Which Golf?

Muffinman81

Personally I'd rule out the V6 4Motion, it's neither one thing nor the other, none of the performance benefit of an R32, and none of the economy benefit of a GTi, it's a bit of a pointless car really.

Is your FTO a V6? Will you miss the noise? If so get the R32, you'll be used to the under steer coming from the Mitsubishi, if not, get a GTi.

V6 wouldn't get a look in, why would you bother if an R32 is an option?

Other than engine note, the V6 offers nothing, no performance, no handling, it under steers like a barge given the non sports suspension, it's heavy and a GTi is faster!

From your post, I guess you're looking at a Mk4 Golf.

V6 4Motion - lardy, slow, soft thirsty, boring to drive and very nose heavy.  Not much on the market to modify it - it's always been an old man's car

1.8T - OK, if it's remapped up to 180bhp, but not that quick.  Few handling mods around, but the best thing you can do is uprate the anti-roll bars

R32 - great car, as long as it has history. Nose heavy, but not as much as the V6 4Motion, because of the uprated suspension. Spend £2k on suspension mods and it's very quick in the twisty bits.

Thanks for the advice guys, i read that the 4motion was a possible sleeper car if tuned. i do like the idea of the R32, i guess i'll have to hang on to the fto a bit longer until i can get an R32. if i get any of the other two, im always going to be thinking about the R32 lol.

The V6 4Motion is a massively un-tuneable car.  It's naturally aspirated and is a mildly modified version of the 2.8 VR6 engine in the Mk3 VR6.  The R32 is a larger version of the same engine, but can be more easily tuned, because you can get after-market cams and decent after-market exhaust systems for it, like Milltek.

You can supercharge or turbo-charge the VR6 (whether 2.8 in the V6 4Motion or R32) but it's not cheap - a LOT more than the car is actually worth.

Have you considered a Mk4 GT TDI?  The 130bhp version is quick and you can modify it as well.  bit left field and yes I'm biased because I have a modified GTD, but having owned all the cars in your list except the V6 4Motion (I broke the main dealer's demonstrator and was put off buying one), then I'd really consider a Mk4 GT TDI +++

Welcome to Tyresmoke.

As an ex-FTO owner I can say that the 4motion Golf will be a complete and utter let down after the FTO, it wont handle as well, it wont sound as nice so I'd save yourself the disappointment and steer clear unless you are going to bin the engine and put a 1.8T in with the 4motion running gear.  The R32 is a totally different.  I guess the 4motion is more of a cruiser.

The TDI variants as Mook said can be quite rapid.  There is also the MK4 anniversary which came with 150bhp TDI or 180bhp 1.8T.  The 1.8T in this guise should map to around 210bhp ish and the car is fairly rare now I guess so should hold reasonable money.  The Anniversary comes with body styling and was Red, Black or Silver only and each was numbered internally.

I will say here that the same age Beetle handles better than the Golf so if you can put up with the look then they can be good fun but less practical.

• Like 1

A sorted FWD hatch will be as much fun as the AWD hatch imo.  The V6 engined cars did suffer in handling with the big heavy lump up front, both Golf and TT.

The 4 motion type arrangements in the smaller vag group cars isnt as clever as it could be and is heavy.

Depending upon Budget, there is the TT QS which was a 2 seat coupe TT, rear seats removed, recaro pole positions and 245bhp output.  Nice interior space and they seem to be holding mney quite well.

And does Muffinman81 realise the AWD Golfs are AWD* 'on demand'?

* can't remember if that applies to the R32?

Any system using the VW 4Motion Haldex-based system (V6 4Mo, R32), or Audi Quattro Haldex-based system (S3, RS3 etc.) has AWD on demand, but the switching controller is miles ahead of where it used to be.  You can easily modify it with an uprated controller - one of the first mods I ended up doing on the R32, so the switching is pretty much instant - yes, you notice it most on track +++

Quattro is a brand name, not a type of tech +++

Audi have put a lot of effort into persuading Courts that a word meaning "4" is not at all descriptive of four-wheeled things or four-wheel-drive things but is in fact a highly distinctive brand name. 

• Like 1