I'm confused

patently

She's just asked me why it is that I want an M5.

I don't think I can be understanding the question properly. Can anyone explain it for me? As I understand the question, there is a possible state of "not wanting an M5" and I need to explain how it is that I am in the alternative state of "wanting an M5". But that makes no sense, so obviously I haven't really understood it.

Help! She keeps asking, and seems dissatisfied with my blank uncomprehending looks.

• Like 2

Tell her you need it to make you smile to offset her being so miserable about wanting to get things that you enjoy. 

I think I know what you mean... I think you're trying to get me slapped :roflmao:

What is the point of going out everyday and working so hard if you can't enjoy the proceeds. +++ +++

+++ +++ +++

I've got to be honest.....

I agree with her.  I love the M cars and the V8 is a stonking engine....but it is far too muted in that car.  The chassis, the power, all of it is such a quite epic combination...but they've completely ruined it.  When you buy an M car you want an aural experience - and you don't get it.

If you want to waft around quietly faster than almost anyone else, great.  But I suspect you don't...

If you want to waft around quietly faster than almost anyone else, great.  But I suspect you don't...

Actually, that sounds rather nice.  I've always liked M cars for their Q-factor, which started to ebb away with the E46.  The F10... Mmmmm :grin:

The linear push from it is very deceiving.  It is a missile of a machine and I know I'd lose my license in one, especially on a motorway.

Having owned a 5 series for 15 months now I understand why it is so successful as a model.  It just does everything so well.

However, put that monster engine in it and those fantastic seats (and in my opinion they're probably the best of any car I've ever been in), whack the M suspension and electronics on it...and wow, in performance terms it is a genuine everyday supercar.

But....

It just doesn't feel like it.  In a way I think it needs a flaw, or the noise.  One or the other would do it.  The steering does lack an element of feel but that suits the low powered diesel.  I didn't find it suited the M5 as much though.  The noise is more evident in the M6 and personally I found it a much better drivers car for a reason I'd find difficult to explain, but they're both incredible engineering feats.

I do think you'd find yourself thinking you wished you'd bought a 991 though....

Admit it, you'd just be too upset if I posted up  a 5 series display showing those kind of mpg figures :roflmao:

Ha. :roflmao:

Yes, I now get the jitters if I see the mpg drop below 45.

My average over 25,500 miles is now 47.8, and still rising. :roflmao:

The engine on the M5 is actually very frugal for what it is.  I don't think there are many cars out there that can compete with it in terms of power and economy (I know it isn't a factor, but it is still very impressive for the power figures it puts out).

I do have to admit something though.  If I wanted an every day performance car, one that I'd just pootle around in and boot it when I got the chance, and I could have something really loud and offensive in the garage to go with it, then it would be high up on my list.  However, I think I might go for a 550i instead...

My big bus has an average of 39mpg and a creaming straight 6 diesel, though I do nothing like the miles that you are doing, it it is so so quiet and has plenty of room for the kids.  

I'm thinking of going into chauffeuring at the weekends to get some more pennies.  :grin:

The X6 does 25 mpg.  The 6 cylinders are a fabulous engine - but I'd take mine every day (an indeed do) over it.   Recently MrsMe has been of a similar view and to be honest I can't see the X6 getting through 2015 without being changed.  A Range Rover is being mentioned regularly now and looks likely to happen.

The X6 does 25 mpg. The 6 cylinders are a fabulous engine - but I'd take mine every day (an indeed do) over it. Recently MrsMe has been of a similar view and to be honest I can't see the X6 getting through 2015 without being changed. A Range Rover is being mentioned regularly now and looks likely to be totally unreliable and a depreciation nightmare.

Ftfy :)

I thought the new models were proving much better?

Electrical gremlins aplenty.

One thing is for sure: If you have ever had an issue with a bmw malfunctioning you can guarantee it will be fixed. Get a problem with a Rangey and you are in the hands of the gods. It could never be fixed.