Audi RS3 Press Release

Ian_C

Audi-RS3-Sportback-MQB-type-8v-292.jpg

That picture is a shocker! I can imagine it being created thus;

"We want to show the car that is good on a racetrack, because that makes it looks sexy, yes, put a grandstand behind it, perfect, aaaah, we're not allowed to show excessive speed thanks to the ASA, so the wheels can't be blurred. OK, it's just parked outside a grandstand. That'll have to do. Now, we know that buyers will live in a city, so we need that too, yeah, just put a generic city pic and merge the two together. Ah. It looks crap. Add some zig-zaggy lines to merge them. Ah, it looks like it's driving off a cliff. Hmm. Is that the time?! Jesus! Cash in the Attic starts in half an hour! Yeah, publish, I'm off. See you tomorrow."

• Like 4

Hmm, not sure what the relevance of stereo-typing the M3 is, but the RS3 is still an A3 and you're almost certainly going to get a lot more standard kit in an M3 than you will in an RS3. Would you put both cars in the same class? I wouldn't.

However, it'll be worth £50k to those who it appeals to - although I would like to guess most of those will be existing Audi owners.

The point is that the engineering to turn an A3 into an RS3 is similar to the engineering to turn a 3 series into an M3.

Oh I get that part of it, but it's not as if it is even a limited run model like the 1M.  It's just a stock fast hatch.  I'm sure it is good at what it does, but I can't help but think that all fast car prices has got ridiculous now - indeed all car prices.  Even in a global recession they've (manufacturers) continued to push prices up 5-8% every year.

By the same token, an M3 is still a 3-series.  Yes, I know it's got a different engine and suspension, but so's an RS3 over an A3 - you get my point.

£45k+ though - feckity feck feck that!

Hmm, not sure what the relevance of stereo-typing the M3 is, but the RS3 is still an A3 and you're almost certainly going to get a lot more standard kit in an M3 than you will in an RS3.  Would you put both cars in the same class?  I wouldn't.

However, it'll be worth £50k to those who it appeals to - although I would like to guess most of those will be existing Audi owners.

Whilst that is true, you'll also have a very big difference in your fuel bill. :roflmao:

Garage space might be an issue, they might be convinced of the need for 4WD and all manner of other things. 

I know which I'd choose though and it wouldn't be the Audi.

As I said above though, I'm convinced a huge amount of RS3 orders will be from existing Audi owners.  They're good at keeping people hooked into the brand.

• Like 1

Can you blame Audi?  I mean, if they try something else... :roflmao:

:roflmao:

I'm pretty such convenience and familiarity plays a huge part - as does finance.

The massive increase in financed cars gets people stuck into a brand in many cases.  I know from speaking to my dealer that they have had people come in at look at cars that they've said they struggle to get out of them.  That tends to be because of the PX prices being offered, negative equity and lack of deposit and whatever else.

I know when we changed from the MINI to the Audi we could have got a far superior PX price to stay with MINI but it'd have been choice for all the wrong reasons.  Had that been financed we might have been looking at a different scenario.  The Lexus RX400 to the X5 was another similar one, where the PX was vastly more attractive on a new Lexus but the new RX model couldn't compete.  I'm pretty sure there'll be people out there who make the choices for what to some might be the wrong reasons because of that, but they might not have an alternative if they've got fixed into a deal.

:roflmao:

I'm pretty such convenience and familiarity plays a huge part - as does finance.

The massive increase in financed cars gets people stuck into a brand in many cases.  I know from speaking to my dealer that they have had people come in at look at cars that they've said they struggle to get out of them.  That tends to be because of the PX prices being offered, negative equity and lack of deposit and whatever else.

I know when we changed from the MINI to the Audi we could have got a far superior PX price to stay with MINI but it'd have been choice for all the wrong reasons.  Had that been financed we might have been looking at a different scenario.  The Lexus RX400 to the X5 was another similar one, where the PX was vastly more attractive on a new Lexus but the new RX model couldn't compete.  I'm pretty sure there'll be people out there who make the choices for what to some might be the wrong reasons because of that, but they might not have an alternative if they've got fixed into a deal.

The wrong reason for you, might be the right reason for someone else, or one of their right reasons.

That's kind of the point of PCP though isn't it. Never ending drip feed of payments, never letting you out.

Yep. It was the relish with which a salesman explained how PCP made it so, so easy for me to keep coming back to them for a new car every three years that completely and utterly put me off ever signing up for one.

• Like 1

. As I said above though, I'm convinced a huge amount of RS3 orders will be from existing Audi owners.  They're good at keeping people hooked into the brand.

My 'concern' with this car, the RS3 Sportback, is not the Price, it's not the styling, it's not the fact that it'll be bought by overly-loyal repeat Audi customers, it's not that it's an engineered A3.........

It's the fact that in my mind, it'll become the most "stolen to order" vehicle out there.

I sense a plethora of stories during late 2015 reporting these particular models being removed from driveways overnight or through car-jacking escapades at Forecourts.

I hope I'm wrong but it's what immediately hits me, personally, about this car!

I got told off for posting the Fortitude image on RS246 - "that's not an official Audi image" - but the same image is currently on the Audi website minus the background.  The rear wings are absolutely unmistakably wider.  However, several outlets including Autocar stating 24mm increased front track, but only 4mm increased rear track (which would be purely by going from 7.5 to 8 inch rims).  Hope the Audi picture comes true.....

http://www.audi.co.uk/new-cars/a3/rs3-sportback.html

1418806159425.jpg

Edited by Ian_C

• 4 weeks later...