Yamaha 2015 R1 Launch

Busby

• 4 months later...

I am just consumed with lust for this bike. I've had the prior version R1 for 4 years and done dozens of track days on it but there was no denying its a beast of bike to lug around at times. Ride a 600 and its like a pushbike. Ride my sons 250 and its like its not even there... Anyway yamaha have really come up with the goods this time and answered my entire Christmas list and more.... Going to see the man this weekend and deals will be done.

2015%20r1_0.jpg

• Like 1

It's an amazing bike by the reviews I've read. For fast road use it will be good but it seems a lot more track focused than any R1 before which for many will be spot on.

At the London bike show they had one on the stand without the silver numberplate sticker. Looked much better. 

Send me your email and I'll send over the MCN review as I took piccies for some mates.

• Like 1

It'll be like the picture above. There was an R1M available but I couldnt justify (or really afford) the extra cost. The standard one gives me the fizz so I'm happy enough with that. Can't recall ever being so excited about a new bike... Can't wait.

It'll be like the picture above. There was an R1M available but I couldnt justify (or really afford) the extra cost. The standard one gives me the fizz so I'm happy enough with that. Can't recall ever being so excited about a new bike... Can't wait.

Did the R1M review I sent you not tempt you?

Over hear I reckon they'll swap hands for over book price. It may be a bike that could possibly be justified as an investment  :grin:

It did Scotty and I could have used some man maths to fund it but I couldnt live with myself chucking that much at a bike... did you notice how the press have said very little about the R1M ? yes its better but the standard one is very good too.

I do't think you'll find too much of a difference to be honest.  Similar to the HP4 vs the carbon variant.  I know that the M has electronic suspension but my feedback on the HP4 will tell you that it isn't the saviour of us all that the journalists will have you believe.  

I do wonder if mortals can actually exploit much of the difference between them?

Saw this on a trackday forum and thought it might be of interest.useful :

some technical information.
- engine bolts are not to be re-used 
- lightweight battery not recommended 
- other tech info...

---------------------------------------------------- 

Oil 
-Yamalube 15W50 Full Synthetic 

Engine Hardware 
-Aluminum engine cover bolts are not to be reused if removed. 

Intake manifold flapper valve to meet noise emissions 
-Opens at 7,500 RPM, closes at 7,000 RPM 

Electronic Racing Suspension (ERS) on R1M
-Suspension Control Unit adjusts Rebound and Compression 
-Preload is manually adjusted. Applies to front fork and rear shock. 

Cast magnesium wheels 
-Touch up any paint flaws/damage ASAP to prevent oxidation and additional wheel damage. 
-Aluminum plate placed between brake disc and wheel to prevent water intrusion and rapid corrosion due to dissimilar metals. 
-Gaskets in place on rear wheel sprocket carrier mounting towers to prevent water intrusion and subsequent corrosion. Gaskets must be replaced in sprocket carrier is removed from wheel. 
-Separate rear brake disc carrier used. No gaskets – thread locking agent prevents water intrusion. 

R1M body 
-Dry-carbon fiber used for front fender, upper cowl and side cowl 
-Dry-carbon stronger, lighter that wet-carbon, but 3-4 times the cost to produce. 

LED headlights 
-Not serviceable. Must be replaced if LED fails. 
-Lights and control units are easily removable for track-day/racing. 

IMU Inertial Measurement Unit 
-One-piece unit located under the battery. 
-Handle with care – do not drop or subject to strong shocks. 
-Do not attempt to clean the IMU with a chemical spray and/or compressed air. May damage breathable membrane. 
-Changing the battery to one of a different size (such as lightweight lithium-type) will affect the vibration condition around the battery box, which may cause the IMU to not function properly. 

