Here we go again. (Carless in Chadwell Heath)

SneakyMcC

In 2000 the immobiliser on our car would sometimes cut the engine about 10sec's after starting. Then it got worse so off to the stealer. Ignition barrel sensor itermitent fault. New barrel from the motherland ready in few days. Money please. Few days later, not ready, fault in immobilizer too, ready tommorow. Oh, and more money please! Tomorrow comes. Sorry! Faulty unit where the immob fits engine man/sys, be ready tomorrow - yes, that'll be more money please!

Well the £200ish (parts-n-lab) new barrel job had miraculously turned into a £600+ job. crazy.gif

Now the fooking car is back at the stealers for what? An intermitant sensor fault on the ignition barrel mad.gif

Still, I can only hope that those (so far) nice people at Whitehouse in Dartford dont 123576-assfeck.gif me like the people the used to run the previous stealers service dept. Flush.gif

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, sometimes it's better to set the wife loose... grin.gif (no offense).

If you keep quiet they just keep writing, but I see no need to pay for their mistakes. If they keep replacing the same part again and again, that's rather obvious. So why should you pay for three if you need/get one? smashfreakB.gif

Too bad they have not determined your problem yet....so many mechanics try to fix electrical faults by "easter egg hunting", just replacing components at will.

Good luck! Tell your stealer to look at audipages.com for solutions to common problems for the A8, maybe they can get it right next time.

pw

Unfortunately my A8 suffers from the exact same problem, cuts out after 5-10 secs. Fortunately the fault only occurs once every couple of weeks, usually it starts second go. This weighed up with the cost of the fix, means I live with the fault, until the time it gives up the ghost completely !!!! frown.gif

This is weird my car does it too, but it has only done it about five time in a year, and has never left me stranded as it sorts itself out and starts again after a few attempts. It leaves a fault code stored on vag com but it just says engine start blocked by immobiliser, so could still be anything. I got a new key (£70 though) and that seemed to help.

[ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately my A8 suffers from the exact same problem, cuts out after 5-10 secs. Fortunately the fault only occurs once every couple of weeks, usually it starts second go. This weighed up with the cost of the fix, means I live with the fault, until the time it gives up the ghost completely !!!! frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I left it till it fail completely last time, but got five year old daughter and another in the making SMOKE6.GIF so cant risk leaving the wifey stranded. I fact, she is the one who says leave it shtf.gif

Glad y'all have let me know that I am not alone, will use this as leverage with Audi UK FIREdevil.gif Not that this will make any fooking difference. We had a spark plug failure 13mths (parts have 12mths warranty) after it was fitted. Causes alsorts to flash up on the dash and h/book says dont drive cause you could have raw fuel going down the zorst and could muller the catalyst. Stealer called to say that they'd asked Audi UK for a replacement plug under "good will" as it had failed so soon. he stealer called back to say Audi UK said "phuck-off!" (or what amounted to the same). Audi UK "customer service" has always been dung.gif in my experiences. They use to offer good tech/supp but just refer you back to the stealers.... 123576-assfeck.gif

The wife has been on to Audi UK. Unsually, they are trying to find a loan car, it might be here tommrrow (Tues) ECLIPSe.gif, plus they're looking into the delay in receiving the part (could now be 7 days EEK2.GIF). They are taking the matter as seriously as if this were a newer A8. They have assigned an A8 customercare assistant, saying an A8 is an A8. notworthy.gif

I've had the same problem on mine - 1997 model - generally I leave it for a couple of minutes and try again and it seems to be alright (although once happened three times in a row to boyf and he gave up and told me my car was broke!). I thought it was just it being an old car.

I've given up with Audi UK. Had a falling out with a local dealership who charged me over £68 to make and fix my new number plates to my A8 - that then fell off! Also, got a TTR and had issues over service. Not going down that road again - it took me over 3 months to get an apology letter written and I now have to drive either 30 or 80 miles to get to my preferred garages - although saying that - one of them did give me a brand new A8 4.2 quattro when mine was in for a service. Nice car, scarey cost!

[ QUOTE ]

I've given up with Audi UK. Had a falling out with a local dealership who charged me over £68 to make and fix my new number plates to my A8 - that then fell off!

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmm, new reg/plates are the only thing our local stealer did well. That prob not true, but boy, it feels like it sometimes. I think they charged about £13 or may be £20 for the plates, the materials were about £2 for double-sided tape grin.gif plus not much at all for the lab. Arhh, value for money at last.

