iPhone 6 - anyone waiting to upgrade?

bells0

Had my iPhone 5 for over 2 years now, so getting tempted to bite the bullet and upgrade by buying the handset outright [as i did with the 5] when it's announced next week. Anyone else doing the same?

I know it won't offer much more over my 5, but the larger screen may be nice [would go for the 4.7 in not silly 5.5] as well as a better camera and hopefully battery life!

Mizumo are offering £175 for my unlocked 5. Sort of tempted to sell it now before the values plumit next week. Then leave posting it to them till the limit of 2 weeks to see what the price of the 6 is and when it will be available sim free.

Or do i sack Ios and go for something else for the first time in years?........................................

TBH I've gone right off iPhones, but love my iPads...

I just bought one of these (via BlackHat in Las Vegas a few weeks ago)...

Serious (attack) phone. :)https://www.pwnieexpress.com/product/pwn-phone2014/

Now looking at a BlackPhone for daily use.

I haven't a clue what half of the features are on that!! [can tell i work in finance, not IT!!]

I think you'll find it'll offer a lot more over your 5.  That's why I'm waiting too.  I'll wait until 2 months or so longer though so any initial teething issues are ironed out.

Would do that if the value of my 5 held, but i can see the offer of £175 rapidly reducing after next week, and it's cash i'd rather not lose. Still amazes me that it's worth that after 2 years [did cost over £500 though............]

I've had upteen calls and texts from O2 trying to offer me a "great deal" on the iPhone 5S - sounds like they've got stock to shift!

Am actually half tempted to go to '3' for their Feel At Home offer where you can use your UK subscription package (calls, texts, data) in 16 countries with no extra costs (includes France, Hong Kong and USA, my top destinations).

I switched to a 3 sim last year when 02 capped my data useage [was watching Breaking Bad episodes during my lunch hour!]. Truly unlimited data and cheaper too. The useage abroad must be a huge bonus for travellers [not me unfortunately, stranded in the Brighouse office].

I'll grab a 6 just because I can, but I have to say my interest in phones has massively wained.

I used to be interested as the iPhone gave the market a real innovative kick in the gonads, so it offered loads of opportunity in what I do for a living. Each cycle now just seem iterative and lacking in 'awesome'...I.e. it's become quite stable and mature.

As for platforms - I just don't get on with Android. I've yet to find a device that doesn't feel half cut together from lots of different providers...I have an iOS8/5S for my day to day handset, and it's a great phone...but I've also got some Nokia's (925/102x) and I have to say that if it wasn't for all the apps I have invested in over the years I'd swap to the Nokia in a heartbeat. It's just a better and more fun working environment.

Edited by Mac

I'll be upgrading to the 6 at some point in the next few weeks after release, i'll just give my 4S to my mum, as she needs a new phone and I can't be arsed with the hassle of selling it.

Still don't like Android, although it's significantly better than it used to be, it still amazes me that people think it's even in the same league as ios.

I'll never buy any Windows based phone, because i've been stung by their utter shitness before, and i've a long memory!

One of my mates who's always been an Android fan boy actually bought an iPhone recently, then sold it and bought another Android one, declaring iPhones to be "complete shit" and "constant hassle".

I know what he means, having to set up a user ID and enter it in to the phone one single time, so you can use iCloud storage, iMessage etc, you know, the things Android phones simply don't do. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately I think he set out to hate it from the start, i'm convinced he only bought it so he could say he's had both and Android is better.

I constantly ask him what an Android phone can do that a iPhone can't, and he can't provide an answer.

I don't know what that is?

Edit- i've just looked it up, it's just an app, so there will probably be the same or similar in the App store for ios too.

And looking at it's main features, it seems to just do what you can already do on an iPhone in the tasks/reminders app.

Edited by Tipex

Still don't like Android, although it's significantly better than it used to be, it still amazes me that people think it's even in the same league as ios.

I'll never buy any Windows based phone, because i've been stung by their utter shitness before, and i've a long memory!

all the apps I have invested in over the years

Two comments that summarise my views on the issue perfectly. 

My 5 works just fine at the moment, so I won't be rushing out to grab a 6 anytime soon.  I probably won't bother when the contract runs out, either.  But at some point after the contract expires, then natural causes will probably claim my 5 and I'd be very surprised if the next isn't a 6.

(Or more likely, a 6S based on how often I change them...)

I don't know what that is?

Edit- i've just looked it up, it's just an app, so there will probably be the same or similar in the App store for ios too.

And looking at it's main features, it seems to just do what you can already do on an iPhone in the tasks/reminders app.

It's an automation app for Android that can do rather a lot of things based on profiles and then tasks you create. 

For one small example, I can tell it to recognise certain gps locations or w-ifi networks and to do various things when it finds them or leaves them. I could have it text my wife automatically when I leave work. Or as soon as I get in the car, tell it to switch on Bluetooth, disable wi-fi and start navigation.

It's quite clever and very flexible. I have only created a few things with it. Probably the best one I've seen is where the phone recognises the users home network and via home automation add ons, turns on the lights and heating and uses wake on lan to boot his desktop pc. 

With regards to what you can do with the iphone tasks/reminders, it is in a different league. There may be something similar in the app store, but Tasker isn't. :)

No doubt that's all irrelevant and you can do all those things better manually without the need for a phone. ;)

For one small example, I can tell it to recognise certain gps locations or w-ifi networks and to do various things when it finds them or leaves them. I could have it text my wife automatically when I leave work. Or as soon as I get in the car, tell it to switch on Bluetooth, disable wi-fi and start navigation.

