Mrs CarMads new car?

CarMad

So the deal is done. 

We took the Qashqai out with the new 1.6 Dig-T engine and it was very nice, refined and pulled pretty well. Driving wise it wasn't a patch on the BMW and it didn't feel as special inside but it did have a panoramic roof but no more space, probably less. Without the leather and some of the nice touches in the BMW it wasn't in the same class and it showed, could have paid the extra to get one with some plastic leather seats and a few extras but that isn't really what she wanted to do. 

I still think it looks better and has more about it than the 2AT, but the 2AT is great to drive. The engine really makes it and it flies when you keep it at the top end and its very very refined. Coming from a 5 year old diesel Qashqai its stunning how quiet it is when it wants to be but that little 3 cylinder engine is peachy smooth, expect to see more of it in 3s 5s I'd expect. The ride on both was similar handling better in the BMW and at motorway speeds it was quieter with less wind noise and road noise on the motorway. 

During today she has flip flopped between the two cars but in the end overall she has gone for the BMW. Neither car hit all the goals it has to be said but the BMW hit more and to her the badge and things like that aren't on her radar I don't think.

But we haven't bought the one we have outside. I called a few dealers and gave them her details and what we were after and it seems one really NEEDED to do a deal and I've got just what I was looking for to exchange we aren't doing any PCP things or anything like that. The dealer we got the 2AT extended test drive from didn't return my call so he hasn't got the sale.

But we did do a deal on a Mediterranean Blue 218i Sport Active Tourer with all the toys (list below) and only 800 miles on the clock for 6k off the list price and a good price for hers as a trade in. 

She is rather pleased, should pick it up next week as we haven't seen it yet but then they haven't seen hers either. 

• Cruise control with brake function.
  • High-gloss black interior trim with Pear.
  • BMW Navigation.
  • Park assist.
  • Comfort Access.
  • High-gloss Shadowline exterior trim.
  • Extended storage.
  • Heated front seats.
  • Driving assistant plus.
  • Extended interior light package.
  • Electric folding exterior mirrors.
  • Front and rear park distance control (PDC).
  • Reversing assist camera.
  • Adaptive LED headlights.

post-5382-0-12917800-1422739746_thumb.jp

post-5382-0-26743200-1422739756_thumb.jp

• Like 5

The Leaf has a permanent internet connection for battery usage data and downloads charge point and speed camera locations. The charge your car app also tells you of all the charging sites too and even let's you know whether they are available or not in real time.

Newcastle has a fantastic charging infrastructure and we use the Leaf loads at the weekend for as charging and parking are free, so we can drive into town, save £8 in parking and come back to a fully charged car :)

• Like 2

Looks excellent and, in my view, is in a completely different class to the Qashqai. +++

Yeah I'd have to agree, driving the two back to back and parking them next to each other helped us decided. 

The BMW really is a step up in quality, don't get me wrong the Qashqai is good but you can see where the extra money goes. The 2AT might live at the bottom of the range but in internal size (its got more rear space than a 5 series!) and the quality of everything its fantastic. There are a few touches that I'd like to see in the new 5 but even though its FWD the BMW DNA is still very much alive. 

Congrats, Looks good .... the BM's are very good in what they do and as above (imo) are in a completely different league to the squashed pie. Def ticks all the right boxes for build, engine/gearbox and tech, a lot of car for the money!

I'm sure you'll be both very happy for miles to come +++

225i AT looks to be a cracking family wagon, well done. I'd definitely have one over the QQ.

On the whole EV ve Hybrid vs Fossil car.  I thin the i3 is great, but only if your journeys are c20-30 miles.

The new Golf GTE or A3 e-Tron are a far better proposition in my view. 1.4TFSI with plug-in EV motor. Combined to give over 200bhp and a range of c580 miles. 6 speed DSG box, so not that shitty CVT thing you get in the Prius.  When the company 116dED's are up for change I suspect it'll be one of these or a BMW equivalent that will be bought as the BIK rate is very very low for the employee.

