New Golf R

Luke

And then Chevrolet pull out of the UK altogether....

Good riddance!

Who'd have genuinely thought, that in the 21st century, America would be making the shittest cars money can buy, if you forget the Chinese.

And that some of the best cars now come from Korea.

Anyone else see the review of the Kia Pro Cee'd GT on 5th Gear last night?

What a fantastic car, i'd find it hard to justify a Golf GTi over one for the money.

America has made some of the shittest cars money can buy for a long time.  First gen M-Class?  Made in the US and spawned from the ludicrous "partnership" that was Daimler-Benz and Chrysler.  Cheap, nasty, unreliable tosh.

What's the one reason to buy an American-made car?  The V8 in it.  That's all, IMO.  Nothing else.

Given the choice between a new Kia and a used Golf GTI, I'd choose the Golf.  Don't know why, I just would.

American manufacturing (of cars) is very poor yes, but I'm talking more about the American brands, look at what they were producing through the 50's, 60's and early 70's, some fantastic cars (a lot of crap too granted) but I find it hard to believe what they stick the Chevrolet or Chrysler badge on these days.

Given the choice between a new Kia and a used Golf GTI, I'd choose the Golf. Don't know why, I just would.

I do get that and can understand why, but I can't help wondering if you had a play in the Kia GT, if you'd change your mind.

It certainly wouldn't be down to materials or build quality, my mum has a Sportage, and the fit and finish, and materials are at least as good as anything VW, and in terms of reliability, it's leagues ahead.

When it comes to performance, no it's not as quick as a GTi, but they were comparing it's handling, feel and feedback to the latest 'go faster' Megane, and it held it's own, they said it was ultimately 'softer' than the Megane, but still gave you all the feedback, and you could still make it do exactly what you wanted around the bends.

Edited by Tipex

I do get that and can understand why, but I can't help wondering if you had a play in the Kia GT, if you'd change your mind.

It certainly wouldn't be down to materials or build quality, my mum has a Sportage, and the fit and finish, and materials are at least as good as anything VW, and in terms of reliability, it's leagues ahead.

When it comes to performance, no it's not as quick as a GTi, but they were comparing it's handling, feel and feedback to the latest 'go faster' Megane, and it held it's own, they said it was ultimately 'softer' than the Megane, but still gave you all the feedback, and you could still make it do exactly what you wanted around the bends.

I think the Sportage is a great looking car and they drive really well.

I wouldn't have a Kia because I wouldn't want to own the brand - it has a stigma with it, in the same way as many other manufacturers do, from Hyundai to Rolls Royce.

To put it in context, looking at houses - I can get a really decent, well built new house with all the mod cons in a fairly good area for decent money.  Alternatively, I can go a bit further out, find an older house which doesn't have all mod cons, costs more in council tax, but I'd rather live there.  Same for post codes, because there's a stigma attached to them.  There's some lovely houses in BH20 and BH22, but I'd rather live in BH21, and not in the east of the post code.  Yes, quite happy that people may think I'm a post code snob, or house snob, or car snob (I'd argue hardly with a VW, but there you go) - it's just what I'd prefer :)

It looks like the korean brands haven't got the engines quite sorted yet, I know that the Kia has a 1.6 in it, it's a CVVT rather than a Turbo isn't it? Suspect it's not that great economy wise. They've come on leaps and bounds though, still not sure if i'd get one but I think i'd possibly consider it.

Certainly for the missus car...  :grin:

Back to the Golf R, this is the Lapiz Blue colour I have ordered (not my car in the photo though).

Much darker than the Rising Blue on the Roc R next to it (same Rising Blue as the Mk6 Golf R I have at present).  +++

post-3244-0-09920700-1393953347_thumb.jp

Edited by TP27

If MrMe was a genuine United fan, he'd be driving a Chevrolet instead of that BMW, some 'fans' just don't show any support.

This is true.

Even Sir Alex was made to drive one.:roflmao:

Chevrolet-Volt-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-cars-of

The funniest thing about that though is the car from previous sponsors, Audi, that he had to change to the Chevrolet Volt from - an A8 W12. :roflmao:

Back to the Golf R, this is the Lapiz Blue colour I have ordered (not my car in the photo though).

Much darker than the Rising Blue on the Roc R next to it (same Rising Blue as the Mk6 Golf R I have at present). +++

Ahem, back on topic.

Looking good, TP. Bet you can't wait. Need to hear the engine as well in your full write up.

• Like 1