Hopsta

Dealer Bullsh1t check

14 posts in this topic

Car is in the stealers for some minor things with one of the being that the car rolls a bit (2-3 inches) after the handbrake has been applied when on a slope.

Now Mr stealer says this is a 'quirk' and quite common for BMW's, but my bullsh1t radar thinks otherwise as I've never had this with any car I've ever driven, even other BMWs!

Thoughts please....

If it's an auto then I call bullsh*t.  The handbrake is fecked and the 3-4" roll is the car settling onto the parklock.

If it's manual and you're leaving it in gear, ditto.  

If it's manual and you're leaving it in neutral then I haven't a clue but have never encountered this on any of the BMWs I've owned.

It's a manual and we don't leave it in gear, I'll challenge them more when I pick it up later.

Is this not because the handbrake gubbins is separate to the brakes? My X5 does this and I always assumed it to be that.

None of my last 3 3 series' have done this? 1st auto, next 2 manual.

It is VERY common in the X5 and X6 autos but not by 2-3 inches.

The X5 would move a good inch, maybe 1.5, the X6 does it by about 2cm.

It is usually on the cars before Stop/Start and remote ignition, where the key slots into the dash.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

Mine does this but I know my handbrake needs tightening.

My BM has a shite handbrake. I feel like I'm going to snap the cable I have to pull it so high.

If they're all manual cars then I think it is nothing more than getting the handbrake checked and tightened.

In the auto's, it is certainly a characteristic in some models.  I smell bullshit on manual transmission cars though if it is being said this is 'normal'.

It's totally normal. All the BMWs I have owned do it. It's just due to the longitudinal compliance in the rear suspension.

1 person likes this

I dunno. I am familiar with the rollback on autos from when I drive in Canada but here when I put on handbrake on "normally" I get that rollback but when I really yank it up, I get none

Never had handbrake roll in my 318i, the 320d SE, both E46's M3's or the Z4 35i.

To be fair MrMe, your Z4 had no suspension compliance to allow for this!

1 person likes this