Poorly dog

Chick

Our gorgeous little girl has become very poorly and so far we've just hit the first 24 hours of intensive care.

She developed breathing problems last night so we rushed her to the vets despite them assuring me after her spay on Monday a sore throat was quite normal.  Her breathing most definitely wasn't ....... she was checked over, no temperature but obviously in distress trying to breathe so they gave her a jab and popped her in an oxygen tent.  After an hour it became clear she wasn't coming home and needed monitoring.

Had a call at 10:30pm to say they needed to operate as she had become even worse and rang me back just after midnight to say they had to put a tracheotomy tube in to help her breathe and needed 24 hour care to keep an eye on her.

Was allowed a ten minute cuddle tonight, she isn't looking at all well to say the least - in fact I'm more worried than I can dare say although she is in the best possible vets in our area.

:(  

We recently spend £680 to have our hound checked out and put on a drip and god knows what else.

It turned out to be something connected to her eating a grape - which are apparently poisonous to dogs (or can be) and that our eldests boyfriend had decided to feed her.....

So you fed him to the dog, obv?

Our daft greyhound once ate half a kilo of grapes.  We did panic a bit when someone pointed out that grapes were bad for dogs.  No apparent adverse effects, though.  Mind you, they're racers, so they continue the family tradition of colliding with anything and everything available at high speed :wacko:

Edited by patently
  • Like 1

Grapes, sultanas, currants etc are very toxic to dogs.  There is also a whole array of garden flowers that are potentially life threatening.

I think I'm going to ask for a bill so far tomorrow, possibly whilst sitting down as she is due to stay in intensive care until at least Monday at the moment, yikes !!

Our little pug, Lola was very poorly last summer. Visits to the vets for very wild shites and vomiting. We couldn't work out what was going on until we noticed her getting through a gap and merrily chomping on the ivy at the back of the garden. Blocked the gap and within a few days she was back to her normal mad self.

Fingers crossed for you Chick.

We have a policy through Sainsburys Pet Insurance.

Only £12 pcm and after paying the bill they had full settlement to us, minus the excess, within a week.  I can't recommend them highly enough.  They also covered a claim for a bad paw a year ago too.  No rise in premium and it was due in the middle of January...and they renewed at the same price again!

So for £12 x 36 (or thereabouts) (£432) we'll have well over £1,000 of cover.

Their telephone claims line is superb too. 

Oh and when we took the policy out they were giving double Nectar points for 2 years. 

p.s.  MrsMe has just reminded me that when a Bee stung the dog (dog tried to eat it, and it lost) the treatment for that was another £300 that they covered.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

I should have updated this.  The eldests boyfriend has been noticeably absent from regular visits to our house since the 'feeding the dog grapes' incident.

I wouldn't say anything, I don't need to because he knows I can't stand him.

It is MrsMe his is terrified of, and rightly so.  I bought her the dog (on my birthday, ironically) and it is very much 'her dog'.  She is the one to be scared of.  I am Mr Meek and Mild by comparison.

Harm her dog and you're on a hit list.

Firstly fingers crossed for you all Faye, not a nice place to be, so lets hope its a short term reaction to something and she'll be right as rain soon.

People who haven't had a dog quite often don't understand that they become an important part of the family. When Scrump was spayed I was more worried than when my son was born!!

Pet insurance is also essential these days - my two were £14 a month via MoreThan and now Murphy (3 Commando, Jack Russell) is insured via Pet Plan.

Worth a look.

Sorry to hear this. Is there any chance it's a reaction from the previous op?

I had no idea about grapes. Most dogs won't eat fruit, but my mum's Shi Tzu used to want anything we gave to the Macaw so would eat bananas and chase grapes around the wood floors. Will add that info though, thanks.

Hope they can treat your dog and it's not anything serious for the future +++

Cheapest insurance around for her is about £70 a month ...... and she wouldn't be covered until now as she was classed as a show dog.  Most of all she is our family pet dog though, and as Dan has mentioned, unless you own a dog it's really hard to explain how they are one of the family.  

Obviously being intubated Monday during her op is the factor of her being in this state, they have no idea at this moment how long until her larynx inflammation will take to reduce enough to allow them to take out the tracheotomy tube and see if she can breathe normally.  I could question whether they used the correct size tube and if they were gentle enough putting it in but in all honesty I chose the vet that operated because of his skill and experience and I totally still trust him.  I'm pretty sure if they had any part to play when they relooked at her throat he would have said, it is simply I've become the 1% instead of the 99%.  

I am absolutely fecked, look every year of my age at the moment and trying to hang on to the thought that I'm doing the right thing by her at the moment although she apparently had another choking episode this morning but they've stabilised her and she's ok again.  

I'll try and find the list of toxin to dogs and pin it up, it's quite a long list actually ........ but worth a read.

Not long back from the vets - we seemed to have turned a corner!  

Thank fook my vets has been practising for 40 years ....... he said he has been very stumped as Monday's op was so classic textbook he couldn't believe it when he was called Wednesday night to operate!   He decided to take some xrays today and found some dark spots at the bottom of her trachea which indicated she had swallowed some mucus and it was this that was causing so many problems.    I walked in to "Faye, we operated again at 4pm" he must have seen my face as he quickly followed it up with "AND SHE HAS NOW BEEN BREATHING ON HER OWN FOR TWO HOURS".   She needs a stable quiet night tonight before they think about letting her come home, but if all goes well she may well be back before the weekend is out.   

He also commented he has checked her out from head to toe and if it wasn't for such good breeding, and she is fit and healthy his skills wouldn't have been enough to save her.    To any of you thinking of ever buying a puppy, please please please do your homework.  The breed I have is not easy to breed by any means but they are now fetching a hefty sum of money for pups (around 4 times from only 3 years ago)  and there are a lot of dodgy breeders that will make this dog extinct as we know it, and along with a whole realm of health problems.

Glass of vino tonight me thinks, maybe even some sleep !!      Thank you for your good wishes, I'm as passionate about my 4 legged fur baby as I am about the rumble of a V8 under my foot ..... although if the 500L didn't make the month I'd not have a care +++

• Like 2