expensive numberplates

M8CKN

I saw a Vito sportline thing earlier with a Brabus plate, well, nearly, it was BR11BUS.

Normally I don't like that sort of plate, but it was spaced correctly and was obvious to anyone who knows, but to anyone else, it was just an 11 plate Vito.

Edited by Tipex

My cars never get the issued numberplate even when brand new.

So is that the opposite of a private plate being for vanity reasons?  I never show people that the car is brand new.

I bought mine many years ago because I liked it.  It was the grand sum of £399 and the same plates now go for £799. 

So apart from the fact I like it, it hasn't lost any money (I'm not stupid enough to think it has doubled in value but I reckon I might get £500-600 for it).

Conversely we don't have one on MrsMe's cars and never have done because we've never found one she liked.  We've looked, a lot, but the ones she has liked have been £3,000 or more and I'm not prepared to spend that much on a registration mark.  However, if someone does, it's their money and their choice. 

I don't like car specific plates but if someone likes one, fair enough.  I hate mis-spaced plates and anyone who has one should be shot in the arms, legs and then hung, drawn and quartered.  To me, a mis-spaced plate is the ultimate expression of a desperate ego.  Leave them as they are in the knowledge you know what they say.  Why try to communicate that to everyone else?  Anyone who knows me would know what my plate meant.  If they don't know me, I don't care!  It's for me, not for anyone else. +++

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

On the flip side I like decent private plates on either nice cars or strange cars. I.e. The powder blue focus near me with LE55 CAR on it works for me in the same way Peter Richardson's 993 RS with the plate 911 PR does.

The plate '993 RS' is going through the next DVLA auction.  :cool:

Is your mate on the look out for another 'PR' plate?  Drop me a pm if so

Complete crap.

My number plate is worth four times the value of the car it's currently assigned to, that's the beauty of a private plate, I can put it on whatever I like, I've had it on brand new cars worth 30k, down to the current old banger, I don't have it for any reason other than I like it.

I'll PM you then next time if I want to have an opinion. Just to check its acceptable :grin:

Fair point though.

• Like 1

I think a lot of them - on not so good cars, are for people with large egos but smaller wallets.

They would rather have a £3k plate on a £5k car - than buy a £8k car with standard dabs.......because it makes them feel important.

Unfortunately, as they become more and more popular - they become less prestigious.

I drove past a school the other day and half the cars in the teachers car park had them.

People with large egos but smaller wallets buy cars they cannot afford to buy outright on finance.  Someone mentioned in the 'living above your means' thread the other day the most commonly repossessed car was the Q7!  So the 8k goes down as deposit and the rest on the drip.'  However I cannot imagine you'd buy an 8k plate on finance?

Or you're Booster and you buy one so your customers DON'T think you've got a new car :)

Exactly right!!

I purchased the cheapest plate possible that still looks like a normal 11 plate to make clients think I had bought a used car!

Can't have them thinking they have paid for that expensive lump of metal can we??! :)

• 3 weeks later...