Skoda fabia 1.9tdi

drpellypo

Seen one for £750. 2003 with 140,000 something miles on it.

A purchase that's likely to end in tears? Or a good runaround? It's just for nipping over to Durham a couple of times a week and something to have sitting around that can be thrashed around rather than using the X5 and £40 worth of petrol to get to the shop.

The 1.9 TDi is a tough lump, far superior (imo) to the later 2.0 and capable of double that mileage if it's been looked after.

It's the rest of the car i'd be worried about, but if it looks in relatively decent nick, everything works and it doesn't make any odd noises, it should serve you well for that money.

Edited by Tipex

We had a Fabia 1.9TDi for a little while (months).  It was a stonking little car.

We then had an Octavia TDi for a little while and that too was a good car.

Plasticky as Fisher Price in the 1970's, and plenty of rattles from both, but still good value cars.  They were 'interim' company cars as we awaited delivery of MrsMe's new ones back in the day.

Thanks guys. Think I'll just buy it. It's only had one previous owner and was purchased from the dealer network by the current owner. It's had a "car park incident" on the near side wing hence the lower price. I've had 4 VW/Audi cars in total in the past with that lump in and they've all never caused me a single problem bar for a head gasket going in a passat at 148,000.

Well bought it, and what a brilliant car! Have been getting 65mpg and it's actually plenty fast! It's no V6, but smooth and actually quite quiet on tickover. Only problem is a knock on the front end, which I'm still trying to find the source of, but otherwise, it's in top condition.  

• 10 months later...