Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigjock85

help deciding which to buy

9 posts in this topic

Been in the impreza scene for the last 4years but im planning on a return to quattro audi's in the next month or so. Trouble is i cant decide between a S3 (07-09 due to budget) and a A4 avant 3.0 V6 TDI. Ive driven the A4 and was good and would certainly do after having a 350bhp impreza and sat i  a S3 today and plan on going back this week for a test drive when my wee boy isnt in the car. 

Both cars have similar power/torque, both quattros and both have way better mpg than the scooby. I just cant decided. My girlfriend only has a automatic license so she'd preferthe A4 as it can be an auto ( cant stretch to the S tronic S3's unfortunately).

Pro's and cons for both please along with things to look out for when i go looking.

Cheers euan

Well, it's all horses for courses.

Personally, I am a sucker for a multi-cylinder engine (petrol or diesel) over a four cylinder job. The A4 will have more space for 'stuff', and both can easily be tweaked and tuned (and you can cheaply swap the rear boxes on the V6 for straight pipes....... for more power, torque, sound). The V6 makes a decent sound as (imho) the noise the 4 cylinder S3 makes.

Not sure what S3 you were thinking of, as I 'think and hear' the 2.0l turbo (depending upon engine) has oil cinsumption issues later on in life.

Personally for me too, the S3 you are looking at, looks a bit old compared to the new S3 model? But that's just me.

My current V6 Tdi has got 245K miles (54 plate in an A8) and is still smooth as feck. Oh, goes well too!

Would the A6 C5 (57 plate?) be too big for the wife? They usually come with plenty of toys like the reversing camera, front and rear bleep bleeps, climate etc etc to make it easier to park. The Le Mans version is also rock hard suspension (like the scooby?) so goes well, corners well - BUT makes sure your get the quattro as I think, some of the V6 TDi (A4 & A6) were NOT all quattros. 6 speed auto in the A6 of that age, not sure if the A4s have the 6 speed or 5 speed auto?

Hope that helps!

Cheers for the input crusier. Regarding space for stuff she has a B5.5 passat estate with the 1.9TDI auto so im not sure we really need another estate (only got one wee boy). Ive seen a le mans up by me and does look nice but it might be too big but could be a replacement for the passat.

Wasnt aware of the oil issues will have to look into that. My 07plate A4 DTM didnt get the miles on it for that to crop up. 07-09 S3 is as far as the budget stretches im affraid.

Which ever i go for will both get stage 1 always found a wee remap makes a huge difference and would help bridge the gap to the scooby.

For your Stage 1 work, we all suggest going to a place called Shark Performance in Mansfield. He posts up on here, gets rave reviews as he will tweak the mapping for you and is a good guy!

If you don't need the space, then I suppose the A4 will be fine. What a mix in the middle of the A4 2.0l turbo quattro!

The A4 upwards it's permanent awd as opposed to 'when needed' with the A3/S3 chassis. Incase you didn't know!

You can always post up your options for us to have a peek at!

2008- onwards B8 A4 3.0 TDi quattros are under 10k now, a lot of car for the money, even more so if you want a saloon over an Avant.  S lines will be much more expensive than an SE.  Options to look out for are Sat Nav, B&O and leather.

Ive ruled out the A4 2.0T quattro as i looked at these when i went for the DTM version and they were maxed out at 240bhp iirc. Not too keen on tbe A4 saloons only one i liked was tbe DTM the rest just look i dont know as if somethings missing, much prefer the A4 avants. Id prefer the S line or S series for the styling and also the handling benefits over the  SEs. Her passat handles like a barge imo so after something firmer. My DTM had the in dash sat nav flip out version which is hopefully wbat i can get again. Am i right in thinking all VAGs 05 onwards are capablr of having cruise retrofitted, as looms were standardised from 05?? 

Yup knew about the "when you need it" on the S3's as had a 03plate one with a celtic tuning map on it. Only got rid as the turbo had stress fractures on it so was looking at over a grand to replace turbo and make it slower. But it was a great wee car, would have again but their 12year old now. 

Just looked and B7 S lines  are in budget but B8 are SE for me. Was originally looking at the B6s but looking to spend abit more now so 7's and 8's are in range after it was mentioned above. Need to see if there's one up here above my budget for a test drive

There is a A4 B7 (i think) on autotrader thats looking interesting.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201412239795526

Edited by bigjock85

That's pricey for a 2006!!  Also one of the earlier B7s, hence the less powerful engine.  The later B7s have 233 bhp.

If you are looking to spend that kind of money, I'd definitely go for a B8, even if you have to settle for an SE.  Much more modern car, more powerful, more economical, lighter, better built etc etc etc