EVO: 5 things that are wrong with F1

Andy_Bangle

As for moaning drivers. They moan even when they win. Rosberg is like a broken record. To actually come out and say the guy in front nearly ruined his race was beyond belief. If he was going that slow just overtake, fffs.

Couldn't disagree more, I think all those points detract from the sport hugely, especially DRS.

Overtaking is happening more, granted, but by god it's boring watching a car overtake on a straight with a clear speed advantage.

I'd rather watch drivers taking a risk diving into a corner rather than sitting back and waiting for the straight knowing they can sail past.

I'd rather watch drivers taking a risk diving into a corner rather than sitting back and waiting for the straight knowing they can sail past.

No offence T, but that's a lot easier to say when it's not your little pink body in the driver's seat.

How many drivers a year did we lose in the "good old days"?

It might be easy to say, but it still makes the racing boring, and it depends what you class as the 'good old days'.

Since Senna died there have been no fatalities (aside from De Villota in testing), between then and the introduction of DRS there has been some fabulous racing, since DRS was introduced not so much.

Edited by Tipex

No fatalities since the last one, apart from the fatality :coffee:

I can see your point, really I can.  But diving up the inside of the corner is ****ing dangerous, and I'm not sure that should be the source of everyone's "fun".  At a totally different level of motorsport, I can understand the humour and ribbing when I bin it from time to time, but it still stings when you hit something.  Triple (or more) the speeds and that's quite a nasty scratch.

I also suspect that getting past on the straight is not as easy as it looks, even with DRS; perhaps more should be done to help us appreciate the work & skill that goes into that.

I can't see how DRS can be considered a safety feature?

Something that reduces downforce and increases top speed?

The type of corners where someone is likely to make that sort of move aren't going to be high speed corners, and I can't see how drivers going for overtakes like that is going to compromise safety, they can still do it now, they just choose not to because they know it's a piece of cake to do it on the straight, and let's not pretend it isn't.

Let's be clear here, I don't consider watching F1 cars crash and drivers being injured interesting, that's not what I'm saying, I don't want anyone getting hurt in the name of sport, I just want the sport to be more exciting to watch.

Harking back to the old days doesn't mean you want less safety, you can still achieve the excitement we used to have without compromising modern safety.

When you have to keep introducing more rules and regs to try and make something that used to be exciting more exciting, it means you've introduced too many rules and regs, F1 needs to be let off it's chain, that doesn't mean compromising safety though.

The drivers can always choose not to take that risky move too.

Edited by Tipex

Go racing some time, try it +++

I have, it's fun!

The thing is, you appear to be advocating the banning* of overtaking anywhere except on a straight, in which case they might as well be on a track day, or just go the whole hog and forget the circuit and race on a drag strip instead, or why not just decide the results by ballot? It'd be just as interesting.

*I know you're not, obviously, but I'm struggling to understand your argument? You could apply the 'safety' aspect to every element of the sport, and then there would be no sport left.

No, obviously, I'm not. Don't be ridiculous.

What I'm doing is putting across the drivers' perspective. People often ask drivers stuff like "why didn't you do x", to which the blunt answer that usually springs to mind is "you ****ing well try it if you're so ****ing confident".

This started because you bemoaned the fact that F1 is dull because drivers don't bother doing a dangerous thing any more, now that there are safer* alternatives. I just think that criticisms like that ought to come from someone who's shown themselves willing & able to do the dangerous thing. I'm not able to drive at that level (or anywhere near it) so am not going to criticise someone for not trying a potentially foolhardy move at three-figure speeds.

*all motorsport is dangerous.

Intrigued! Do tell!

No shit :roflmao: Tell me about it :)

I used to race my mates kart when I was a kid, in a local race series, not just down the local rent a kart place, after that we did banger racing for a few years, it's really, really hard on your body, great fun though, then girls, beer and clubbing came along and the bangers got sidelined.

Well the safest alternative would be to simply draw straws and decide who the winner is, doesn't matter that it's less exciting, it's safer after all.

Ooops, the straw man came to the forum and took all the discussion away :coffee:

Kinda the point though isn't it, where do you draw the line at making things safer? DRS was never introduced to make things safer, it was meant to make things more exciting, it failed.

By definition racing has to carry a certain amount of danger or it wouldn't be racing, those taking part have to either accept the risks and the rewards that come with it, or find something else to do.

Personally I don't believe the removal of DRS would make racing any more dangerous, that's just my opinion though, I respect yours as well, and I do understand your point, I just don't agree with it. +++

Edited by Tipex