It's quite clever and very flexible. I have only created a few things with it. Probably the best one I've seen is where the phone recognises the users home network and via home automation add ons, turns on the lights and heating and uses wake on lan to boot his desktop pc.

That's cool.  I'd like that +++

I use both. An iPhone 5 and a ZTE Blade V running Android as a back up phone. I very rarely even switch the Blade on. There'll always be the odd App on either platform that offers things the other doesn't, but for sheer intuitiveness of interface and being a Mac user anyway, it's a no brainer.

I do tend to agree with Mac on the diminishing use of my handset though. The iPad Air is so good at everything now, and so damned fast, that I don't use the phone anything like I used to.

It'll get worse, not better - the traditional carriers are under attack.

Telephony is part of the product set that I deal with now, and it's diminishing as a way of communicating rapidly. It's turning into 'just another way of communicating'. What I mean by that is that it's now becoming software driven by your email, Instant Message client etc.... So, my bluetooth headset for example connects to my laptop and my phone - and I can answer my phone on *either* device. How much do you think I use my mobile? Almost never.

Now, couple that with Apple is doing with Yosemite and their iPhones - well, all of a sudden you just need your mobile contract and you can answer your mobile, text (proper text, not just iMessage) *from any device* in front of you. 

Sat in front of your laptop, with your iPad to hand...I'd put money on the handset being the last device you'll turn to.

The US is typically 12-18 months ahead of us in true business comms (honestly, I know they seem behind), and the idea of telephony being a first-line business critical service is diminishing at a rapid rate.

No doubt that's all irrelevant and you can do all those things better manually without the need for a phone. ;)

Well, as you guessed, it is irrelevant for me, because my heating is on a timer and my lights come on when I press the switch by the door.

I have absolutely no desire for any home automation type stuff at all, I just don't get it i'm afraid, it just adds more levels of complication and opportunity for failure.

You can set reminders up so it'll do stuff at a certain time, or when you reach a certain location etc, clearly not as much as that app does though.

I can't think why i'd want my phone to text the mrs as I leave work, I might be going to see thw bit on the side!

Well then, it will text the Mistress to get the gimp suit out with a convenient access to your rear and buckle up the strap on.

Saves you having to wait around when you get there :)

More seriously I think there's a bit of a wall now, you either use apple or android. They both do well for the user, but once you have either then there's a sort of tie in due to familiarity, apps, function, form etc.

• Like 1

I have absolutely no desire for any home automation type stuff at all, I just don't get it i'm afraid, it just adds more levels of complication and opportunity for failure.

A lot of why this is so interesting is because of the rapid rise in flexible working. The idea of 9-5 is disappearing in a lot of industries - and certainly in a lot of industries that tend to have people with money to spend.

I work from home a lot, but then I do random days away from home. I can control the heating, air-conditioning and hell, even my cooker all from my phone/tablet. 

Do I *need* it? Of course not. Is it cool and kinda helpful? Yes, absolutely. I don't come back to a roasting hot flat ( live on the top floor, it can often be 25 deg+ with no heating even in winter), cold flat etc. and I can also stop expensive stuff popping on if I get stuck away from home a few more days than I expected.

I get why it's not applicable to a lot of people, and why a lot of people wouldn't want it - but there's a whole raft of society that such things add flexibility to their way of operating, and there's a lot of value in that.

I guess it's a bit different when the mrs and kids are at home all day, i'd see no benefit whatsoever personally, aside from being able to choose my working hours, we otherwise live a pretty normal structured life.

Mostly structured around school times given that's what governs my working hours most of the time.

Do I think it's cool? Absolutely, but would I ever have it fitted? No.

We were given the option of a wireless room stat for our new boiler, I declined and had them fit a standard wired mechanical room stat.

Why? Because we had a (wired) digital stat before, and even that was a pain in the arse, wondering why the heating wasn't working and realising the stat needed new batteries.

Whilst I love tech and gadgets, some things just don't float my boat, I just want stuff to work with minimal input, if I come home early on a cold winters day and the heating is off, I press the boost or advance button, ten minutes later the house is warm, i'm not bothered that I could have done it from my phone ten minutes before I got home.

Some things are useful, some are an oddity and interesting. I get exposed - and access to - a lot of tech. Some stuff sticks, some doesn't. What doesn't? Well, stuff that is there just for being there. I don't use the 'phone controlled lights. Stupid - although a caveat to that is I can program them to come on when I'm away, and I get that.

NetAtmos weather stations - temperature/CO levels in my place. Nice from a curiosity perspective....but now, I'm reading about far smarter home alarms not set so much on movement but also on CO2 output spikes in a room. You can fool IR, you can't stop breathing. 

Stuff that I would not want to be without? Aircon/heating remotes, knowing when my lass gets home - this one is interesting, H knows that I know when she gets home, so if she's going to be late she let's me know - it's just easier, and less stress inducing.

Of course we don't *need* any of this stuff, but it's becoming an enabler to make things easier, and life simpler, and I for one and am completely in to that.

We (as in my family) have also used technology to build trust. My lass pretty much knows that I could get access to pretty much all of her technological life, and there's little she could do about it. We have worked it the other way however - we have trust. I get alerts if she's out of area, getting more extreme if she's further out of area. Sounds a bit creepy, but it's how we've always been, so it's acceptable, and she gets why. My ability for a sound of mind gives her more freedom.  The IT tech nerd & father in me makes me want her to carry at least two traceable items...but hey.

The Internet of things is happening, whether you like it or not.