Boxing thread

Soulboy

The Dodd stoppage was way too fast. To not even give him a count proved the politics at play in boxing.

I was disappointed with the smith v fielding fight. I was looking forward to it for a while and it was an anticlimax for me.

Agreed on Dodd.+++

Smith v Fielding is a fight that I thought people gave Fielding a better chance in than he actually had.  He can punch, no doubt about that, but I think Callum Smith could be a very special boxer.  I know the family has pedigree throughout in boxing, but he is a class above his brothers in my opinion.  I can certainly see him winning a world title if they manage him properly and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he goes on to serious wealth in the USA.  I don't think multiple world titles are beyond him if he keeps his head right.

The comparison always makes me think the same too - what a shame we never got to see Joe destroy Froch.  It would have been carnage,

Well it was a fight Joe could have taken but he decided against it, a bit like Steve Collins didn't take theght against Joe

Froch V Calzaghe would have been one helluva scrap for a couple of rounds

I do slightly disagree that Joe took Kessler apart I was there ringside and it was a good fight but Kessler is just hard as feckin nails, not a bloke to have a street fight him and Froch are cut from the same type of granite

But probably one of my abiding memeories was watching Eubank for the first time absolutely destroy Dennis Cronin and speaking to Dennis in the bar afterwards,his face looked like it had been run through a wood chipper

My best mate was fighting Herbie Hide at heavyweight on the same bill,fell over in the first round as instructed :secret:

He sparred with the likes of Lennox Lewis Frank Bruno, but always reckoned that Gary Mason was a harder hitter than either of them

Talking of Froch is it just me or does Groves look a shadow of the fighter he was before being sparked by Froch?

I do slightly disagree that Joe took Kessler apart I was there ringside and it was a good fight but Kessler is just hard as feckin nails, not a bloke to have a street fight him and Froch are cut from the same type of granite

I think he completely out-boxed him.

He won by UD, all scorecards, landing 1010 punches to Kessler's 585.

Kessler said, after the fight "he didn't particularly hurt me, maybe once, but it is confusing when he hits you 20 times when can't hit him"

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

I think he completely out-boxed him.

He won by UD, all scorecards, landing 1010 punches to Kessler's 585.

Kessler said, after the fight "he didn't particularly hurt me, maybe once, but it is confusing when he hits you 20 times when can't hit him"

Agreed he won the fight by a wide margin, but as Kessler remarked he never really hurt him with a decent shot, but there again with Kessler never seen him really shaken with any shot

Thing is you are never going to see FMJ in a dust up as he cant take a good shot as Mosely so ably demonstrated, thats why GGG would be a nightmare fight for him as he throws killer punches from ridiculous angles with both hands

I would almost go so far as to say some of his punches border on illegal particularly that looping over hand right of his catches opponents on top of the head

Given some of the stuff that Fury has been directing at Klitscho, it will be interesting to see how he backs it up next month and TBH it is a fight that I cant wait to see, for probably all the wrong reasons

Agreed he won the fight by a wide margin, but as Kessler remarked he never really hurt him with a decent shot, but there again with Kessler never seen him really shaken with any shot

Thing is you are never going to see FMJ in a dust up as he cant take a good shot as Mosely so ably demonstrated, thats why GGG would be a nightmare fight for him as he throws killer punches from ridiculous angles with both hands

I would almost go so far as to say some of his punches border on illegal particularly that looping over hand right of his catches opponents on top of the head

Given some of the stuff that Fury has been directing at Klitscho, it will be interesting to see how he backs it up next month and TBH it is a fight that I cant wait to see, for probably all the wrong reasons

You say FMJ can't take a good shot (and trust me, I don't like defending him), but isn't the ability to avoid shots half of the skill of boxing?  You don't win the fights he has without taking a few shots here and there.  Hatton caught him with a good shot too, but he was back to his normal self within 20 seconds or so.  I just can't see how people can minimise what FMJ has got as a boxer - supreme boxing skills. 

