Golf R420 - Confirmed?

Riz

Looks like Volkswagen are going to push ahead with a even more powerful Golf R.....

if the Car Magazine article is true, it will just be like the current Golf R with slightly different body work. Not as outrageous as the R400 concept so no wide-body or aggressive styling.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-shots/volkswagen/vw-golf-r420-2015-why-volkswagen-is-readying-a-super-golf-gti/

Lets see how it ends up once released.... and if they will release it in 5 door guise.

Riz :)

Edited by Riz

Knowing how much the media never embellish anything, it must be true ;)

It'd be great if it were true - and talk of "but VW won't let a Golf be quicker than an Audi RS3" (or whatever) I think will be flawed - I reckon they'll grow their market share through this and bring more people to the brand.  A car that a lot of people see as "the original hot hatch" raising the bar again.

It'll be interesting to see what really happens.

"IF" this car does get made, where does it end??

Means BMW, AUDI, MERC, FORD etc. all once again will have to significantly up their power outputs for their next generation baby rockets and we end up with a bunch of shopping hatches with 450+bhp :wacko:

Let's hope it has two less exhaust pipes than the current R.

Has anyone else noticed the two outer pipes don't even get used? The inner ones are always sooted up and filthy, the outer ones always still shiny!

Many cars (BM's/AMG? too) have this, where the other exhaust is only used when the driver floors it.

I'd have them all open!  Feck it! 

Many cars (BM's/AMG? too) have this, where the other exhaust is only used when the driver floors it.

I'd have them all open! Feck it!

Does the R have that?

I assumed it just had too many exhaust pipes for the amount of gas it flows, so it would follow the path of least resistance which would appear to be the middle two pipes.

The exhaust flaps on the R32 / Golf R / Scirocco R are to reduce noise and nothing to do with emissions, as far as I'm aware.

Certainly on the R32 it's easily disabled by pulling off the vacuum hose and blocking with a golf tee.

Edited by Cuprabob
  • Like 2

Except that the A45 AMG and RS3 are both over-priced sh1t.  Who the fúck wants a fifty grand shopping trolley with the same interior design quality as a twenty grand shopping trolley?

........that will guarantee to be on the 'stolen to order' hit list in the UK

Reminds me of a M135i I saw and had the pleasure of hearing accelerating away...

The geezer had fitted larger pipes and they more than filled the 'cut outs' in the rear bumper.

I put the window down and it sounded lovely!

That's what I'd expect a top Golf/Merc A or B to sound like.

For me, they need the extra to help distinguish between the £20K shopping trolley and the £50K shopping trolley.

Nice but how long until these go to the top of the tea leaves most wanted list. I understand regular Golf R's are already up there.

Also I wonder what re-mapped versions of these would be putting out?

Edited by max_b

I am sure I would..... the dealership has my name down for the very first Golf R420 if it ever gets produced. :) no need for fake deposits etc.

They know me well with them having served my needs since 2004. :o

I will get it booked in and report back...... :grin::P