What tyre pressures for A6 Avant black with 20" wheels?

avantissimo

Hi all, tyre pressure monitor went off on the car today so decided to check the tyres. Data panel on door says 44psi on the front and 48psi on the rears. This seems very high so I phoned the stealer to see what they said. They said 33psi on the front and 30psi on the rear. I'm totally confused as I check the doors panel a dozen times to check.

The car is a 2012 current model edition c7 A6 Avant 3.0tdi Quattro black edition with the Pirelli 20" tyre and wheel combination - tyre dimension 255x35xr20.

Can anyone with this car or knowledge of it confirm what your thoughts are?

Many thanks.

I phoned the stealer to see what they said. They said 33psi on the front and 30psi on the rear.

What the f***?!  Did you speak to the contract cleaner?  Or one of the receptionist girls?

30 is comical!

Go with the door panel everytime.  Take the advice of the Audi factory door sticker rather than your franchise dealer.....

• Like 1

The tyre wear is good. I've done 14,000 since new and the wear is very good. Quattro tends to mince tyres but this is the most ive ever had out of a set. The fronts have worn a little more than the rears but its even wear. Ride is not punishing either. Although it has the lower s line sus (30mm lower not the 20mm sport version) the ride in this c7 compared to the 19"s on my previous c6 avant is worlds apart as that car would snap your spine going over a leaf.

As for grip....yes its a big car but it just holds the road like a weapons grade vice. No complaints at all.

As for the stealer they had to ring me back after talking to a mechanic which is where those silly pressures came from.

So as suggested I will stick to door panel advice. There is a slightly lower psi for a lighter load so I'll be using that.

Thanks for all comments. As usual stealer advice is nothing but guff.

Interesting reading this.  Although not the same car (my car is a Jaguar XF 3 litre diesel) the wheel/tyre size is the same and the sticker in the door says 32 psi all round or 34 psi all round if laden or high speed motorway.  The XF must be somewhat lighter than the Audi I know that someone on the Jaguar forums ran a set of Dunlop Sport Maxx at 36/37 psi and there was noticeable wear around the centre of the tread so those pressures were too high.

On the A4 (so may/may not be the same for the A6), Audi recommend you run at max load pressures all the time .... unless you prefer a softer ride. Confusingly this information is not on the door sticker but only in the manual.

So for me (running 19's) I'm 39/44. can;t say I'm surprised by the Audi comment :( Was it sales or technical that said that? I always check my tires regardless of who fits them as they've been wrong so many times.

Tyre_pressures.jpg

Edited by Scotty

My 19"s are on 34 front & 32 rears I think.

That's on 245 40's.  But mine is a diesel A8 (54 plate) so still a heavy beastie.

I have never found quattros to mince tyres.  They have always been even over the axles, but front go quicker.  I get higher mileage out of quattro fronts than I ever did on the Bora.