Won't start after timing belt change

ChrisGoulding

I'm after some help on my wife's 2006 golf plus 1.9 tdi. I changed the timing belt and since then it won't start. The engine turns over but won't start. I locked the cam and crank for changing but everytime I turn the engine over the timing marks are out. The cam is lined up but the crank is about an inch clockwise. Would this stop it starting? It got dark so I couldn't carry on but is it likely that I just need to do the timing again? I would have thought it would start even if running rough. I've ruled out an air lock in the fuel lines.

I've tried again this morning and the crank is definitely aligned and the cam locking pin is in the correct location. However, when I try to manually turn the engine it stops after a small clockwise turn like it is hitting the valve. Without the timing belt on both crank and cam will turn. Any ideas??

Yes - you've not got the timing marks properly aligned on the crank and camshaft.  Don't try to start it, or you'll cause expensive damage.

You can align it all visually - there's timing marks on the crank and cam pulleys, as well as the case and the head.  No exact alignment means it's wrong.

I've refitted it and the lock pin is in the centre of the groove on the cam and the crank lock is firmly in place with the crank arrow at tdc. Yet when I turn the crank by hand it stops hard. If I take the tb off again, both with turn ok. Where am I going wrong? I've done a few tb changes and never encountered this problem.

• 1 year later...