To Warranty or Not?

CarMad

Good move. Got a call from a mate with an 18 month old M5 on Monday. Gearbox went into limp mode. He got home, called BMW at 7pm, recovery truck arrived at 8pm and replacement vehicle half an hour after that. There's service for you!

He lost all odd numbered gears. Do they have a double clutch system? If so, I'm thinking this will cost loads out of warranty.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

So I think I'm going to need to use my warranty. 

Looked at the car this morning and it was sagging to one side, got back to the car after work and it was fine. If it does it again I will have to get it sorted and it seems a fairly common fault. 

I suspect it will be the air suspension on the rear, I will probably call the BMW Emergency Assist and see how that works for me, no idea what it will be like on the extended warranty. First time I've had to use a warranty on a car I've own post company cars. 

So I think I'm going to need to use my warranty. 

Looked at the car this morning and it was sagging to one side, got back to the car after work and it was fine. If it does it again I will have to get it sorted and it seems a fairly common fault. 

I suspect it will be the air suspension on the rear, I will probably call the BMW Emergency Assist and see how that works for me, no idea what it will be like on the extended warranty. First time I've had to use a warranty on a car I've own post company cars. 

Didn't realise they had air suspension too.

My mate has a mk III Disco TD5?, with the air, and it's rear failed and needed a new compressor and possibly some bags.  It was about 1mm off the ground and he had to drive it too the garage.  I can't remember how much he said it was.  High 3 digits at least.

Well BMW so far have been excellent. 

7.45 call

8.00 call from Enterprise to arrange a car

8.30 car picked up and taken to garage

- Awaiting Enterprise to call back when they are ready to deliver the car to me. 

Hopefully its a quick fix a valve or an airbag I suspect. 

• Like 1

Enterprise delivered a 520d M-Sport a white one this time. 

I will get a second chance to post up what that dodgy motor that NNMM is like.  :grin:  :P

No news from BMW yet though unfortunately, will give them a chase tomorrow as I only have the replacement car for 48hrs potentially. 

Enterprise delivered a 520d M-Sport a white one this time. 

I will get a second chance to post up what that dodgy motor that NNMM is like.  :grin:  :P

No news from BMW yet though unfortunately, will give them a chase tomorrow as I only have the replacement car for 48hrs potentially. 

I love mine to bits.  I make no bones about it.  Given the choice between taking the Range Rover or the 520d out, I'd take mine almost every time (perhaps I'd take the RR in snow or icy conditions!).  I said the same of the X6 too. 

You know what the key to it all is?  Personal use and circumstances. 

Whether I'd feel the same if I didn't do the type of long hauls I do is another thing.   I could afford to have something that isn't as practical or economical in every respect for my use. 

I always think it is good to hear of what others think of the car you own though.+++

• Like 1