Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Andy_Bangle

Project Cars

6 posts in this topic

Paging @patently: Crowd-funded racing game Project CARS is out and from the looks of the new launch trailer it is going to be well worth the wait. Four years of development, testing and approval from both gamers and real life racing professionals...

You played it yet? 

I think most of the Caterham Academy have uploaded their videos. Is this yours?  :grin:

Edited by Andy_Bangle

Already got it.  Bought a new PC to run it on.  Am at Cadwell this weekend so am using it quite heavily for that. 

I'm having some difficulty getting the feel of the cars, like all sims there is a wealth of subtle feedback that it misses, so there is a learning curve to go through.  At the moment I'm spinning off into the gravel and the barriers will irritating regularity.  So yes, it really is that realistic. 

Seriously though, the two Caterhams that it has are not the ideal choices for me.  It has the R500 which is way overpowered compared to mine (oh, hello barrier) and a Caterham "Classic" which seems to be an underpowered K-series car from 2011 with Academy tyres - so doesn't correspond to any racing Caterham class that I know of.  Or any actual car, for that matter.  At the moment, I'm looking through the other cars to see if there is one that provides a similar feel and style; on Asseti Corsa I found the 458 GTR thing was actually quite close in that it had the same braking points and handling feel, just that everything happened at twice the speed. 

So yes, looks good, but a work in progress at the moment!

I've been playing it on the PS4 and with the controller it was almost unplayable at first. I'd like to be able to turn down the sensitivity a bit as I'm not using a wheel but there are no settings for that. 

The only thing I've been able to do is turn on steering help with is less than ideal. 

its certainly a realistic more road / race car like simulator to plan and most definitely not to be used as an arcade game. But for what its aiming to be it looks and feels great and the cars sound realistic at least which they all do often don't. 

I need to get a good wheel / pedal combo and get something made up for that when we get the garage conversion done!

I should add... I've looked closely at the Brands and Cadwell tracks, and the rendering is absolutely spot on +++

My first race was at Oulton Park and that looked pretty spot on to me as well. 

Just need to give it some time its not a game that you can instantly pick up especially if you try and play with a powerful car. 

1 person likes this