expensive numberplates

M8CKN

But would you turn up in your nice car in front of all your low paid employees?

Of course, if you are embarrassed by what you drive, you are driving the wrong car, besides, you have to incentivise them somehow, show them what they can achieve with hard work.

Of course, if you are embarrassed by what you drive, you are driving the wrong car, besides, you have to incentivise them somehow, show them what they can achieve with hard work.

It doesn't work like that.

Many people want the nice things in life but don't want to work for them and view those that have them as being lucky or taking advantage of them.

The logic says you're correct but the reality is nothing like it.

I don't think it means you have to be embarassed by what you drive either.  You're just being sensible and know the negativity and outlook of many people.  I know a few people who don't take their 'best' car into work for that very reason.  They don't do it because they know how small minded people can be.  You might say that could mean they've got the wrong employees, but it can happen with even the most apparently reasonable minded of folk.  They can be a brilliant employee but don't want you showing your success to them.

Sometimes, rightly or wrongly, it just doesn't work out well when you show others the things you've worked hard for.

It doesn't work like that.

Many people want the nice things in life but don't want to work for them and view those that have them as being lucky or taking advantage of them.

Sorry but I just can't agree with any of that.

Generally those people are the unemployed benefits claimants that think the world owes them a favour, I don't see that reflected in employees.

If staff members are valued and respected, treated fairly and paid a decent wage for what they do, I don't see any resentment towards bosses that have nice houses/cars etc.

Don't think for one minute that the staff of any of those people you know who don't take their 'nice cars' to work don't know that their boss owns it.

It's a problem dreamt up by bosses who are for whatever reason, ashamed of what they have.

Sorry but I just can't agree with any of that.

Generally those people are the unemployed benefits claimants that think the world owes them a favour, I don't see that reflected in employees.

If staff members are valued and respected, treated fairly and paid a decent wage for what they do, I don't see any resentment towards bosses that have nice houses/cars etc.

Don't think for one minute that the staff of any of those people you know who don't take their 'nice cars' to work don't know that their boss owns it.

It's a problem dreamt up by bosses who are for whatever reason, ashamed of what they have.

Sorry, my personal experience of it says differently from a few years back, as does that of numerous friends.

Completely different.  I'm not stupid and I wasn't ashamed of the 6 series when it was new, but nor was I ignorant of the fact some people just don't see things the same way as I do. 

I'm afraid you're talking of people you don't know too and making presumptious statements about them.  You've said "don't think for one minute that the staff of those people you know who don't take their 'nice cars' to work don't know their boss owns it" as if you know it as fact.  You're wrong.  Completely wrong.  I can tell you categorically that in all cases they do not know.  What makes you think you know differently? 

I work for quite a large international company. The old CEO used to arrive in his A4 cabriolet. One day a finance director arrived in his Lambo. Nobody knows whether he won the lottery, married a rich wife, has inherited the money, has made good investments, etc etc but immediately comments were being made in the office about it. I've no issue with it and I'm not suggesting he should have done anything different but it's naive not to realise that displaying your wealth in front of others will not always inspire people but in many cases will raise negative feelings.

With the Subway example : if the franchise owner turned up in his shiny new 911/Aston Martin etc I'm sure a few people would be thinking "he's taking all the profit out of me working hard for nearly minimum wage". I don't subscribe to that view point but given the society we're in I'm sure a few people would not be impressed. I totally get that the guy has taken the risk, invested loads etc but surely you can't fail to see that the above could happen and hence why many avoid doing it.

• Like 2

You don't credit people with enough intelligence.

At the end of the day, none of us 'know for a fact' it is purely personal opinion, my personal experience says otherwise.

And the fact every comment above says 'but I don't think like that' shows you seem to think everyone else does.

Doesn't seem to bother Alan Sugar, or Richard Branson...

Edited by Tipex

Where's Sam to throw in his experiences?

Depends where you work and your position. High achieving industries such as futures, investing, empires the odd Bentley isnt an issue.

Businesses paying minimum wage, and bosses of that company pleading harsh times turning up in seriously expensive cars would be a tad insentive.

I wonder what Mike Ashley drove when hed turn up at the Derbyshire warehouse unit where minimum wage and harsh working conditions were the norm.

Knowing Mike Ashley, a Rolls Royce Wraith. :uhoh:

In IT, it's rarely the boss who has the flash car. Far more likely to be techy or PM contractors. And if you're an IT contractor working in a team alongside permies, there will always be some (maybe your hiring boss) who will hold it against you if you turn up to the office car park in your 911. There's nothing wrong with a little discretion in support of team morale. Oddly, perhaps, the one place I worked where the car park had a healthy smattering of 911s, Aston Martins, R8s and a couple of stunning classics in the summer was a Government site.

On knowing about a colleague's garage contents (not a euphemism :uhoh: ), you'd think being a petrolhead would mean the conversation would come round to cars at some point, but I worked closely with a colleague for five years before I found out he had any interest in cars, his battered Mondeo was just the daily hack and he had an imacculate 911 SC at home.

• Like 2

At the end of the day, none of us 'know for a fact' it is purely personal opinion, my personal experience says otherwise.

And the fact every comment above says 'but I don't think like that' shows you seem to think everyone else does.

Doesn't seem to bother Alan Sugar, or Richard Branson...

My experience was as I stated it and it also means some didn't react like that. It's not an opinion. It's what I've experienced.

You don't agree that my experience  - not sure how that's possible and then say I should credit people with enough intelligence? You then miss quote me to suggest I think everyone thinks a certain way when I was clear this wasn't the case.

Maybe read and digest before making points .... actually what is your point exactly? Are you saying no one would think as I found? Really, despite me demonstrating some do. If that's not your point the surely you must actually agree that some would and some wouldn't?!?!?!

Several years ago I used to work at one of the BP gas terminals & when he arrived to make an announcement the field manager turned up in his (at the time) brand new Fezza 430 Stradale (IIRC) It was rather insensitive as he was there to announce massive lay-offs!

That went down well.

My experience was as I stated it and it also means some didn't react like that. It's not an opinion. It's what I've experienced.

You don't agree that my experience - not sure how that's possible and then say I should credit people with enough intelligence? You then miss quote me to suggest I think everyone thinks a certain way when I was clear this wasn't the case.

Maybe read and digest before making points .... actually what is your point exactly? Are you saying no one would think as I found? Really, despite me demonstrating some do. If that's not your point the surely you must actually agree that some would and some wouldn't?!?!?!

Calm down dear, most of what I typed was in response to MrMe rather than yourself.

As I said, my experience is completely different and I don't agree with you, not sure what else you want me to say?

Just saying 'I know someone and they don't do it' doesn't prove anything but then nor does me saying I don't agree.

I'm not sure why people take someone not agreeing with them on the Internet over a subject that is utterly stupid so seriously and vociferously?

Ultimately, who gives a f*ck?

Edited by Tipex

Calm...

As ...

Just...

I'm...

a f*ck?

Swap 3 and 4 and that almost could have been a subliminal message!

However, that would be assuming (as you said yourself)

• 1 month later...