GUY MARTIN vs MICHAEL DUNLOP @ 200mph!

Andy_Bangle

I don't know how they do it. I really don't. They must be the bravest motorsport guys going.

Ask Joey or Robert. RIP.

And Michael (Roberts son) watched his dad die directly in front of him.

I love motorbikes, love them to bits. Unfortunately when it goes wrong at racing speeds we know the likely outcome. The TT course has claimed a staggering 245 rider deaths since 1911.

The attached video shows what happens when it fails, and with the front end brakes jammed on its fairly clear the lad knew what would happen next.

Edited by Calm Chris

245 is staggeringly few when you think about it.

I hope Michael retires in good health, just to give the family a break. I hope Guy wins a Senior TT before he realises he's mortal and packs if in. If he ever could pack it in.

That's the other thing. The adrenalin rush is so extre it is highly addictive and awfully hard to kick.

• Like 1

There must be a line between bravery/bravado and insanity. I don't deny their skill levels and their balls but it only take the slightest mechanical issue, stray wildlife etc and it's game over.

I love watching it. It's totally enthralling and heat stoppingly incredible to ride on board with them with the great cameras we have now. I literally watch this perched on the edge of my chair subcontiously leaning side to side.

That video showed that Guy could close the gap and I'm sure if Dunlop was further in front he would have closed it but he doesn't seem to have that edge to ride that hard without a rabbit to chase. I truly hope he wins a TT.

As above I hope Michael stops in good health. He seems to have mellowed fractionally over the last 12-24 months but before that it looked like someone who had simply taken his brain out and was doing the "win at ANY cost" thing. I still fear for him but it is slightly tempered now.

Every year I say I'll go over for the TT and I've still to do it. I have to at some point. I just have to.

Watch the film 'Road'.

It gives great insight into road racers and the Dunlops. I have gone from thinking Michael was a brainless thug to being a genuine fan in the last 18 months. The lads talent is amazing.

Guy is a great guy but not on the same level as a racer. He might luck into a senior win but I foubt he will ever beat Michael or McPint on merit.

• Like 1