Car not starting although the battery is full - 2004 A8

Lazare

Hello,

I am new to the Audi world as this is just a car a friend lent me for a week. However, today the car has refused to start, atlhough I verified through the MMI that there was no battery problems, as it is at 100%. Any clues on what to do next ?

I have looked through the manual but cant find any. I have a master key.

Your help would be greatly appreciated as this might ruin a friendship for me !

• Like 1

Hello,

Thx for the replies your help is much appreciated :)

Nothing happens when I try to start it - it's as if the key were inserted (the radio, the mmi system, etc work) but that I didn't turn it. There is no crank whatsoever.

How could I see if it's a battery management problem ?

The MMI control to show battery level is  CAR>Setup will show your some stuff, then you can choose Battery Management.  (I think, if that is the correct buttons!)

You might need to plug in VAG-Com to scan for any error codes.  VAG-Com is the disgnostic tool for ross-tech.

The spare key wasn't working either. I had to call a dealer today to get the problem solved, I couldn't wait any longer. They had to drag it onto the truck as it would nit go out if P (it's an automatic) - it scratched it a lot underneath. Thanks for help and I'll keep you posted as to what the problem was in case anybody has a similar problem !

• 1 month later...

Had a similar problem with my 2004 A8 in May this year. The car was parked on the drive, it was pouring down with rain and the alarm started sounding continuously all at 11oclock at night. The key fob wouldn't open the car, so had to use the emergency key hole under the drivers handle to get in. Car wouldn't start,alarm wouldn't stop sounding, Steering lock stuck. Parking brake stuck. Gear lever stuck, key got stuck in lock. RAC called who disabled the alarm. (Removed the siren and asked me to put it in the fridge as was still going off what with its battery backup, it goes for about an hour before stopping) It got dragged to an audi dealer where 1200 pounds later and three ecu's it was fixed. All due to blocked ac evaporator drains leaking water onto the ecu's under the carpets. Yet they couldn't program my second key fob so want £250 and proof of id and log book before they can order me one.

Still look on the bright side only the second major issue in 9 years of ownership. Lovely car though.