expensive numberplates

M8CKN

Could be a good investment.  The price simply boils down to who is there on the day wanting it - as seen by '1965 DB' and also 'FA15ALS' which went for 35,000 plus fees........ W T F !!!!

Sometimes plates go for less than expected.  I don't think I've ever seen a DVLA auction where so many have failed to meet reserve as last weeks!

However, for reference, 650 S went for 31k plus fees.....

If its cheapies you are after, WAP111E is up next auction - 250 reserve - shame it's not WOP111E

Looking at the previous auction result the same style of plate goes for about £500 over reserve so it would be £2k plus fees and vat. Lot of dough but 1987 FC is my year of birth and my initials. Is it worth that??

Edited by Booster

Auction is definitely the place to buy - especially if you are looking for pre 63 style - ie. number + letters / letters + numbers only

Regret not buying another at auction about 18 months ago.  I told myself I wouldn't buy another until I'd sold my current, but the hammer fell at less than half the price I expected it to go for.  I should have been there!

Just out of interest, have you ever investigated whether BO05TER exists?  It's not assigned to a car, and its not listed the DVLA for sale

DVLA only lists for sale BO05TEA, B, C, G, H, J, K, L, N, P, S, R, U, X, Y and Z

Looks like the DVLA have not released any BO06 or BO08 indexes - possibly because they could read BOOB?

The new retention rules are quite canny by the DVLA - less paperwork for them to process every year, hence they can make even more staff redundant at Swansea having already closed all the local DVLA offices, and it will encourage more people to buy a plate to 'sit on' now there is no retention fee, hence more income....

Cannot believe you've just posted which plate you plan bidding on!  Didn't a naughty TSNer try and buy L4GOO after Lagoo spotted it was for sale......

Edit your post!  ;)

You'd be doing EXTREMELY well to get 'it' for 2k plus fees imo.

Looking at last weeks hammer prices:

1965 AA - £2800
2222 AF - £2400
1985 AG - £2100
1970 AL - £2000
1986 AM - £4000
1987 AS - £2700
9000 BA - £2500
7777 BC - £2500

etc etc etc

Looking at the previous auction result the same style of plate goes for about £500 over reserve so it would be £2k plus fees and vat. Lot of dough but 1987 FC is my year of birth and my initials. Is it worth that??

If someone else wants it, the sky is the limit, it's worth what someome is prepared to pay for it, sometimes seemingly innocuous plates go for big money if you get a couple of wealthy bidders going at it, the reserve often bares no resemblance at all to what the plate will sell for.

I paid a lot more than that for mine, it went for way over the reserve, but it was still less than I was prepared to pay so I considered it a bargain.

Damn it, was about to suggest what FC could have meant.................   You Facking Cant!  :grin:   As Mr Flannagan would say.

• Like 2

If someone else wants it, the sky is the limit, it's worth what someome is prepared to pay for it, sometimes seemingly innocuous plates go for big money if you get a couple of wealthy bidders going at it, the reserve often bares no resemblance at all to what the plate will sell for.

I paid a lot more than that for mine, it went for way over the reserve, but it was still less than I was prepared to pay so I considered it a bargain.

Agreed - it solely comes down to who is present at auction as discussed the other day when 1965 DB made 26.5k plus fees!

On the other hand it can work in your favour, sometimes there isn't much interest, and they go for less than anticipated.  And if the bids aren't coming in, if you've done your homework and know what the reserve price is, you can bid reserve and its yours.  As mentioned, last weeks auction had the greatest number of unsold lots that I've seen in quite a while