New Travel Rules for SA

Andy_Bangle

If you're planning to visit SA with your children you better read on:

On 1 October, the republic will bring in the most stringent rules yet for arriving children. The new law, approved this summer, seeks to tackle child abduction and the trafficking of young people.

Any child arriving in South Africa must have a full birth certificate. And if both parents are not together with the child, the one who is travelling needs a legally endorsed affidavit from the other parent “authorising him or her to enter into or depart from the Republic of South Africa with the child he or she is traveling with.” 

In the case of a family break-up or if one parent has passed away, the travelling parent will need to produce a court order granting full parental responsibilities or the death certificate. When a child - perhaps a friend of the family - is travelling with adults who are not his or her parents, they must present a legal affidavit, plus copies of the biological parents’ passports and their contact details.

:ffs:

Edited by Andy_Bangle

Waylander hasnt been to the states again has he?

Bugger - that'll be brought in just in time for my December conference jaunt :(

Re Kids - my wife had to take a letter from me the first time she flew with our daughter back to Canada (without me).

Although oddly no-one ever contacted me to check if the letter was legit (!) and never been asked since.