BBC Watchdog - 30/10: Major security weakness w/ BMW/Audi/RR etc

Andy_Bangle

BBC Watchdog are going to take another shot car manufactures about their crappy locks and immobilisers.

The team investigate the major security weakness that leaves hundreds of thousands of popular cars (BMW, Audi, Range Rover etc), from around 30 different makes and models, vulnerable to theft. Is your vehicle safe?

BMW - Open to car theft?

As I'm sure you can imagine I've looked into this quite a bit - and in reality it does affect pretty much all modern cars. The issue comes down to the availability of manufacturer-aligned kit to do the decryption. Funnily enough, most of the free market kit is compatible with the more premium/German manufacturers, and less focussed on the Vauxhall's of this world.

Technically, the way they've implemented the key encryption (I mean key from a cryptographic perspective) is utterly retarded. The key programming uses a form of public/private key (again, cryptographic key, not car key) encryption - which makes sense. The idea is you never have enough of the key to be able to break the encryption. Here's where it falls down though - the regulations for being able to recut a (physical) key means that *both* parts of the cryptographic route are available at the same connection point.

Anyone who knows anything about cryptography will know how utterly daft that is, it breaks the whole point of it in some respect. There's not even third party key encryption (I.e. use another public/private combo) to gain access to the root.

It's bizarre really - electronic encryption done properly will negate pretty much anyone getting past it, and yet they've been forced (with little fight from the look of it) to implement it in a way that actually makes physical security stronger! You can't do this type of attack on my car now, due to some of my own adjustments to it. You not only need access to the car, but you need a couple of other things to decrypt - in effect I've added 3 factor authentication to it. Possibly over-kill, but hey ho.

• Like 2

Note the quote from the SMMT:

As part of the need for open access to technical information to enable a flourishing after-market, this equipment is available to independent technicians.

Translation: there was a policy decision from on high to release the information, don't blame us.  But hey - I'm sure all the EU officials involved have secure underground parking at their office so they're ok :coffee:

You can't do this type of attack on my car now, due to some of my own adjustments to it. You not only need access to the car, but you need a couple of other things to decrypt - in effect I've added 3 factor authentication to it. Possibly over-kill, but hey ho.

I don't think thats overkill - that's putting your computng know-how to good use Mac.  +++

Rife and common across the Midlands unfortunately. Started with BMWs (all models including mainly M's), then onto Audi's (mainly RS and S) and taking things like Focus's (albeit RS models) and Fiesta's on pretty much a daily basis now. RRs are the flavour down south as easy access to the ports, the cars are driven straight out of the UK

As I'm sure you can imagine I've looked into this quite a bit - and in reality it does affect pretty much all modern cars. The issue comes down to the availability of manufacturer-aligned kit to do the decryption. Funnily enough, most of the free market kit is compatible with the more premium/German manufacturers, and less focussed on the Vauxhall's of this world.

Technically, the way they've implemented the key encryption (I mean key from a cryptographic perspective) is utterly retarded. The key programming uses a form of public/private key (again, cryptographic key, not car key) encryption - which makes sense. The idea is you never have enough of the key to be able to break the encryption. Here's where it falls down though - the regulations for being able to recut a (physical) key means that *both* parts of the cryptographic route are available at the same connection point.

Anyone who knows anything about cryptography will know how utterly daft that is, it breaks the whole point of it in some respect. There's not even third party key encryption (I.e. use another public/private combo) to gain access to the root.

It's bizarre really - electronic encryption done properly will negate pretty much anyone getting past it, and yet they've been forced (with little fight from the look of it) to implement it in a way that actually makes physical security stronger! You can't do this type of attack on my car now, due to some of my own adjustments to it. You not only need access to the car, but you need a couple of other things to decrypt - in effect I've added 3 factor authentication to it. Possibly over-kill, but hey ho.

I've been thinking about this.  What we need is a second private key - something that cannot be copied on the spot and which the owner can keep somewhere safe, only taking it out when he or she wants to access the car. 

It needs to be simple and inexpensive, obviously, but it would be useful if it could be copied when needed, but perhaps in a way that took a while and made quite a bit of noise so that it would alert the owner if done on the driveway. 

Something like a piece of metal, maybe, that was an intricate shape and had to be fitted into a correspondingly-shaped slot in the car before the car would start? 

• Like 1

Lol, Fiat, Alfa (and others) always used to supply a red master key which you needed to do anything to the immobiliser or to make new keys etc, the theory was that you put the red key away somewhere safe until you need it, and use the normal black key day to day.

The problem with that, is that if you place the responsibility in the hands of the owner, it all goes wrong when they inevitably lose the key, the result of that being that if you lose the normal key, and can't find the red one, not only do you need a complete replacement lock set, you also need to replace the ECU and Immobiliser, which is quite expensive.

Having said that, if you are not a complete f*ckwit, it's quite a good solution to the problem, just don't ever buy a second hand car that doesn't have the red key!

The problem with that, is that if you place the responsibility in the hands of the owner

Not really a problem, so long as it's made clear to them :coffee:

Owner takes care of key, all is fine.  Owner is an idiot, has to pay to correct consequences of idiocy, all is still fine. 

Owner is sensible and takes care of car and key but car gets nicked anyway because distant Eurocrats decide that life should be made easy for criminals purely to pursue their vision of how things should be without asking owners in advance and without really thinking through the consequences but safe in the knowledge that owners cannot turn round and vote them out for their stupidity, all is very definitely not ok.

• Like 1

Not really a problem, so long as it's made clear to them :coffee:

Owner takes care of key, all is fine.  Owner is an idiot, has to pay to correct consequences of idiocy, all is still fine. 

Owner is sensible and takes care of car and key but car gets nicked anyway because distant Eurocrats decide that life should be made easy for criminals purely to pursue their vision of how things should be without asking owners in advance and without really thinking through the consequences but safe in the knowledge that owners cannot turn round and vote them out for their stupidity, all is very definitely not ok.

Well said. My thoughts exactly 

+++

• Like 1

Can I use that on another forum Mac?

There is a long thread about keyless security with a lot of bull5hit being spouted on AudiSport- and this is the answer to a lot of it.

As its security related, I dont want to post it without asking first. No problem if the answer is 'no'.

+++

Edited by Soulboy