Donington Crash

Scotty

Ouch, nasty impact, glad the driver's okay.  Definitely would have let go of the wheel before hitting the wall - although of course that's easy to say after the event....

Video hoster Max was the instructor I think at the Rockingham Lotus / VX220 day I went to with Techieboy many years ago

I'm Ryans driver coach and was at the circuit at the time (thankfully not in the passenger seat as I often am, or I woudn't be here posting!). The Donington Circuit TV showed the right-hand rear tyre "turn in" just before the incident which is classic toe-link failure on the Elise. It is a weak spot on the road cars but the race cars use substantially beefed up ones. They still take a lot of hammer though as you can see on this earlier lap which was the fastest lap ever seen at this circuit in an Elise Trophy spec car (previous records was 1:20.1, this was a 1:18.97)

https://youtu.be/1b_cbXCq5KU

Sadly the car will never race again as it was a complete write-off

ryan-smash.jpg

On the subject of HANS they are mandatory in the Elise Trophy and Lotus Cup UK Championships that Ryan races in but not across all series'/championships.

Maxx

• Like 2

Scotty,

Thanks

Been a member since 2010 but not been around on here for a while, spotted the post in a google search so thought i'd comment. I'm sure I've posted before but maybe you have had a re-org?

Maxx

Thanks for joining and posting Maxx.

Edited by MaxxUK

Yes, massively, caused major safety concerns when they did it at the start of last year. They have since move it back a bit but it's still MUCH further/closer than it was. See this comparison.

rolf-wall-compare.jpg

No unprotected concrete either, car would have likely had just clam damage.

Maxx

Max - Have Donington moved the wall at that spot? I vaguely recall some online discussion about run off, or lack of, compared to previous years.

Glad the driver is OK +++