Wet carpet....Help!!!

drumstick

Hello all, I've recently noticed a damp smell in the car, which is a 55 (2005) B6 passat estate 1.9tdi, I've traced this to being a wet carpet in the front passenger footwell.

I've taken the plenum cover off as I expected the drain holes to be blocked and it to be like a paddling pool. But to my surprise it was dry.

I'm looking for suggestions on where to look next.

All the electrics still work, the only thing that concerns me electrically is that the 'bulb blown' light is periodically on but all the lights are working fine.....

Please help if you can.

Thank you for reading this dramatic appeal for a dry car

Thanks for the reply cuprabob, I don't have a sunroof so I can rule that out. Will have a look at the seals.

Although it's all dry around the pollen filter air-intake is it poss with all the rain we've had that's where it could be getting in?

Think ill pop the filter out as well and see if it's wet.

Cheers.......

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update!

I think the problem is solved..

Under the scuttle panel on the passenger side there is another strangely shaped piece of plastic, I took a photo of it in place before I removed it for reference to refit.

This is located directly over the air intake to divert any water straight to the drain dole over the wing. It appears that it wasn't fitted properly as when I refitted it, after I had been nosing around, I went back in slightly different to my photo. Since then I haven't had anymore water getting in.

Fingers crossed..........