Front end knock - Fabia 1.9tdi

drpellypo

Since buying the above a week ago, it's developed a knock at low speeds when going over bumps. It seems to be over on the offside, and sounds, to me, like suspension knock of some kind, however, I've had it jacked up and the following are fine, with no damage and/or play: ARB bush, drop link, ball joints, suspension arm.

Is there anything left that could be causing the knock? If I put my weight on the suspension and bounce up and down, it doesn't knock.

I've got to change the front tyres soon so will ask the tyre place (who are very friendly, thankfully) if they can put it up on the ramp for me. Thankfully the bits are cheap as chips. Thanks for the advice. Interestingly it just sailed through MOT, so examiner musn't have spotted any probs.

• 10 months later...

It was drop links btw. Cheap as chips (and easy) to replace. Just noticed ball joints are shot on wishbone so ordered some lemforder ones from ECP yesterday to fit this weekend. Considered getting the whole arm but the other bushes are tip top so didn't see the point (and didn't particularly want to be faffing for too long outside in this weather.) Thanks for the advice.

No problem, drop links are a pain in the backside sometimes, as they can appear, and feel, absolutely fine when examining them, but still produce the irritating knocking noise.

As you say, cheap to replace anyway so a good start with knocking noises, I think the ones my brother in law replaced on his Zafira were plastic, and cost £12 each.