Communications Control Unit (CCU) and GPS Receiver 
-Allows rider to capture ride data 
-Y-TRAC app for smart devices 
-Y-TRAC Data log viewer - analyze and compare logged data. 
-Send YRC setting to the bike via Y-TRAC. 
-Save YRC settlings for each circuit with tuning/setting notes via Y-TRAC. 
-Y-TRAC supports Android 4.2 and newer (available now) and iOS7 and newer (available late Spring 2015). Does not support Windows mobile operating systems. 
-Set sampling rates for logging via CCU Config 
-AutoLap setting – preload and configure race courses for automatic lap counting and timing via CCU Config 
-CCU Kit for standard R1 models: includes hardware kit, seat cowl and pad, CCU mounting brackets, CAN bus cable, GPS receiver, and CCU. Pricing and availability TBA. 

Traction Control System 
-Adapts based on lean angle – more sensitive the deeper the lean angle. 
-System monitors front wheel speed sensor, rear wheel speed sensor, IMU lean angle, and throttle grip opening angle. 
-Engine Control Unit (ECU) can manipulate YCC-T throttle control (reduce throttle blade opening), ignition coil control (retard timing) and fuel injector control (reduce injection duration) to mitigate traction loss. 

Slide Control System 
-System monitors front wheel speed sensor and IMU slide detection. 
-ECU manipulates ignition coil control (retard timing) to reduce slide and maximize drive. 

Lift Control System (LIF) 
-System monitors front wheel speed sensor, rear wheel speed sensors and IMU front pitch up rate. 
-ECU can manipulate YCC-T throttle control (close throttle blade), ignition coil control (retard timing) and fuel injector control (reduce injection duration) to reduce front end wheel lift. 

OHLINS Electronic Racing Suspension (ERS) 
-Manual mode allows for rider to fine tune damping adjustments to suit riding conditions. 
-Automatic mode allows for the semi-active suspension to continuously adjust the front and rear suspension damping forces based on brake pressure, vehicle speed, acceleration and lean angle. 
-System monitors rear wheel speed sensor, IMU lean angle and acceleration, and front brake pressure sensor. 
-Suspension Control Unit (SCU) controls suspension valve actuators to adjust front and rear damping. 

Power Delivery Mode (PWR) 
-System similar to D-mode throttle system found on 2009-2014 R1. 
-Four modes change reaction speed of throttle blade opening with respect to throttle grip position. 4 is slowest reaction, 1 is quickest reaction. 

Launch Control System (LCS) 
-Once activated, the system monitors front wheel speed sensor, rear wheel speed sensor, throttle grip opening angle, and engine speed. 
-ECU controls YCC-T throttle control (close throttle blade), ignition timing control and fuel injector control to regulate engine speed and power output to provide the best start from a standstill. 

Quick Shift System (QSS) 
-System monitors gear position sensor, rear wheel speed sensor, throttle blade opening angle, shift sensor and engine speed. 
-ECU controls ignition timing (retards timing) during up-shifts to reduce engine power and allow for transmission to shift to the next gear. 
-System only active when vehicle speed is above 12-MPH, engine speed is above 2,000-RPM and when the vehicle is accelerating. 
-System does not function when the clutch lever is pulled. 
-Allows use of GP shift pattern – shifter has a second pre-drilled hole for mounting shift linkage. Must 6mm x 1.0 thread pitch tap to finish pre-drilled hole. 

Anti-Lock Braking and Unified-Braking System 
-System optimizes front and rear brake force distribution. 
-Rear brake force is reduced as lean angle increases. 
-System monitors front wheel speed sensor, rear wheel speed sensor, IMU lean angle, and front brake pressure sensor. 
-ABS electronic control unit controls hydraulic unit to control rear brake force.
-System is not active under 12-MPH

• Like 1

Yamaha are doing a bit of reveal thing at dealers around NZ on Saturday so they won't release the bikes to customers till Monday. Should be available Tuesday. I have a two day track day on following Friday/Saturday which I was anxious about but looks fine now. Good place to get the hang of it and run it in (I am not a big believer in gentle running in ;) ).

• Like 1

I haven't read the MCN group test (R1, 1299, S1000RR, GSXR1000, ZX10,  and Firebalde SP) this week but have heard that the R1 romped it both on road and track.  

Apparently it was not far off a second faster than the Panigale on a lap of Jerez.  I'll try and pick up a copy today - I'll send it over Paul :-)