Time is really crawling by, I want to go home and go cruising ECLIPSe.gif

Hey 'J', your postcode is not RM is it. The stealer in that/our area has caused some real howlers. Normally been 1 particular service adviser. Thank god she left. Tried my best to get on with her, but I guess my face never fit.

She once called me to say that my f/disks need changing while the car was being serviced. I asked why as they did not appear that worn through the wheels. "they're corroded, this will cause a difficiency in braking" was her answer. I asked where were they corroded, "Behing the wheel and on the outside of the disks" she told me. I asked about the ammount of wear, she didnt know. I said that the corrosion was'nt on the friction surface, how could this cause a difficiency in the breaking. She said that if I cant afford to serviv=ce the car, perhaps I should have bought something else! fekr.gif

In these circumstances, most people would have asked her "how stupid do I look?". But she would probibly have told me jump.gif

Just had my second call of the day from the A/UK A8 cust/serv manager. When the cuu=rrent repair are complete, they will have a look at the bill too! grin.gif

Oh yeah, 'J'. A/UK have a now got a dedicated A8 cust/services now, so your prior probs (hopefuuly) wont happen again. Nikkie Ried wont thank me for giving her name as the manager of that dept, so I wont. Ooops, please disregard that wink.gif

I'm off to buy a Lottery ticket wink.gif (when your luck is running, you gotta chance it, ugh?) SAUER0421.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

I'm off to buy a Lottery ticket wink.gif (when your luck is running, you gotta chance it, ugh?) SAUER0421.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, looks like I just wasted a pound. Cause my luck didn't run at all. The loan car that was meant to be here at "6 or after" is nowhere to be seen. openfire.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, 'J'. A/UK have a now got a dedicated A8 cust/services now, so your prior probs (hopefuuly) wont happen again. Nikkie Ried wont thank me for giving her name as the manager of that dept, so I wont. Ooops, please disregard that wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

She knows me all too well, have spoken lots and lots of times, took a long time to get what I wanted but she always remaind polite and proffessional, even when she was agreeing with what I was saying which contradicted Audi UK. grin.gif

Yeahhhhhhhhh! The loan car arrived this morning jump.gif

The plank delivering it took it to the local dealers instead of delivering to us fekr.gif Didn't read the delivery address, just saw romford and went to HW Audi who we dont use any more, our car is at Whitehouse in Dartford

The wife is packing our goods and chattles and the removal guys will be calling tomorrow. We're moving so we dont have to give the loan car back jump.gif

The wife has just called to ask me to come home to help work out how to work the handbreak and start the car ROLLEY~14.GIF I might pop home just in case the is a ruse to get me home to Christen the car UHOH7.GIF Nah... we're married jump.gif

• 2 weeks later...

How did you get on with this Sneaky, since I have had my car back the immobiliser has played up a lot more. On about 4 occasions in 24 hours (numerous times each occasion).

Have they found out what the problem is yet? and if so how much to get it fixed?

I have only ever had it happen to me about 4 occasions in 12 months, now 4 times in one day mad.gif I wonder if the fact that the car has been sitting still, (potential bettery drain) may be a factor?

Maybe too simple, but you never know: have you ever tried swapping the key? (assuming you have two remote 'switchblades').

I found I have to get closer to the car for the remote to operate. May be the batteries are fading (probably), but these keys do contain the code for the immobiliser (and f.i. having two different keys in the car may cause the immobilizer to lock). So any issues with the key (or something else interfering - might even be a cellphone?) could possibly cause this too.

Maybe worth an experiment or two, no?

beerchug.gif

Now aint that funny Matthew. Nikki called today to say the parts would be in on Tues of next week. Just when yours has gone back to you with the same fault mine had FIREdevil.gif

Was both keys last time, Always seems to leave the wife actually stranded and she dont have a mob phone, but you're right to think out side the box. I'll put my thinking cap on with regard the tip. Thanks guys. Oh and Matthew, If the parts swap keeps happening, in about 18mths time I'll be driving a newly resprayed 4.2 tongue.gif

For my situation it isnt going to be a warranty issue but there is no point in me changing a load of parts trying to find out what is causing it when that is exactly what they are doing with your car.

As it happens last night it happened outside my house, my good key (quite new) wouldnt start the car (well start then die) so I went back in home and got the older key, that wouldnt start it either. After a few minutes trying it all of a sudden decided it would work.

It seems completely random as to when it happens thats why it is so confusing. confused.gif

All of this time my cell phone was in my pocket switched on, so that didnt change.