I know the point you're making about GGG, but I still think he'd have his head boxed off.  It is all well and good having killer punches (I don't like the term!) but it doesn't matter what angle you throw them from if they don't land.  I will keep going back to GGG's record of opponents and say he's yet to fight any of real proven ability.

As for Fury, I think it is laughable for anyone to think he'll stand a chance in a million against WK (not directed at your comment, more a general opinion).  I can't wait either, but purely because I want to see him spark out on his back. 

p.s. on Calzaghe opting not to face Froch - he had absolutely no reason to fight him.  Froch had nothing.  He was still largely untested, had nothing of note to offer and my understanding of it is that Froch's camp didn't want the fight because they knew very well what would happen.  It's the same situation as with Andre Ward.  If you put a skilled boxer, especially one with ridiculously fast punching ability, in with a scrapper like Froch - the boxer will always win.  The level of Calzaghe's skill can only really be appreciated when you listen to those that fought him (Hopkins being the exception because he's just deluded about the fight).  They all comment on an absolutely flurry of punches from a man who had shattered hands for the most part of his career.  Jeff Lacy was billed as the unstoppable machine until the moment the first bell rang against Calzaghe.  Brutish, thuggish, awesome punching power - he was going to wreck Calzaghe.  We all know what happened that night and Lacy never recovered from it.  Calzaghe annihilated him and his future in a way that you rarely see.  Incredible boxing ability and I still think that a prime of career Calzaghe would have beaten a prime of career Roy Jones Jnr - and I appreciate that is a heck of a statement to make.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

Joe's defeat of Jeff Lacy was his best performance in a ring +++ even though I was about a million miles from the ring in the cheap seats on the night

Best moment of the week Fury comparing himself to Ali in his pre fight chin wag with Klitsch

I do have to say though that I do get the mild impression that he might just be getting into the champs head with his antics

I am really looking forward to this fight and am totally with you on the preferred outcome, however we are talking Heavyweights and two guys with suspect chins

So in all honesty IMHO it really could go either way

Frampton.

He had a poor outing last time and Quigg is a very accomplished boxer.  However, I just think Frampton is one of those that can sometimes stroll through fights when he knows he's so much better than his opponent but will step it up against someone like Quigg.  I can't see anything but a Frampton victory.

I don't think he'll KO Quigg but I can see it being a UD and by a good margin.

I think the Rigondeaux fight is another mismatch.  I'm pretty sure Francisco has lost 2 of his last 4 or 5 fights and I can see an early stoppage in that one.

The reason I was keeping my gob shut was the (controversial) thread I started over 8 years ago. And tbh I didn't think he could beat Klit and I also don't find his boxing style very attractive. But switch hitting is difficult and he uses it well.

Any road up.......

http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/topic/98553-boxing-hopeful-tyson-fury/?fromsearch=1

The reason I was keeping my gob shut was the (controversial) thread I started over 8 years ago. And tbh I didn't think he could beat Klit and I also don't find his boxing style very attractive. But switch hitting is difficult and he uses it well.

Any road up.......

http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/topic/98553-boxing-hopeful-tyson-fury/?fromsearch=1

Ha ha.

Fury still unbeaten as a pro - Check

Haye didn't retire and fought after Klit and has come back again - Check

That's the thing with disagreements at the time, that's all they are, disagreements. Time however proves points.

I would be interested to know who his friend was on that other thread?

I am also pleased we have got an undisputed world heavyweight champion

(And have won the Davis Cup!!!!!) and he is a Manchester lad (after Crolla winning world title as well!).

However, I am not shouting too much, as I have no doubt I will be eating my words some time in the future when something controversial happens to TF.

It was Roy Keane and Eric Cantona who persuaded TF to be aggressive and controversial.

I also have seen him interviewed where he comes across as quite sensible and a decent guy.