling you to stick your warranty claims because you let your service indicator run over.  Muppet  :rolleyes:

When you have an Audi serviced the dealership will reset the dash for either annual servicing or AVS.  The oil used its the same.  So you are never going to invalidate a warranty for going a year between services

I'm not sure that's correct, manufacturers will use it against you if you go over the mileage allowed, they even add up every time you've ever gone over your service mileage too, they may say you can go over by 200 miles, but they'll add that up to every other time you've gone slightly over and build a cumulative allowance too, which once you hit, warranty over.

Yes you can switch to annual servicing, and it's the same oil etc, but if it's set to avs and you ignore the request for a service, that's what will go in the system as 'over mileage'.

Puzzling.  I must admit I'd be surprised if going to a year was an issue, especially on that miles.

Yet at the same time it is odd that it should be saying within "x" miles or 20 days.  The 20 day bit seems odd, doesn't it?

So if Milo waited it'd say, broadly speaking, -60 days, and what Ian is saying is that wouldn't be a problem.  I would have thought it wouldn't be, but then you think "so why bother saying 20 days to go, now?"

When you have an Audi serviced the dealership will reset the dash for either annual servicing or AVS.  The oil used its the same.  So you are never going to invalidate a warranty for going a year between services

I see you're basing this on your vast experience of owning a new Audi and making warranty claim.  Oh, hang on :coffee: 

AVS is there to tell you your car needs a service for a reason.

The 20 day bit seems odd, doesn't it?

It never seems to work as you'd expect, that's definite!

Puzzling. I must admit I'd be surprised if going to a year was an issue, especially on that miles.

Yet at the same time it is odd that it should be saying within "x" miles or 20 days. The 20 day bit seems odd, doesn't it?

So if Milo waited it'd say, broadly speaking, -60 days, and what Ian is saying is that wouldn't be a problem. I would have thought it wouldn't be, but then you think "so why bother saying 20 days to go, now?"

It's a technicality more than anything, having it serviced annually rather than when the car tells you it wants/needs one is a choice Audi allow you to make, and won't penalise you for, but if you don't then have the computer set to annual servicing, and the car decides it wants a service before then, and you ignore it, it will log how far past the service request you've gone and Audi will use it against you should they need to.

I also know for a fact they'll add up every single mile you ever gone over any service for the life of the vehicle, and use that against you, even if it was only 10 miles over, they'll add it to the cumulative total.

Edited by Tipex

My car is saying it will be 11,000 miles until a service is required.  It has done 10,000 miles (nearly).

The nearest 'date' on any of the fluids etc is way after I'll have reached the additional 11,000 miles it is telling me.

I am of the understanding that BMW don't have too many issues with up to 10% over run on miles (up to 30,000 miles).  But if it is a big warranty claim, they may do.

In terms of dates, I was told it depends on the mileage covered in the period of over-run (which I presume they can get from the ECU?).

To be honest though, I think you'll get different replies from different dealers.  Consistency doesn't seem to be a strong point....

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

330d seems to be panning out at 16k or 12 months. Quite happy with that, although it's on a service inclusive plan anyway.

I think mine will be OK :)

post-9630-0-46178100-1389185338_thumb.jp

Christ you must be doing some mileage!!

Got the car in august 2012.