Potentially buy this on Saturday, any pointers

AZURES3

Wife didn't like the drive she said it felt too big a car

Told ya about the A6 size for wives!  :roflmao:

The big gotcha on the A4 was the Interior Light Package. This has pissed a lot of people off. I spec'ed it but many missed it :

"Interior light package. Includes front and rear footwell lighting, active door reflectors, illuminated vanity mirrors, rear reading lights, entrance lights and illuminated glove compartment, vents and internal door handles."

I don't see it in the car you're looking at.... and before you start - yes it should be fecking standard!!!! 
  • Like 1

Interior light pack is rubbish it's standard equipment on my Seat Leon 1.6tdi and our VW Tiguan.

Not sure on target price trade in values come back at £21500 so was going to aim for £22000

My mate's A6 Le Mans has this package - I think it's lovely in the dark with the lights on, the subtle lighting in footwell, door handles and stuff give a superb effect!

I had it on my A6 and added it onto my A3 when I specced that, how they can get away with selling a car for so much money without even providing vanity mirror lights is just shocking. 

Try a BMW they come with handling and lighting as standard.  :P  +++

• Like 1

My mate's A6 Le Mans has this package - I think it's lovely in the dark with the lights on, the subtle lighting in footwell, door handles and stuff give a superb effect!

My Skoda Superb had all that back in 2003, and so did the base spec models, it's somewhat ridiculous you have to spec something like that on an Audi.

Same model and very very similar spec to the one I tracked down for my auntie - basically an S line with the tech pack.  So you have Navigation and AMI, xenons, front and rear parking, cruise, half leather.  Theirs was also 9 months old with similar mileage when they bought it, an ex Audi HQ MK management car, MK14 5AN number plates being the give away.  That's a very good price to start with tbh when you consider list is 35k!  Theirs was up for 26995 with 8500 miles on the clock, precisely 9 months old, albeit the pricier Avant which lists at 1300 more

They're going to have £3k across that minimum (in my opinion).

If it is the right car for you, go for it - but not at £22,000.

Insult them, politely.  If you're in a position to purchase then you're in a position of power.

Bollocks to hedging bets.  It is your hard earned money.  £21,000 as Chris says.  Then walk.

No calls back for a week, minimum. 

Play hard.  I don't care what anyone says, it works.  You're not a charity and they're certainly not.

p.s. book trade prices mean nothing.  Dealers rarely pay trade, they'll SIV well below in most cases.  Maybe it is old fashioned, but to be honest I'd not even be offering £21,000.  Plead poverty.  Really want that car, but it's £4k above what you wanted and whilst you could stretch a bit, nothing like that much, blah blah blah.  I swear a lot of the UK has gone soft on negotiating (not saying you have, but why offer £22,000 if that is the price you'd pay - offer much, much less).

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

Oh and p.p.s.....

Embarrassment isn't offering an insulting price and being told to sod off.

Embarrassment is discovering you've cost your family £2,000 more than you could have done.

Oddly enough I'm always told dealers find me difficult and awkward at buying time, but guess what - the feckers always invite me back when they think I'll be interested in another car.  Odd that isn't it?  :roflmao:

• Like 1

I paid about £400 more (than I needed to) for my new MX5 (1994)

I found this out when I accidentally saw the profit sheet next to another with a £400 lesser profit.

So, however I looked at it, I'd paid £400 more than someone else.  I had plenty of time to look at it.  It has annoyed the hell out of me ever since and I now bite my lip and remind myself of it everytime I have an opportunity to negotiate on something.

We've all done it, almost certainly.  Nobody can ever be a master of getting a price to the bottom unless you know their margins, performance levels and levels of desperation - but I'm bloody determined to do my utmost to try wherever possible. 

It never ceases to amaze me how people will see consider £200, £500 or even £1,000 like 'nothing' on a car purchase because the total goods cost is high so it seems small by comparison.  Then, show them it in hard cash, £10 or £20 notes, and they'll soon change their mind about how awkward they should be. 

I'm certain that car finance has everything to do with this change in culture.

£500 or £1000 might mean you pay a very small (seemingly) amount more.  Maybe a tenner, maybe £20 a month, who knows.

However, you can rest assured that, however they do it, you are paying that £500 or £1000 more....

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

Seriously, it is like everyone has stopped buying stuff this month. One dealer sold 126 cars last May. His words yesterday: "We need our best week ever next week to get to half of last May."

That is but one example of the stuff I have been hearing for the last couple of weeks.

I put myself on gardening leave yesterday: Came home and cut the lawns mid morning!!

Lots of conversations today with salesman and his manager and they won't go below £23,500 stating they have just dropped it £1000 and it's the cheapest on Audi and Autotrader website. I agreed the only other one or same spec is £26950 but in that bracket I would buy new through drivethedeal.com.

I really like the car and am not sure at £23,500 it's a terrible deal but......

While there's no one worse than me for wanting to screw every penny out of a deal, ultimately it's worth whatever you're prepared to pay.  If £23,500 is too much, then walk away.  They may get £23,500, or maybe £22,500. Or someone might think it's worth the full asking price.  If it ticks your boxes, then it's a case of asking yourself what else it out there for the same money, and is it worth you blinking first.

I've been on both side of the fence recently - once buying the S5 whereby I bided my time (months) until they agreed to what I was prepared to pay.  The other time was selling it's predecessor - the right deal came along and I took it, meaning the other party got a good deal.  Both times though, it was about setting a figure in my head that I would be happy with.

• Like 1