I've even been thinking of one as a daily myself !   :blink:

Edited by Biscuits

It does have the 3 cylinder and it sounds great, in first and second above 4k rpm it really races on; my better half was a bit surprised when I nailed it the first time and its so smooth up there, not coarse like a 4cylinder can be at all it gets smoother if anything.

Driving the 2AT back today we have made the right decision, looks wise not totally sold but as a complete package its very very good and will acquit itself very well as a second family car and its fun to drive to boot; result. +++ 

Oh and as for EV they are expecting to add the electric EV elements onto the 2AT later in the year apparently, now that would be great if they did. 

Definitely no added sounds into the car, check the video earlier in the thread there is a longer 5 min video and the BMW official specifically states no added sound. It sounds rather good to my ears and the engine sounds the same if a little less vocal but the same overall sound. 

As for how it revs I will do a video after she has got it and it races up there no problem and is incredibly smooth. Oh and as for smoothness its more balanced than a 4 which is why BMW always likes 6 or 3 it specifically stats in the blurb. +++

The design of three-cylinder engines means they are not subject to first and second-order inertia forces, while the balancer shaft included on the BMW unit ensures that it operates even more smoothly over the entire rev range. 

• Like 1

Pretty much goes against everything I've ever know about engines, odd numbers of cylinders are always unbalanced, the straight six is theoretically the best balanced engine design, and the BMW units have proven that time and again.

I would suggest some artistic license in their blurb, but obviously whatever they have done, has worked.

I've seen and heard the i8 at Goodwood, and I can't really say I thought it sounded much cop to be honest.

Edited by Tipex

The reason for that typically is most people who make a 3 simply lop a cylinder off a 4.

Maybe (I don't know) they have done what Laverda did in the 80's & made a 120 degree crank 3 pot instead.

They sounded muck better than the earlier 180 degree crank 3 pot.

Well the new BMW dealer is chalk and cheese, calls when they say, keeps in touch sorting things out very very good and what I'd expect to be honest. 

But annoyingly they have a big event on this weekend so aren't doing any pick ups... Grrrr No matter what I ask they are having none of it which is a shame because getting there in the evening is a bit of a hassle to say the least.

Fingers crossed we can get it on Thursday.

So we picked up the car yesterday and the experience was chalk and cheese to Bolton. BMW Huddersfield were excellent can't recommend them enough. 

A few photos of the big reveal which was a nice touch she wasn't expecting, she is very happy with her new motor. I can see it being the start of a happy relationship driving BMWs!

I've had a little drive and its really nice, plenty of power, very agile, lots of toys and to my ears that little motor has a very nice sound to it and I love the colour. I'm looking forward to driving it more and I can't say the same for the Qashqai which says it all. 

post-5382-0-16010600-1423263638_thumb.jppost-5382-0-10720500-1423263640_thumb.jppost-5382-0-17136600-1423263642_thumb.jppost-5382-0-01652300-1423263644_thumb.jppost-5382-0-80033200-1423263647_thumb.jp

Jolly good.  The unveiling is something a lot of dealers have been doing for a while now and I quite like it.

It also plays a practical purpose - stopping nosy feckers scratching or putting fingerprints all over your new car.

I remember picking up my first E46 M3.  There was a bloke with his young son looking at it outside (not under a sheet).  It was in a cordoned off area but that didn't stop the bloke letting his child walk up to it and start trying to open the drivers door.  When we got to the car for the handover, there was a mass of ultra-greasy hand prints all over the bloody door and handle.  Much of that is the problem of the parent rather than the dealers in my view, but it bugged me at the time.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

As I said earlier in this thread, we were there looking for assistance with choosing the future Mrs E's co car & they were VERY helpful indeed, nice to hear you found the same.

Yeah I remembered that you had mentioned them so when they had the right car in at the right price they were excellent from then, very good indeed. +++