This looks awesome!

Scotty

I must have fallen asleep during the review, I watched The Gadget Show but missed that completely!

Being Android, the hardware will be obsolete and worthless in a couple of weeks, not to mention that downloading the majority of the roms required for the emulators is illegal.

Unfortunately, the handheld gaming market is in steep decline, the only people doing well out of it, and pretty much the only people who ever have done well out of it, are Nintendo, mobile gaming on your smartphone has taken over massively.

Shame really, I've still got my original Gameboy, an Atari Lynx 2, Gameboy Advance, Neo Geo Pocket Colour, Sega Gamegear, Nintendo DS, 3DS...

You can get £100+ for a boxed Lynx 2 console.

I have a collection of all manner of old computers and it used to be much larger.  I sold a good few years ago but I've kept some that I know will appreciate in value.  They tend to get to a point where they plateau and that's when I look to sell.  If I was you I'd be flogging the Lynx and having and nice meal out.+++

Yup, mine is boxed, has all the must have games (except Lemmings), I keep an eye on values.

I've got so many old computers and consoles in the loft, and a few not, Dreamcast gets played almost daily by the lad, I still play my NTSC Super Nintendo every now and again, there is a Sega Saturn set up in the games room too.

All of them are slowly appreciating in value, some more than others, you could pick up a working Dreamcast for a few pounds until a few years ago, but the huge online scene and release of a few new games created a lot of interest and values went up sharply.

Next time I go up in the loft I'm bringing my Amiga 500 down, and showing the lad what a floppy disc is, and how much they could do with such a tiny amount of digital space!

I have an Atari 600 in the loft, and in the past I've sold a 400 and 800.

There is also a Vic 20, C64, C16, a CPC 464 and 6128, Sinclair QL, Spectrum, ZX81 (I sold a ZX80 for £500, boxed), a Jupiter Ace, original Apple Macintosh's (x2 of which I have had an offer of £400 for the pair as they're both working, one better than the other, but have turned it down as I reckon I can do much better than that in a few years), the list goes on. 

Pride of place goes to a Mattel Aquarius, its own tape recorder and RAM pack (to take it from 4k to 20k).  The reason for that is simple - none of them have ever been opened and are still in the original shrink-wrap polythene!  I bought it from a company liquidating ancient stock about 15 years ago and they were the only ones wrapped. 

Oh...and because it is the very same type of computer that was my first.  Horrid blue rubber keys but my parents couldn't afford a ZX Spectrum so I had to make do!

I didn't really do consoles, other than a Philips Videopac. I went Spectrum. 48k,then a +2, then to Atari STFM, then Amiga A500. Although not my originals, i do have one of each of the latter gathering dust in the bedroom, to my wife's annoyance. She doesn't get the point of booting them up on an old CRT tv and playing shit looking games or watching and listening to my old Red Sector demo disks when there's Xboxs, a Wii and a PS3 downstairs.

Honestly, women ffs.

I have a Philips G7000 (Videopac).  Always the poor relation to the Atari 2600, again as my parents couldn't afford that!

I did have a Dragon 32 (until about 5 years ago) and a couple of the Humphrey or whatever it was called games.  The skiing version actually worked until the cassette got mangled.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe
  • Like 1

No Dragon, I do have, off the top of my head, and not including the handhelds mentioned earlier -

A pong machine, unsure of make, think it's Grandstand, Atari 2600, Spectrum 48k, Spectrum 128K, C16, C64, Amiga A500 with additional external floppy and 1 meg ram upgrade, A1200, Philips CDi (in parents loft).

Nintendo NES, Super NES (US version NTSC, faster and no black borders) Gamecube, Wii, Wii U.

Sega Megardrive (Japanese NTSC version, as with SNES it runs games faster than the PAL version, and in full screen without the black borders), Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast.

Playstation 1,2,3, Xbox 360

I also had a Sega Master System, 3DO, Amstrad GX4000, Amiga CD32 and various gaming PC's, but sold them off when it became obvious they were worth a silly amount of money and I didn't have the same sort of emotional attachment or memories related to them (mostly as they were all pretty crap, hence being rare) that I do with the others.

Everything is my original system, all boxed, immaculate and well looked after, I would never part with any of them.

My favorite is a toss up between the SNES and the Dreamcast, the Dreamcast is a massively underrated machine, and looks fantastic if you hook it up to a modern TV via a VGA Cable, which all modern TV's seem to have, if only we'd had them back in the day I reckon the Dreamcast would have fared a lot better, and the SNES simply has some of the best videogames ever designed on it.

I'm bound to have forgotten a few too.

Everything is my original system, all boxed, immaculate and well looked after, I would never part with any of them.

That's where we differ as collectors.

I collect them because I like them initially, but I never buy just because it reminds me of a distant memory or childhood connection.

I collect them with a view to putting them away for anything between 5 to 20 years.  Maybe longer.  However, I do so with an eye on selling them.

That ZX80 I sold for £500, for example - they were going for £250 a year later (I should point out that I also sold an Oric 1 for a lot of money that went on for even more money 2 weeks later!  So I don't always win!).

Maybe it is opportunist and a bit cold, but there are very few items I will hold on to (unless bought as gifts by MrsMe or the kids) if someone comes up with more money for it than I paid for it.  I don't see the point.  I can't take them with me when I die and the kids would probably send them to the tip!

Edited by NewNiceMrMe
  • Like 1

Nothing wrong in that, as you say, we differ in why we collect them, I simply kept all of my childhood (and teen) toys, well, my mum did to be more specific, I still have my old Scalextric and my old train set too, and a few other various toys.

It helps that I always look after things and always keep boxes, but I'm not interested in making money out of them, I own them simply because I like having them, and I still use them (albeit very infrequently for the most part these days), and increasingly I like the fact my son enjoys playing some of the older consoles, so the monetary value is of no consequence to me really.

I also enjoy the hunt for games for these systems, boot sales, second hand/pawn shops etc, and retro game stores, not been to a boot fare for a couple of years actually, might pop down the local one this Sunday.

All that being said, if they became incredibly valuable then I would certainly consider selling, but it would have to be big numbers.

I have a Philips G7000 (Videopac). Always the poor relation to the Atari 2600, again as my parents couldn't afford that!

G7000, thats the puppy. I couldn't for the life of me remember the model no!

I got that one purely as my parents saw that it had a keyboard, thus was more 'educational' than an Atari. Yes, they bought me the 'programming' cart! :roflmao:

The Assembler cartridge?  I had it too! :roflmao:

Did you ever manage to produce anything from it?  I didn't, and god did I try! 

Oh and the Pac Man ("Munchkins?") imitation and Astro Wars kept me amused for months.

The really cool thing about Munchkins was the ability to design your own game maze and play it.

Neo Geo anyone?? It is in my parents' attic along with an Atari ST and some other bits. Original Munchman, some Game and Watch games, Frogger and loads of Technic Lego. All waiting for the kids to be old enough (and probably terribly disappointed by).

An old school friend's firm is producing the Spectrum games console that went bonkers on Kickstarter. I have bagsied one!!

My mate had a Neo Geo, grey import, amazing at the the time,arcade games in your living room. £200 a game, £100 for an extra joystick :roflmao: Magician Lord was cool and the Ninja one and the mega scrolling shooter Alpha something. I have the roms somewhere on an emulator.

Original Neo Geo's sell for way more than £100, you'd be lucky to pick one up for less than double that.

Don't confuse the Neo Geo X Gold with the original AES, the X Gold is a handheld thing that plugs in to what looks like a Neo Geo, but isn't, it's basically just a convoluted way of getting the handheld to display on a TV, and use a controller similar to the original.