Checking shower thermostat

cabby

We have one of these http://www.purabathrooms.com/guides/222-333.pdf and its playing up.  Basically, it only lets hot water through i.e. turn to the colder position and the water gradually stops.  Set it in the medium to hot temp. position and more water comes through.  I'm guessing the thermostat is knackered but also wondered if the cold feed could be having issues?  

Assuming I can isolate the shower feeds I'll take apart in the next few days if I can find the time.  

Either the thermostat is knackered or there's a blockage in the cold feed. But given that there doesn't seem to be an inline filter on this model it's more likely the thermostat. If you're in a hard water area it may just need a de-scale.

Plumbers pliers would do that.

I take it the problem isn't finding a spanner which fits, it more lack of purchase due to offset angle? You could always check the size of the cover plate, beak away more of the board (but inside the cover plate footprint) so a standard spanner has enough angle to offer purchase.

When the cover plate gets fixed back use a low modulus mastic to make sure water from use doesn't creep in.

Tried PP and they don't get enough purchase (the hex nut is shallow - perhaps 2 to 3mm deep). Also the spindle gets in the way.  Bloody awkward design. 

I also want to change the flow valve as this has been dropping when turned off.  This looks even harder to get to (top part of pic)!

I thought about breaking back the tile but can see that going very wrong and needing a tile replaced. Are there any easy ways to control breaking out part of a tile?   Thanks for the mastic tip - have a fresh tube ready come refit time. 

I'll give the chap who fitted it a call tomorrow and ask how he did it . . . I suspect I may be calling him back before I screw it up!

You can break away some of the tile using a small flat screwdriver and a hammer. Just nibble away a small amount at a time. That is quite tight, I normally leave a bit more of a gap when installing mine.