Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drewcam

BMW Wheel Laquer Issue

17 posts in this topic

Has anyone had problems whith wheel laquer on their BMW. Got a 62 plate 3 Series and the laquar is simply peeling off.

I dont and haven't used any kind of wheel cleaner on them. The only product that has been on them is Dodo Juice Supernatural Hybrid to seal them, so that is not the issue.

post-2183-0-78590000-1394983744_thumb.jp

Edited by Drewcam

Not something I've ever had to be honest, and I've not heard of it either.

It does look as if it has been something abrasive or corrosive though doesn't it?  Very odd indeed.

Looks & sounds like a manufacturing defect on just that wheel.

1 person likes this

Looks & sounds like a manufacturing defect on just that wheel.

That, or a previous poor quality refurb...possibly at either Thorne or at the dealer PDI?

Edited by PeterS
2 people like this

Sorry, Thorne is where BMW UKs import centre is, not far from Doncaster. All new cars go through it, along with BMW group management cars which are returbed there (generally just stone chips and kerbed wheels...:grin: ) before being marketed as Approved Used Cars across the dealer network. If you buy a used BMW that's under a year old, and usually less than 10k miles, on a Yx prefixed plate odds are it's an ex management car.

2 people like this

Thanks for that Peter, makes perfect sence. Car was a few months old when purchased with 6k miles on clock.

1 person likes this

My old car was an ex-management car lots of spec and a great price whats not to like.

What has BMW said about the problem have you taken it back to them?

1 person likes this

The BMW press and ex-BMW employee cars are some of the best you can buy.  You can always spot when they've been dished out to the dealer network too. 

My dealer recently had five X5 30d's, all with identical specification - all from BMW.  They went quickly too. 

1 person likes this

This is quite a common manufacturer defect. Certainly across the Audi and VW range. Generally dealers will just swap out the wheel.

It's been in to the dealers today for some sort of software update (wifes car she took it in).

Along with the software update and a new led light switch on the vanity sunblind mirror, 3 new wheels have been ordered for the car.

The wifes first experiance with the service/aftersales team and she was very impressed (and she is hard to please).

Defects in the laquer detected in 3 wheels so going to be replaced without any issue.

5 people like this

Excellent, sounds like good service, nice to hear. +++

1 person likes this

Wouldn't 4 new wheels be better? If you get 3, one won't colour match.

Sounds like good service, Drew. +++

Mine's an ex BMW management car, hence good spec and Individual colour. My wheel problem is more my own doing - it's got the 19" diamond cut alloys. BMW don't refurb them so before I sell it I'll need to find a good diamond cut refurber to do all four wheels where I've feckin curbed them.  I'm not having 19's again. :unsure:

1 person likes this

I'm not having 19's again. :unsure:

Don't blame you. My Discovery was delivered from stock, I got them to take off the optional 20" wheels it left the factory with and put the standard 19s on instead.

Great service though Drew, can I ask which dealer that is?

Yes 4 would be better and they said they would push for 4 but not hopeful.

The one that is left with no problem was a wheel that was replaced when the car was purchased. It had a scuff on it so they replaced it from another car and its this one that has no problems.

I'm more than happy with getting 3 replaced.

1 person likes this