Is Eddie Howe the real deal?

billy2shots

Curious to people's opinion about Eddie Howe the current Bournemouth manager.

He took Bournemouth who were in administration to second in league 2 which promoted the club to league 1.

The next season he and the club narrowly missed out on the playoffs.

Burnly paid a large sum of money to have him as their manager but in truth he did struggle with the step up. He did however bring in Danny Ings (from, Bournemouth), Kieran Trippier (sp) and Charlie Austin (Howe tried to sign him from Poole town but Bournemouth had a transfer embargo at the time).

Austin is now at QPR and the other 2 players are the Burnly's best 2 players.

Howe returned to Bournemouth when things were going badly and they were on the slide. He quickly turned things around and went on a fantastic run missing out on winning the league due to a last second goal in another match.

Bournemouth gained promotion to the championship which is the highest league they have ever been in. Finishing comfortably in the top half, Howe again completed a minor miracle for such a small town club.

This season is going even better with the Cherries winning 6 straight (as well as beating WBA in the league cup to reach the quarter finals) which sees Bournemouth top of the championship.

So is he destined for great things in the game?

Edited by billy2shots

I think it is far too easy to say.

He has been in management 6 years, of which 4.5 of those have been at the same club.

It is also far too early in the season to gauge where Bournemouth will end up.  They could end up relegated.  Unlikely, but still very possible when you look at just how tight the entire league is right now.

If he gets Bournemouth promoted and manages to keep them up , that's when it'll be time to start thinking about what his next job could be.  Oh and if he does get Bournemouth into the Premier League then the FA should appoint him England manager on the same day - and I'm not joking.

I didn't say he needed to get promoted for the right for a bigger job.  I agree he's done remarkably well at Bournemouth.  He also seems a very controlled and professional character.  I like the guy.

I was responding more to the end of post question which was whether he was destined for great things - and I think it is too early to say.

I've listened to all the plaudits coming in for him over the last week or so, but the fact remains he has only been successful at one club and over a short space of time.

Dave Bassett did it at Wimbledon and there are countless other examples (and Bassett, as looney as he may have been at times, did a remarkable job).

Ah, I fondly remember him coming to Pompey in the Championship for a reasonable fee (400k) move from Bournemouth. Big things were expected.

He did his knee on his debut and was out for 4 or 5 months. Came back for the first match of the new season, lasted 9 minutes and collapsed in a heap again. And that was that. Last we saw of him. He went out on loan a couple of times to try and get his fitness back but never properly recovered.

However, I do think he's a very astute manager and have a lot of time for him, I wish him all the best, it also has to be remembered that he's only in his mid 30's so he's got a lot of time on his side. There's always that fear thought that he'll do a Moyes...

• 5 months later...

http://m.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/12899577.AFC_Bournemouth__Eddie_Howe_named_manager_of_the_decade/?ref=fbshr

Eddie voted the football league manager of the decade.

Hopefully not tempting fate here as even if Bournemouth fail in there bid for promotion this will still be the highest they have ever finished.

2 games to go, will the smallest team in the championship make it to the biggest league in the world?

Edited by billy2shots

He is, quite rightly, a Bournemouth legend and always will be.

But it's a funny old game, as they say.  He could move on (not yet I hope) and never rekindle whatever it is he has at Dean Court. The game is full of managers who achieved something special at one club and never quite managed to repeat it elsewhere.  

To become the real deal he'll have to break that and be successful at a bigger club.  Funnily enough, I'll see it as a positive sign if he does stay at Bournemouth another season or two.  Getting them into the Premiership will be an incredible achievement.  Keeping them up would be another level higher.  Then he'll be ready and the sky will be the limit.

I would be surprised if Bournemouth and Watford lost now.

Middlesbrough blew it when they got hammered at Watford a few weeks back.  They were also incredibly lucky to win 0-1 at Norwich.  I think they'll be the team that comes up through the play-offs.

I'm not sure how Bournemouth will fare if they go up.  I mean, I just don't know! 

Middlesbrough have the best Chairman in league football so he'll spend wisely and invest.  Watford have backing to spend too - but will they?

Watford and Bournemouth deserve to go up imho, the other teams have relied heavily on loan signings.

Take Bamfird out of Boro. Ibe, Ince and Bent out of Derby and Watford and Bournemouth would be up already.

Colours to the mast, I don't think Bournemouth will go up. If they fail to do it automatically I think they will be so devastated and fail in the playoffs.

If they do make it up I foresee unwanted records being broken. However what a crazy season that would be.

Either way I think Howe will be a premiership manager within the next 2 years.

Edited by billy2shots

I've heard Howe's name a couple of times being suggested as replacing Fat Sam at West Ham.

He has been mentioned but is way down with the bookmakers (I always reference them because they are so rarely wrong).

Benitez, Bilic, Poyet, Redknapp and Bielsa are all ahead of him.

None of them are the favourites though.

That is David Moyes.  He went to 2/1 and 3/1 with most bookmakers yesterday, completely out of the blue.

Oh I don't think Ashley will do anything of the sort.  It is widely known locally that he's looking to sell but nobody will come up with the money he wants, so he'll hang on and make an annual profit until they do.

Schteve isn't exactly backed by money at Derby anyway.

Personally, I think he'd be another disaster for them.

I think they should appoint him. :roflmao:

I'm out drinking with his nephew next Saturday so I will ask him. Eddie being Eddie will not have kept that quiet.

He may have to keep it quiet until it's all over

I heard it from someone who works for him but I'm hoping it's just EM bullshit