5th gear

Luke

Just watched the Active Tourer review, have to say they weren't as scathing as it's made out in this thread, they said the handling was neutral and the interior was as you'd expect from BMW, quality.

I think they got it pretty much spot on really, it's a car for people who aren't interested in cars, but will pay a bit more for quality.

That will be the wife then. 

The thing is she genuinely really enjoys driving it in a way that she has never mentioned for another car and I can really see why. We went out last week and needed to divert around a close motorway so took to the back roads. 

Into Sport I went, yes it does make the throttle more responsive and the steering changes and it was a great drive and the engine makes it great fun and I really mean that. Both of us genuinely enjoy driving it, the same feel is there from the DNA in my current car to the 330 or the 5 series I've recently drove.

Yes its a front wheel drive car but it still feels like a BMW but no you can't get the back end out on a circuit; but do you know what I don't think any of our wives have ever done that except that time on the beach when they thought nobody was looking.... :o

And for the looks hey I drive a 5 GT so funny looking cars seemed to run in the family at the moment, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Coming dear...  :grin:

I drive three of the worst looking cars imaginable really, a Galaxy, an Impreza, and the Prius, I couldn't care less.

All three of them do exactly the job they were purchased for, Mrs T loves her Prius, and while I think it's one of the worst looking cars on the road, I still enjoy driving it, it's utterly effortless.

A 5 GT and a 2 Active Tourer on one drive??? What's the weekend car? A Ssang Yong Rodius?? :)

We have looked at it if we moved to a single car, but thought two ugly ones were better than one. We have supplied vomit bags to the all houses in the road incase we both leave for work at the same time, two houses have already asked for more.  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I think 90% of the minicabs here are now Prius. They know their running costs so they must be effective round town.

Same here, it's not so much the running costs, they aren't really any cheaper to run than a normal diesel at around 40mpg, although petrol is slightly cheaper, and RFL is only £10, it's the reliability, they just don't go wrong, ever.

Not only that, but brake pads and other consumables last forever, I've never known cars to do between 40-60k on one set of pads when used as a taxi, you can normally expect 20k at best.

I looked at an Auris estate Hybrid the other day, seriously considering replacing the Galaxy with one, all the benefits of the Prius, but with a proper boot, and they look half sensible.

Edited by Tipex