2015 fitness thread

Soulboy

Maintain weight level. Keep up fitness. Sort out another mountain bike event to do. Maybe London-Brighton off road but The Beast event keeps telling me to do it again but better and quicker this time.

Honestly, anyone who wants to start to get fit and lose weight, a Mtb is a great place to start.

I've got my Roubaix hooked up to a turbo in the man cave. Honestly, nothing more riveting than 45 mins on the turbo staring at a wall

I feel your pain. Off to do 45 mins on the turbo now, have you tried TrainerRoad? Then you can stare at numbers and a little graph +++

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of doing something a bit mad for me. The Thames Path - Source to Thames Barrier.  Walk from source to Oxford and then cycle from Oxford to London. Probably in Sept / Oct and think it'll take about a week to complete.

It's something I've thought about doing for a while now and think it's about time I got it done. Any tips or advice would be welcome. +++

• Like 1

Build up slowly but train regularly. Do different types of training. Eat really well, reduce the booze. If you're not used to cycling long distance get some top notch padded shorts. Assos bib shorts saved my life and my arse. They're dear but bloody excellent.

Enjoy it!

• Like 1

Well it's about a 200 mile trip, the source (Kemble) to Oxford is about 60 miles so breaking that into roughly 4 x 15 mile walks, then the remaining cycle would be Oxford -> Reading 45miles, Reading -> Hampton 55miles, Hampton -> Thames Barrier 40 miles

I'll take a look at those shorts +++

My weight has crept and crept of the past 3 years. My muscle mass has increased but not to the level to explain going from 68kg to 83kg (Was around 10% BF which would be around 6.8kg FAT, now around 15% BF which is 12.5kg FAT so nearly double the actual FAT I'm carrying).

For 2015 I will return to 76kg and 10 or 11% BF. That's my target. +++

• Like 1

Goals for all races this year is to at least beat all of last year's times, with specific goals to be in the top 5 placed teams for Total Warrior (we were 10th placed team in 2014 out of 3,000+ entrants), to be in the top 10% of all male competitors for all the Spartan Races, and top 3% in my age category, which should be properly challenging as obstacle racing is getting more popular for people over 40 :)

• Like 1

As a matter of interest how old are you Mook? The reason I ask is I'm 33, very keen on fitness, but mostly weight training and short burst aerobic exercise (squash, spinning), but I have always hankered to do more in the style of triathlons and obstacle races. The reason I don't, I'm sh*t scared, to be honest. I wish I had a mentor to guide me into something like this but I don't, I have to take the plunge and feel I need to do it soon. I'm for the first time starting to suffer from proper injuries which is massively depressing and I'm starting to feel my age (Hip and forearm problems). Hence why I'm asking your age, as if you can do it at X age (I suspect you're older than me), it means I should get off my butt and do it at mine! 

My first proper Mtb race/event was last year at 49! 48 miles and not knowing what the hell I was going to face. 6 hours 31 mins later I'd done it. It was amazing. The best thing I've ever done. Totally, utterly knackering, dangerous, scary, madly fast (in places), unbelievably satisfying.

Don't think about it too much, just do it. You'll not regret it.

• Like 1