Gatwick long stay parking recommendations please

cabby

Need 8 days parking in a few weeks time for a family holiday.   Kids are 8 and 2 so youngest will have a buggy hence ease of transfer is important.  I really don't want a leave-your-keys jobby and would prefer self park (yes, I have seen too many of those exposes!) although the valet parking option is tempting. 

Going via the main Gatwick site prices are as follows: 

- Long Stay - £90 (self park)

- 'Summer special' - £59 5m transfer via shuttle but leave keys

- Valet parking  - £99

Any better deals to be had?

I've been flying from Gatwick a lot recently, and always use the valet parking option. Firstly it's not that expensive relative to the other options, secondly you drop off and pick up right by the terminal and, I've only recently noticed, it now seems to be called 'Valet Parking and Premium Security', which lets you and up to five others use the fast track security lane regardless of class of travel +++

Taxis will be roughly £100 there and back although would like to have a safe driver and a seat for the youngest. One taxi firm said they will take and keep the baby seat. Sounds attractive given our 1am return :)

I tend to use Summer Special parking, it's on site, so your car doesn't go far once you leave the keys.

There are other, cheaper options, but not on-site, which means a trip in a battered mini bus.

Obviously I'd say take a taxi, but only if you are sure the firm are reputable, and are going to be waiting for you when you get home, nothing worse than a cab that doesn't turn up when you just want to get home, any decent cab firm will look after your child seat for you.

I have always used the Gatwick parking at the end of the runway.  Keep the keys and a bus service takes 5 minutes to the get to/from the terminal.

I usually drop everyone off, then go and park. 

Then collect everyone once we return after I have collected the car.

Only 5 mins from the terminal.

I have always used the Gatwick parking at the end of the runway. Keep the keys and a bus service takes 5 minutes to the get to/from the terminal.

I usually drop everyone off, then go and park.

Then collect everyone once we return after I have collected the car.

Only 5 mins from the terminal.

If you haven't done it for a while you might be in for a surprise next time you go, drop off is fine, but no pick up whatsoever, short stay car park is the only way you can pick up.

You can wing it and try to pick up in the drop off area, and you might get away with it, or you might get a ticket in the post a few weeks later from the CCTV parking cameras, or one of the parking nazis.

We have terrorists to thank for this, and the airport also thanks them no doubt, for the additional income.

You can wing it and try to pick up in the drop off area, and you might get away with it, or you might get a ticket in the post a few weeks later from the CCTV parking cameras, or one of the parking nazis.

Ooh.... so you could get a ticket for picking someone up from the drop off area? Even if they're already there and you're only stopped long enough for them to get in the car?

Wonder if they'll think of doing that at Manchester? Currently the only free pick up option at T1 is exactly the same - tell them to meet you at the Departures drop off area... :unsure:

Wonder if they'll think of doing that at Manchester? Currently the only free pick up option at T1 is exactly the same - tell them to meet you at the Departures drop off area... :unsure:

At Manchester, I use the train station for picking up <insert joke>. 

Stansted have had picking-up locked down for years, the extreme short-stay is 25 quid for a picking up.

Edited by Andy_Bangle

Think we are going to use a taxi for this years summer holiday ...... not much more than parking but they also drop and collect you from the terminal (assuming they can still do this at LGW North Terminal).  Not booked yet as need a few local recommendations as last firm we used, twice left us waiting on our return, I wasn't very pleased the second time after an 11hour night flight I can tell you!

If you haven't done it for a while you might be in for a surprise next time you go, drop off is fine, but no pick up whatsoever, short stay car park is the only way you can pick up.

We have terrorists to thank for this, and the airport also thanks them no doubt, for the additional income.

The thing is, if terrorists want to attack an airport, they will.  Doesn't really matter what the authorities try to do

A bit like money laundring.  Normos get told to jump through hoops and over flaming hurdles to buy something and get checked and checked, yet Mr 'Mexican drug cartel' man can launder it really easily.

Oh well!

The thing is, if terrorists want to attack an airport, they will. Doesn't really matter what the authorities try to do

A bit like money laundring. Normos get told to jump through hoops and over flaming hurdles to buy something and get checked and checked, yet Mr 'Mexican drug cartel' man can launder it really easily.

Oh well!

I frequently fly private aircraft and enter and exit the 'back door' so to speak (Stoppit.) When you travel this way you realise that airport security is essentially non existent. There are tonnes of routes in and out. If you were a terrorist, you'd use these, and wouldn't bother with the front door! All this stuff is a cash cow for the airport and a front to 'reassure' the public. Edited by drpellypo
  • Like 1

There is no stopping in the red zone. The white zone is for picking up and dropping off only.

• Like 1

Think we are going to use a taxi for this years summer holiday ...... not much more than parking but they also drop and collect you from the terminal (assuming they can still do this at LGW North Terminal).  Not booked yet as need a few local recommendations as last firm we used, twice left us waiting on our return, I wasn't very pleased the second time after an 11hour night flight I can tell you!

If you use an airport taxi, they can pick you up from the taxi zone just outside arrivals, but they are significantly more expensive than you'd pay a local firm.

A decent local cab firm will monitor your arrival time and have a driver (preferably the same one who took you) waiting for you in the arrivals hall, obviously this means a short walk to the short stay car park, and possibly the car park fee depending on whether they include it or not, it's not normally included because there can sometimes be delays with baggage, or people just taking the piss, but it shouldn't be more than a few quid, that's why we monitor the flight for delays, so we aren't waiting around racking up car park charges.

Edited by Tipex

Oh we'd defo book a local taxi firm, not from the airport.  Just need to get a few recommendations after being let down twice in a row by a firm we had used over several years for pretty much everytime we needed a taxi.   The idea of being stranded at Gatwick with 4 kids at 1am on the return from holibobs would not be my idea of fun!!!